Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    This is not 100% correct. This is a deep dive, so let me give the tl;dr!

There are two types of packs now. Draft Booster Packs (which are rebranded Regular booster packs) and Collector Booster packs.

Here's what appears where!

DRAFT/REGULAR BOOSTER PACKS:
    Mythic: Regular Planeswalkers, Foil Regular Planeswalkers, Alternate Art Planeswalkers, Foil Alternate Art Planeswalkers
    Mythics/Rare/Uncommon: Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Alternate Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Alternate Frame Adventure Cards (There are 2 Mythics, 5 Rares and 9 Uncommons with Adventure Frame)
    Common: Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Alternate Frame Adventure cards (There are 14 Commons with Adventure Frame)
    NOTE: Non-Foil *COMMON* Alternate Frame Adventure Cards do NOT appear in Regular Booster packs!

COLLECTOR PACKS:
    Slot 1: Non-Foil Rare or Mythic with Extended Art. There are 10 Mythics and 48 Rares in the set that have extended art (All of the cards that aren't Adventures or Planeswalkers), and this is the only place where they appear in Extended Art
    Slot 2: FOIL Rare/Mythic - *ANY* Rare or Mythic, any version can appear here. This includes all of the variants in a Regular booster, all of the regular foil versions of cards, *AND* the only place where foil Extended art cards (from Slot #1) appear.
    Slots #3-11: Foil C/U - Any 9 Foil C/U from the set (including alternate-frame Adventure cards)
    Slot #12-14: 3x Special-Frame non-Foil cards. This includes the 3 Planeswalkers, and all 30 Adventure cards. *THIS IS THE ONLY SLOT THAT HAS NON-FOIL ALTERNATE FRAME ADVENTURE CARDS*
    Slot #15: 1x Non-Foil Ancillary card. This is any card that appears in a Brawl or Planeswalker deck, or the Buy-A-Box promo. *THIS IS THE ONLY SLOT THAT HAS A NON-FOIL PLANESWALKER DECK PLANESWALKER, NON-FOIL BRAWL COMMANDER, Or NON-FOIL BUY A BOX PROMO)
    Slot #16: Foil token. This is the only way to get a foil token from Thrones. 19 of the 20 tokens will appear in this slot (The Garruk Emblem will not)

Hope this clears things up!

Super TL;DR
    Mythic/Rare/Uncommon Alternate Frame adventure cards appear in regular Boosters in both Foil & Non-Foil versions.
    Common Alternate Frame adventure cards appear in Foil in regular Boosters, but do NOT appear in non-foil in regular boosters!

Chances are that this new business model is going to fall apart after a few sets at best (if not earlier), since WotC always runs any idea into the ground.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

This is not 100% correct. This is a deep dive, so let me give the tl;dr!

There are two types of packs now. Draft Booster Packs (which are rebranded Regular booster packs) and Collector Booster packs.

Here's what appears where!

DRAFT/REGULAR BOOSTER PACKS:
    Mythic: Regular Planeswalkers, Foil Regular Planeswalkers, Alternate Art Planeswalkers, Foil Alternate Art Planeswalkers
    Mythics/Rare/Uncommon: Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Alternate Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Alternate Frame Adventure Cards (There are 2 Mythics, 5 Rares and 9 Uncommons with Adventure Frame)
    Common: Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Regular Frame Adventure Cards, Foil Alternate Frame Adventure cards (There are 14 Commons with Adventure Frame)
    NOTE: Non-Foil *COMMON* Alternate Frame Adventure Cards do NOT appear in Regular Booster packs!

COLLECTOR PACKS:
    Slot 1: Non-Foil Rare or Mythic with Extended Art. There are 10 Mythics and 48 Rares in the set that have extended art (All of the cards that aren't Adventures or Planeswalkers), and this is the only place where they appear in Extended Art
    Slot 2: FOIL Rare/Mythic - *ANY* Rare or Mythic, any version can appear here. This includes all of the variants in a Regular booster, all of the regular foil versions of cards, *AND* the only place where foil Extended art cards (from Slot #1) appear.
    Slots #3-11: Foil C/U - Any 9 Foil C/U from the set (including alternate-frame Adventure cards)
    Slot #12-14: 3x Special-Frame non-Foil cards. This includes the 3 Planeswalkers, and all 30 Adventure cards. *THIS IS THE ONLY SLOT THAT HAS NON-FOIL ALTERNATE FRAME ADVENTURE CARDS*
    Slot #15: 1x Non-Foil Ancillary card. This is any card that appears in a Brawl or Planeswalker deck, or the Buy-A-Box promo. *THIS IS THE ONLY SLOT THAT HAS A NON-FOIL PLANESWALKER DECK PLANESWALKER, NON-FOIL BRAWL COMMANDER, Or NON-FOIL BUY A BOX PROMO)
    Slot #16: Foil token. This is the only way to get a foil token from Thrones. 19 of the 20 tokens will appear in this slot (The Garruk Emblem will not)

Hope this clears things up!

