Page 8 of 23 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Jul 2016
    Forever dark woods

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

This is OP for standard, should be ok in Modern and it might be played in some GSZ decks in legacy.
    The only downside is legendary.

Can this be abused in some sort of Storm deck to fetch the kill spell?

Do we expect a battle between blue mages? This might be a legacy and vintage must have.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Odd card for sure

last card is crazy. it allows you to replay for free black lotus and equipments and so on you just need a way to untap it for crazy plays

Quote Originally Posted by Poron View Post
    last card is crazy. it allows you to replay for free black lotus and equipments and so on you just need a way to untap it for crazy plays
    Yeah, anything like Mirran Spy or Paradox Engine is infinite mana with Lotus Petal or draw infinite cards with Urza's Bauble etc. (Edit: Discord has informed me that Jeskai Ascendancy also works)
    Seems really good even without any infinite though, just Seat of the Synod + Bauble into this on turn 1, mill 4, crack bauble, draw your free card then next turn replay bauble from the graveyard.
    Maybe there is going to be a blue bomberman lol.
    The power level of this set seems pretty high
    Last edited by Jander78; 09-10-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: added tags

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Is that something that Aeon Bridge or Turbo Depths wants?

Emry plays also very nice with Goblin Welder <3

Does Wishclaw Talisman work with a sacrifice effect to make it one-sided?

May 2015
    PDX

So if someone goes Black Lotus -> propose Emry to the stack, move to pay with Lotus, then they will have 1 mana left over right?

@Sco0ter Karn makes it one-sided

Edit: one more question: Emry's "you may cast this turn" - at instant speed?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So if someone goes Black Lotus -> propose Emry to the stack, move to pay with Lotus, then they will have 1 mana left over right?

@Sco0ter Karn makes it one-sided

Edit: one more question: Emry's "you may cast this turn" - at instant speed?
    If you activate wishclaw and then hold priority and sacrifice it to something (Arcbound Ravager or Goblin Welder or whatever) then you still get to search your library for a card but your opponent doesn't get anything.

Emry's 'you may cast the card this turn' still uses the normal timing rules for whatever the card is (so only at sorcery speed unless it's Etherium Astrolabe or Ethersworn Shieldmage or whatever)

[EDIT: I forgot the effect of the card] Yes, the total cost of a spell is locked in before you get the chance to activate mana abilities to pay for it so if you do this trick with Black Lotus as the only artifact you control then you will be floating a mana afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    So I think it's time for a rule's update, there is no way Questing Beast should be able to bypass Riptide Biologist. This is a massive flavor fail.

If you get this guy's power above 2 for the block, he should not take the damage.
    Who was the guy asking about damage on the stack the other day? Was that you? Do you also want to go back to protection is a reduction effect?

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Who was the guy asking about damage on the stack the other day? Was that you? Do you also want to go back to protection is a reduction effect?
    Naw, that was annoying when trample didn't work.

Poor Riptide Biologist only had one thing going for him and they took it all away#RIPtide

On a more serious note, the disregard for past cards is a little annoying even though many such cards are unplayable. Master of Arms comes to mind. Another fairly annoying deficit is that they failed to classify "double strike" as a "first strike" mechanic - Talruum Champion and Urborg should strip double strike, and everyone knows it. With Questing Beast - maybe make it any other creature type than Beast or Kavu; when you have protections that specific, maybe let them have that.

HELLO!

This guy will go nicely with another popular rogue...

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Yeah, anything like Mirran Spy or Paradox Engine is infinite mana with Lotus Petal or draw infinite cards with Urza's Bauble etc. (Edit: Discord has informed me that Jeskai Ascendancy also works)
    Seems really good even without any infinite though, just Seat of the Synod + Bauble into this on turn 1, mill 4, crack bauble, draw your free card then next turn replay bauble from the graveyard.
    Maybe there is going to be a blue bomberman lol.
    The power level of this set seems pretty high
    There are a few pushed cards, but the rest of the set is a dumpster fire so far. Adamant in particular forces cards to be overcosted.

Emry seems pretty strong with Jeskai Ascendancy:

T1: Land, mana producer like a Mox or Lotus Petal (yes, that works, just reconfirmed it), cast Emry
    T2: Land, Jeskai Ascendancy (either via Mox or replayed Petal - requires another 0 mana artifact then, though), go infinite, beat your opponent with an infinite/infinite+1 creature or whatever you can do while looting through your deck and eventually have infinite mana.

Since both combo parts are blue (FoW fodder) and reasonable costed, I can see some potential. Dying to GY hate and Karn is definitely a problem, though.

Edit: Robin Hood seems interesting, at the very least. Lack of evasion and combat-relevant abilities might hurt it, though. I guess it's going to slot in nicely into Human decks with all that pump from Exalted and Thalia's Lieutenant as a way to refuel against value decks since you don't have to give a shit about mana colors for it.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    There are a few pushed cards, but the rest of the set is a dumpster fire so far. Adamant in particular forces cards to be overcosted.

Emry seems pretty strong with Jeskai Ascendancy:

T1: Land, mana producer like a Mox or Lotus Petal (yes, that works, just reconfirmed it)
    T2: Land, Jeskai Ascendancy (either via Mox or replayed Petal - requires another 0 mana artifact then, though), go infinite, beat your opponent with an infinite/infinite+1 creature or whatever you can do while looting through your deck and eventually have infinite mana.

Since both combo parts are blue (FoW fodder) and reasonable costed, I can see some potential. Dying to GY hate and Karn is definitely a problem, though.
    You specifically need petal to be able to rebuy it from the graveyard i think. Mox sits there and cannot be recast... (And you forget to mention that Emry is cast on turn 1)

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    You specifically need petal to be able to rebuy it from the graveyard i think. Mox sits there and cannot be recast... (And you forget to mention that Emry is cast on turn 1)
    You're correct that I forgot about the T1 Emry cast. I wrote that you need another artifact to go infinite in the Mox case. To clarify, it would go like this:

T2: Land, rebuy Lotus Petal, play Ascendancy, play another artifact to untap Emry, rebuy Lotus Petal, go infinite.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post

Is that something that Aeon Bridge or Turbo Depths wants?

Emry plays also very nice with Goblin Welder <3

Does Wishclaw Talisman work with a sacrifice effect to make it one-sided?
    4 Summoner's Pact
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Once Upon a Time

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

HELLO!

This guy will go nicely with another popular rogue...
    Jayne! This card I'll call Jayne!
    He robs from the rich, gives cards to the poor.
    He got me a spell that only costs four.
    His reach is easily explained.
    The rogue from Eldraine, the card I'll call Jayne.

The black 8/8 haste trample Troll (3BB) and the green 7/6 vigilance trample Troll (2GGGG) probably aren't playable in Legacy, but darned if they aren't really, really strong cards in any format you can pay retail for them.

Actually the Green one might be playable in Legacy if there are legacy quality food token generators.

You could also mindslaver lock someone. Or tangle wire shenanigans. I want to build mono U stacks with her.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

This is the cheapest treason effect to date, which is noteworthy.
    I always wanted to try those effects as removal in Zombardment. I wonder if this card finally gives this idea any merit? Or is my janklust speaking louder than my reason, as it usually does?

Marit Lage

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    ... Or is my janklust speaking louder than my reason, as it usually does?
    Are you also thinking of combining it with Humble Defector?

Thread Information