Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

In fairy lore, food is used to trap people in the fairy realm. It could be some means to steal creatures?
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Kinda surprised they went with life gain on the Food tokens, given how bad life gain for the sake of it is. But they probably needed more artifacts, as the first spoilers hint at an artifact subtheme.

I like the flavor. But then again, looking at other cards, this is really "Disney Cartoons: The Set":

Edit: The Beast doesn't seem to be very picky, considering it also works with Mountain Goat. *implications intensify*

The set seems to be pretty heavily influenced by pop culture (if Ariel and Goldilocks are any indication, they're going with edgy/dark humor variants of it). Wouldn't even surprise me if the Arthurian mythology they promised is based on the Fate franchise, considering Sony is making fat bank with Fate Grand Order (over two billion/year). I mean, there was already art spoiled that is a blatant reference to Unlimited Blade Works, so there's that.

Edit #2:

Despite being expensive at 4 mana, the effect seems pretty powerful, especially due to haste (which make him also a Planeswalker counter).
    Last edited by Barook; 09-04-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Not really pop culture. Most of the Disney films are based on old fairytales.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i really like the art in this set.

notes on cards:

new birds of paradise that dodges 1 damage removal cards like W6, plague engineer, blocks lackey etc.
    rankle seems like a solid card, although with the "each player" clause it is highly intended for commander.

oko thief of crowns seems REALLY good. am i reading this correctly? the 2nd ability is permanent? really want to use this with liquimetal coating. oops your land/planeswalker is an ELK.
    -rob

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i really like the art in this set.

notes on cards:

new birds of paradise that dodges 1 damage removal cards like W6, plague engineer, blocks lackey etc.
    rankle seems like a solid card, although with the "each player" clause it is highly intended for commander.

oko thief of crowns seems REALLY good. am i reading this correctly? the 2nd ability is permanent? really want to use this with liquimetal coating. oops your land/planeswalker is an ELK.
    Really good is a little bit overstated. You're playing two cards that are not making any card advantage (Unless you start using the -5 and the +2 of oko, but your opponent has some 3/3 to attack into oko) and it's kinda slow...

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Turning opponents Walker or land into a 3/3 isn't the worst, but you do also end up getting attacked by a 3/3.

Also if I'm pairing a 3 Mana walker with coating, I'll just do it with Dack and take their shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Turning opponents Walker or land into a 3/3 isn't the worst, but you do also end up getting attacked by a 3/3.

Also if I'm pairing a 3 Mana walker with coating, I'll just do it with Dack and take their shit
    Dack can't steal shit every turn, though.

I recently pondered about a WGx Stoneforge deck that abuses Coating with Sword of Sinew and Steel, Pridemage and Knight of Autumn. Trygon Predator would fit in very well, too, if you go for the Bant route. This new Walker would probably slot in nicely.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, I got close on the Food tokens...I just didn't anticipate having to pay 2 mana, but like a Clue, I guess I should have guessed.

Well, that explains that.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Oh boy, the Healing Salve of Clue tokens... how dull...
    Unless there are a ton of cards that interact with Food like the Gilded Goose, this mechanic is a waste of time.

I wonder if the 'cast from exile' clause is part of the Adventure resolving, or permanently part of the creature.
    Pitching Flaxen Intruder to Force of Vigor and then casting the little girl seems likely not what they intended.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Mar 2007

Interesting. Do those cards count as both instant/sorcery and creature in the GY, e.g. for Tarmogoyf or Meren?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Oh boy, the Healing Salve of Clue tokens... how dull...
    Unless there are a ton of cards that interact with Food like the Gilded Goose, this mechanic is a waste of time.

I wonder if the 'cast from exile' clause is part of the Adventure resolving, or permanently part of the creature.
    Pitching Flaxen Intruder to Force of Vigor and then casting the little girl seems likely not what they intended.
    My guess is it would be part of resolving, something about the "Adventure" subtype, I'd guess. Otherwise, it would be kind of busted...

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Interesting. Do those cards count as both instant/sorcery and creature in the GY, e.g. for Tarmogoyf or Meren?
    Could go either way, but I think the answer should be no, it's just a Creature, but it's totally arbitrary.

But knowing how the mechanic works now, does make that Beauty and the Beast card vastly better.

I think the cast from exile is part of the adventure resolving (the creature goes on an adventure, then returns). I wonder how it would interact with stuff like Past in Flames. Would you be able to cast the sorcery/instant from the GY and then have the card exile and the creature be castable?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

But knowing how the mechanic works now, does make that Beauty and the Beast card vastly better.
    Trying to figure how it works exactly by reading the card... nope... Can you explain it here? :)

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Trying to figure how it works exactly by reading the card... nope... Can you explain it here? :)
    Cast the sorcery for 1 mana to get a 1/1 human, card get exiled. Then you can pay 3 mana to cast the beast from exile and he can attack the following turn.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    I think the answer will be yes, since it has all the trappings of a split card, with a complete card name, casting cost & typing along with the "main" card. So unless it's on the stack, then it should have all its attributes.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post

So you can cast Heart's Desire for , exile it (presumably on resolution) then can cast Lovestruck Beast, from exile, for .

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This seems like something that is on the cusp of playable in legacy, and definitely in modern. Having flash is pretty big and it's something that triggers for every cantrip you spend, even the shitty ones like Serum Visions and Opt. Brainstorm even triggers it on opponent's turn, which gives sly opportunities in combat.

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007

Seems pretty alright in my book. Can't get around Chalice @1, though.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I post this one because it has an important quality: it has a sub-type that makes it fetchable. If there is a set of these, one of them might become a decent 1-of tutor target in fetch manabases (modern and legacy.)

Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information