Page 1 of 12 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Commander 2019 Spoilers

We won't see spoiled cards for a couple weeks, but we may know the themes, because some store had this on their product page:

Each deck has a returning keyword ability as its main theme. The four featured abilities are populate, flashback, morph, and madness.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    We won't see spoiled cards for a couple weeks, but we may know the themes, because some store had this on their product page:
    I hope it's true, because I never really keep the decks together, so these themes seem way better in an "incorporate the cards into other decks" way.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

WHERE ARE THE SPOILERS!?
    I need some stupid morph/manifest shenanigans card to help me make dreadnought busted again!

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    WHERE ARE THE SPOILERS!?
    I need some stupid morph/manifest shenanigans card to help me make dreadnought busted again!
    Better take this time to make sure you already own Masks before they break it and spike prices!

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Previews start Thursday night, on the stream from Gencon, then will continue next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Better take this time to make sure you already own Masks before they break it and spike prices!
    How does Mask work with morph creatures? Can you "cast" them face down for 0, or does it have to be the cc on the front of the card?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    How does Mask work with morph creatures? Can you "cast" them face down for 0, or does it have to be the cc on the front of the card?
    You have to pay based on the cost on the front of the card. (This seems like a question for the rules section.)

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Illusionary Mask's Oracle Text specifically refers to it's Mana Cost, so, it's not just the CMC, it's the actual Mana Cost. So, you, for example, can't activate Mask to cast Savannah Lion by paying . As far as I know, the card having a Morph Cost, only effects what can be done with the Creature once it is in play. Since the ability of Mask specifically refers to Mana Cost, I don't think you can ever cast something with Morph off Mask for , since I am unaware of any Morph thing that actually has a Mana Cost of .

Despite being played less over the last few years the price has done nothing but go up.

You have to pay at least their normal cost like any other creature.
    BUT! If you want to turn them face-up you can using their morph ability. They will also trigger any "when you turn this face up" ability if they had one.
    Mask has no interaction whatsoever with a DFC, before anyone asks. A DFC can be cast as a face-down 2/2.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

You have to pay at least their normal cost like any other creature.
    BUT! If you want to turn them face-up you can using their morph ability. They will also trigger any "when you turn this face up" ability if they had one.
    Mask has no interaction whatsoever with a DFC, before anyone asks. A DFC can be cast as a face-down 2/2.
    God DFC are such a logistical nightmare. The fact that these are legal but I can't play my gold bordered from monoliths is beyond retarded
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    God DFC are such a logistical nightmare. The fact that these are legal but I can't play my gold bordered from monoliths is beyond retarded
    The logistical nightmare is well worth it to have given blue the best aggressive creature which wasn't at all idiotic.

May 2015
    PDX

The TLDR on Ill. Mask is that once a creature is printed with 0-2 cmc (upper right of card) + morph ability that say "win the game," the unmorph cost is actually zero [when played face-down via Mask] regardless of how much it's supposed to cost. Flipping over a Mask'd-in creature can be rolled into a mana ability making it faster than split second (i.e. any card that looks remotely like Springleaf Drum).

So I'm only half-joking when I advise people to buy Mask while they can; it's the only card that makes unmorph cost 0 - and one look at the text box of this card tells you they'll never reprint a card that does this. It's really only a matter of time before WotC pairs low cmc with game-breaking ability hidden behind high [honest] unmorph cost.

P.S. what is DFC? Down-facing card???

Double face card. Sorry for setting this all in motion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

The TLDR on Ill. Mask is that once a creature is printed with 0-2 cmc (upper right of card) + morph ability that say "win the game," the unmorph cost is actually zero [when played face-down via Mask] regardless of how much it's supposed to cost. Flipping over a Mask'd-in creature can be rolled into a mana ability making it faster than split second (i.e. any card that looks remotely like Springleaf Drum).
    I think something is getting lost here. You can't turn a face-down creature face-up just because you want to. Even with mask a creature can only be turned face up if it has a morph ability (and you still have to pay full cost for that ability), or using Mask's built-in replacement effect (deals damage, receives damage, assigns damage, or becomes tapped). If someone has a swords to plowshares, or a fatal push, you'll have to turn the creature face-up for it's normal cost.

Double-faced card. transform cards.

May 2015
    PDX

I think something is getting lost here. You can't turn a face-down creature face-up just because you want to. Even with mask a creature can only be turned face up if it has a morph ability (and you still have to pay full cost for that ability), or using Mask's built-in replacement effect (deals damage, receives damage, assigns damage, or becomes tapped). If someone has a swords to plowshares, or a fatal push, you'll have to turn the creature face-up for it's normal cost.

Double-faced card. transform cards.
    Nope-(ish), I think you've misread what I'm talking about.

The moment you tap a Mask'd creature = replacement effect -> face-up it. Morph/Megamorph is not needed to turn a face-down Mask'd creature face-up. Mask does however work exactly like you'd want it to if the face-down guy has the Morph/Megamorph ability. I was referencing Springleaf Drum; if you can tap a guy at will you can "un-mask" any time you feel like it. Without such an enabler, you merely need to declare an attack. Pretty much any declare block step will also suffice if opponent is compliant.

The thing it doesn't do is put a Delver face-down as a 3/2 flying.

May 2016
    Seattle, WA

Waiting for the torpor orb land WOTC...

Quote Originally Posted by Fallen_Empire View Post
    Waiting for the torpor orb land WOTC...
    *swoons, casting Dradnought Leveler and Eater of Days*

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I was holding off on preordering, then I realized that no matter what garbage they print, I am going to buy them all anyway, because I am an animal and have a problem. Completeness for completeness' sake. I have every one of the decks, except the 2016 ones (unfortunately).

At least eBay had bonus bucks right now...

Last ones I bought was when they did the 4-colour commanders, but since my EDH friends have now moved to playing only in proxies so I never buy any cards these days.

Thread Information