Super TL;DR
    Mythic/Rare/Uncommon Alternate Frame adventure cards appear in regular Boosters in both Foil & Non-Foil versions.
    Common Alternate Frame adventure cards appear in Foil in regular Boosters, but do NOT appear in non-foil in regular boosters!

So what you're telling me is... buy singles
    Gotcha
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Gotcha
    To be perfectly honest, even we (with my entire pricing team) have no clue what the singles that are collector-pack only are going to look like, price-wise. We still don't have stuff like "If there are 30 different cards that can appear in the Ancillary Card slot, do they each have 1/30 chance of appearing, or does a common appear more frequently than an UC than a Rare than a Mythic?" or "Do alternate Frame Rares and Mythics appear at the same rate (1/27 packs) or are the Mythics 2x as rare as the rares?"

So, just to check, with Wishclaw Talisman, if I target it with a Teferi bounce, then activate it, it goes back to my hand and I get the card, right?

Also, with some kind of Voltaic Key effect, I could potentially just use it three times before it ever went over to my opponent, right?

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    So, just to check, with Wishclaw Talisman, if I target it with a Teferi bounce, then activate it, it goes back to my hand and I get the card, right?

Also, with some kind of Voltaic Key effect, I could potentially just use it three times before it ever went over to my opponent, right?
    Correct and Correct! In fact - you can just use it to Tutor for Teferi, and then play Teferi/use it to bounce the Talisman :) Unless your opponent has an untap effect, it doesn't matter if they have it after you get Teferi.

To be perfectly honest, even we (with my entire pricing team) have no clue what the singles that are collector-pack only are going to look like, price-wise. We still don't have stuff like "If there are 30 different cards that can appear in the Ancillary Card slot, do they each have 1/30 chance of appearing, or does a common appear more frequently than an UC than a Rare than a Mythic?" or "Do alternate Frame Rares and Mythics appear at the same rate (1/27 packs) or are the Mythics 2x as rare as the rares?"
    I kind of feel like buying a couple collector's packs as a pure gambling bid. I mean, I think it's fair to say that nobody has any idea how valuable they'll be vs. their production run. Could end up with another value = to my complete sets of Fallen Empires, Chronicles, and Homelands, or they could be the next Wrenn and Six.

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    I kind of feel like buying a couple collector's packs as a pure gambling bid. I mean, I think it's fair to say that nobody has any idea how valuable they'll be vs. their production run. Could end up with another value = to my complete sets of Fallen Empires, Chronicles, and Homelands, or they could be the next Wrenn and Six.
    Remember - stores are being sent some amount of Collector's packs to give away (this time only) along with the buy-a-box promo. Might be worth it to buy a box at the prerelease, if your store isn't raising the price beyond normal box price.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    Gotcha
    I predict the extended art will be worthless, no real demand for those. The only ones that are interesting are the alternate art foil adventures. I'd like to know the drop rates compared to the non foil alternate art adventures. We should not forget the foil drop rates have increased since core2020, so my willingness to pay for pimp foils has also reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I predict the extended art will be worthless, no real demand for those. The only ones that are interesting are the alternate art foil adventures. I'd like to know the drop rates compared to the non foil alternate art adventures. We should not forget the foil drop rates have increased since core2020, so my willingness to pay for pimp foils has also reduced.
    The alt art adventures look nice, but I don't think I want them in a deck. They kinda thing I'd stuff a binder with.

Oct 2005
    Toronto Canada

@ben

After you and your team figure out all this stuff are you going to write an article about it? Like what the drops and rarities look like?

Either way thanks for the clarification of how these work.

