Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Commander 2019 Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    You guys can also look at this list that ewlandon 5-0'd with just last month. Just take out the joke cards, because I watched most of the League and he literally never cast much but 'Naughts, Delvers, and Snapcasters.
    Thanks! That's a cool list. It foregoes the Standstill plan for turbo-Xerox, which could be better but we get weaker to a resolved chalice. The Vision Charms and Renegade Dopplegangers are garbage (just too cute) and there is no Factories. I'm not sold on the list but it's a great piece of information! Much appreciated.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    That's literally my list I posted in the Dreadstill thread, with only 2 small changes: -3 Ponder, +3 Vapor Snag and I found a way to squeeze in 2x Spell Snare.

You sir are a ninja of fine quality.
    Haha! Thank you! It looks cool - although at first glace I worry that Scroll doesn't get dropped early enough? How's it play on your end?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Thanks! That's a cool list. It foregoes the Standstill plan for turbo-Xerox, which could be better but we get weaker to a resolved chalice. The Vision Charms and Renegade Dopplegangers are garbage (just too cute) and there is no Factories. I'm not sold on the list but it's a great piece of information! Much appreciated.
    Indeed, I agree with all of that. I think it's just a sort of "proof of concept" that Dreadnaught could work in the current meta. I think Scroll definite wants to take the deck in a different direction, which might be Delver-less. Although it is a little hard to say, off the top of my head, how good Factory is with all the W&6 running around.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by Matsu View Post
    I just do not see the potential here, I know it is cool to have a turn 2 Phyrexian Dreadnought. But is it really so powerful?
    Are there any powerful Morph creature around?
    Fathom Seer and Hunted Horror could be fun too, but they're not nearly as strong.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Also another route I guess maybe a weird standstill stompy variant:

4 Ancient Tomb
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Waste Land
    12 Lands

4 Mox Diamond
    4 Scroll of Fates
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Trinisphere
    2 Crucible of Worlds

4 Dreadnaught
    2 Eater of Days

4 Trickbind
    4 Standstill

4 Karn, the Great Creator

May 2015
    PDX

@Matsu
    So the word “Scroll” already tips us off that it plays nicely with Cursed Scroll, which in turn immediately brings us to what @Mr.Safety pointed out: Pox.

The closest cards to Scroll of Fate are Ill. Mask [tells you Dreadnought] and Aether Vial. Some immediate things to note is that this card is immediately mana neutral (for keyword morph/megamorph) once resolved, avoids the stack (highly uninteractive), and anti-Chalice in a way that can also play nicely with Chalice.

Perhaps most important is that it has a built in correction mechanism for drawing multiple copies...of any card including itself (as it can transmute any card in hand into an EoT PW-pressuring card). The lack of this feature is what kills a lot of build-around cards; a classic example would be any do-nothing enchantment [ex. Aluren, Opposition, Earthcraft, RiP in Helmerator, etc...] having no worse draw than another copy of itself.

Anything beyond the above interpretation translating to “they basically gave face-down strats what they needed: their own Mishra’s Workshop” is unnecessary. Going into the specifics of what cards with morph have more text is a topic that requires lots of time tinkering with Dreadnoughts to quickly get through.

It’s just very strange that legacy players would see the new Gibbering Descent2.0 and think it was the most legacy-playable card in this set, and that it would be in NicFit before any deck with say Rit and Lilly of the Fail.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Haha! Thank you! It looks cool - although at first glace I worry that Scroll doesn't get dropped early enough? How's it play on your end?
    I haven't tried it yet, but I get to 3 mana quite reliably with 21-22 lands and getting some extra draws from Brainstorm/Standstill. The problematic matchups are the hard-control matchups like Miracles and Grixis Control. KCommand and Terminus are hard to beat. Standstill and Factories help, but resolving and protecting a Scroll of Fate seems devastating.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Indeed, I agree with all of that. I think it's just a sort of "proof of concept" that Dreadnaught could work in the current meta. I think Scroll definite wants to take the deck in a different direction, which might be Delver-less. Although it is a little hard to say, off the top of my head, how good Factory is with all the W&6 running around.
    One of the few decks to maintain its stubborn usage of Spell Snare is Dreadstill, lol. Countering W&6 for U sounds good to me. I will definitely be sideboarding at least one Crucible to offset their Wasteland plan, but with so much permission in Dreadstill it should be hard to resolve one in the first place. I am more inclined now than ever to play Hydroblast/Blue Elemental Blast in my sideboard over Flusterstorm, simply for W&6.

I don't think Delver is the place to cut, we do need something that can hit before Standstill, and it's the best efficient threat in blue for that curve. I think the cards that Scroll of Fate replaces are one-trick-ponies like Vision Charm, Torpor Orb, or Mask of Illusion. Scroll does the dreadnought combo but isn't dead by itself.
    Brainstorm Realist

May 2015
    PDX

I don't think Delver is the place to cut, we do need something that can hit before Standstill, and it's the best efficient threat in blue for that curve. I think the cards that Scroll of Fate replaces are one-trick-ponies like Vision Charm, Torpor Orb, or Mask of Illusion. Scroll does the dreadnought combo but isn't dead by itself.
    Scroll is cleaner in many ways, but I think the pretty ridiculous power spike (instant speed, no stack use) means you're probably going to want a greater focus on protecting it. With Mask you often don't really care about it, and opponents will regularly commit to poor lines to deal with it (to their credit they kinda have to b/c at any point you can threaten to deploy 12-48 power without much effort). With Scroll, you're much more heavily incentivized to run a card like Vision Charm [and/or the less reliable, non-engine Veil of Summer] than you've ever been because Scroll is intolerable for pretty much any deck lacking combo elements. Torpor Orb is a way more aggressive enabler [meant to punish braindead ETB value magic] that can't really be compared in terms of function b/c Mask (and soon Scroll) are 100% there to beat Chalice while seamlessly advancing the Dread plan. While Scroll will see the most maindeck-play, that Torpor Orb will remain in many Dreadnought SBs because of how horrifically damaging it is to large swaths of the format.

It's also only a matter of time before Torpor Orb is either put on a land or they release Omni-Torpor Orb which stops ETBs, cast triggers (i.e. eldrazi nonsense, keyword storm, and Counterbalance/Chalice), and activated creature abilities. Let's be honest, creatures should only be a cmc in the upper right, and P/T in the lower right - who really wants to read the rest of that garbage in-between. Easy flavor text too: "At, When, Whenever. The End" -Phyrexian Scriptures

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Scroll is cleaner in many ways, but I think the pretty ridiculous power spike (instant speed, no stack use) means you're probably going to want a greater focus on protecting it. With Mask you often don't really care about it, and opponents will regularly commit to poor lines to deal with it (to their credit they kinda have to b/c at any point you can threaten to deploy 12-48 power without much effort). With Scroll, you're much more heavily incentivized to run a card like Vision Charm [and/or the less reliable, non-engine Veil of Summer] than you've ever been because Scroll is intolerable for pretty much any deck lacking combo elements. Torpor Orb is a way more aggressive enabler [meant to punish braindead ETB value magic] that can't really be compared in terms of function b/c Mask (and soon Scroll) are 100% there to beat Chalice while seamlessly advancing the Dread plan. While Scroll will see the most maindeck-play, that Torpor Orb will remain in many Dreadnought SBs because of how horrifically damaging it is to large swaths of the format.

It's also only a matter of time before Torpor Orb is either put on a land or they release Omni-Torpor Orb which stops ETBs, cast triggers (i.e. eldrazi nonsense, keyword storm, and Counterbalance/Chalice), and activated creature abilities. Let's be honest, creatures should only be a cmc in the upper right, and P/T in the lower right - who really wants to read the rest of that garbage in-between. Easy flavor text too: "At, When, Whenever. The End" -Phyrexian Scriptures
    I'm prepping for a 1k and i took your advice before i read it, lol. I still have a torpor orb in my sideboard.
    Brainstorm Realist

Aug 2019
    Berlin | Canberra | NYC

Hey ya'lls, long-time Source-reader/lurker here,

[came back to MTG/Legacy about a year ago, packing some Dreadnoughts that I literally pulled from Mirage boosters back in 10th grade and used Stiflenought to learn the Tempo game.]

Scroll of Fate literally made me sign up here, finally. Card's got me all giddy. (I'll say hi in the Dreadstill thread soon.)

So here's my current take on Delvernought, now with a couple of Scrolls thrown in:

4 Delver
    4 PhDs
    2 Jace VP
    2 Scroll of Fate
    1 Lazav, MF (used to be 2)

20 Tempo/Stifle
    2 Fatal Push
    3 Thoughtseize
    3 Spell Pierce
    1 Preordain / Unearth / Flex

4 WL
    8 Fetches
    1 U Sea
    1 Swamp
    4 Island

BTW: What a missed opportunity that was when EWLandon played that mono blue list full of clown cards... And FYI: JPA93 also 5-0'ed a UB tempo list with Bobs a couple of months back. As long as Tundra doesn't dominate the meta, this shit's got legs.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

Scroll of Fate is awesome....My new favorite card in a long time lol. Gonna be fun to flash in 12/12s at instant speed with force backup.

It's similiar to sneak attack...but 3 mana and no haste. Also doesn't die at end of turn.
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

Phyrexian Prision Dot Dec

4 Phyrexian Dreadnought
    4 Thought-knot Seer

4 Scroll of Fate
    4 Illusionary Mask

4 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 All is Dust

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Trinisphere
    3 Ensnaring Bridger
    4 Grim Monolith
    3 Sorcerous Spyglass

4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Ancient Tomb
    3 City of Traitors
    4 Wasteland
    5 Lands, Wastes

If you want more prison... It could also sustain a smokestack!

Board out dreadnoghts vs reamoval.deck and go full stax?
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Quote Originally Posted by Ace/Homebrew View Post
    Planar Map is legit the most fun way to Planechase. If I could pick up a set of the planes for $40 bucks, I'd do so even though I rarely get to play anymore.
    Just a follow up on this...

Planechase Anthology tanked the price of the planes. I just picked up a set of them for under $30.

Thread Information