Mar 2007

Can be bounced with both Karakas and Riptide Laboratory. Seems interesting, at the very least.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Can be bounced with both Karakas and Riptide Laboratory. Seems interesting, at the very least.
    This card will be crazy in standard. It feels like a blend between Frost Titan and Hydroid Krasis, both of which saw heavy play.

Seems like these 3 colour mana legends might be setup for a return of devotion in Theros.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    Seems like these 3 colour mana legends might be setup for a return of devotion in Theros.
    Adamant agrees

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This card will be crazy in standard. It feels like a blend between Frost Titan and Hydroid Krasis, both of which saw heavy play.
    A shame Dominaria is rotating out.

Naban, Dean of Iteration is hilarious with this.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    PO says "target permanents you control". If the wishclaw resolved even with the po on the stack you wouldn't control it anymore. Making it an illegal Target. However this is easily rectified by changing the order here and activating the wishclaw, holding priority, then casting PO.
    Ahh. Thanks for the correction. Either way, I think that interplay is pretty powerful. I'd expect the card to get adopted as a 1-2 of. If you enough mana artifacts to play a second PO having this on board makes the kill deterministic. And there's plenty of flex slots to make some cuts for it.

Mar 2007

Sunforger combo?

Edit: Also, T2 equipped Jitte swings with first strike.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Sunforger combo?

Edit: Also, T2 equipped Jitte swings with first strike.
    As good as he is with a sword, this knight 'shines' with an axe. He seems pushed and absolutely nuts with Bloodforged Battle-Axe

Turn 1: Mountain, Simian Spirit Guide, Fervent Champion, Bloodforged Battle-Axe, Equip, attack for 3, create another Bloodforged Battle-Axe, equip, GO

Turn 2: Attack for 5, make 2 more Bloodforged Battle-Axes, equip them, go

Turn 3: Attack for 9, make 4 Bloodforged Battle Axes

By now you can cast Time Sieve, sacrifice 5 Bloodforged Battle Axes, take an extra turn, if you do this on turn 4 in multiplayer, you take all the turns and kill everybody on the table. A bit wonky but def a commander play I could see in a deck like Najeela that already tries to do the same thing.

Also, the second Fervent Champion adds 3 power to the battlefield.

We're in red so we can use the equipments to sac to Welder or Engineer, throw them under an Arcbound Ravager, use Daretti, Ingenious Iconoclast to shoot things down, play with Mox Opal and Galvanic Blast, Shrapnel Blast.

Or you can play a good deck, but who does that?

I might try this thing out as an alternate plan in Painter for the heck of it, to abuse Goblin Engineer with this, Jitte or a sword.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    Main argument is past in flames.
    I don't think you'd play it, 4 Infernal Tutor and 4 Monkey Paw lets you run 4 Chrome Mox and 4 Mox Opal and just head for Ad Nauseam? Enabling Metalcraft and being able to break up the mana makes this faster than Grim Tutor from gold fishing, I think it will create its own Storm archetype.

bruizar

Fervent Knight -> I like this with Bloodforged Battle-Axe
    Murderous Rider -> I see this as a win condition for creatureless control decks. The lifegain synergizes well with control because it will help stabilize the control player.
    Robber of the Rich -> Dragon Stompy: blocks delver and provides gas while dodging chalice
    Once Upon a Time -> Modern Tron, Legacy Dark Depths, perhaps Storm combo like Land Grant. I’m not as big of a fan of this as others, seems overhyped
    Embercleave -> Not a good card for legacy, but useful in my particular stompy build. Want to try it out as a one off. Has win more written all over it, but it will be impactful in standard I think. Otherwise crap for legacy
    Mystical Dispute -> I think it only works for blue decks that can’t run red. Not a big fan.
    Gilded Goose -> I think this is very much a legacy playable, capable of putting burn decks out of contention, which is good for control decks.
    Wishclaw Talisman -> I don’t believe the hype. Teferi’s -3 is too expensive to waste on your own card. You want to protect Teferi and need to use that -3 on your opponent’s threats
    Seven Dwarves -> I think this will be surprisingly good in Draft and Pauper. Relentless rats costs 3 mana, this is only 2.
    Feasting Troll -> 9 life is nothing to scoff at, and recursion is good. Too bad you don’t get food with recurring nightmare, and too bad the thing doesn’t have reach. Yes, I'm talking NicFit. I also like Shimmer Dragon for blue builds.
    Questing Beast -> Sylvan Plug?
    Witch’s Oven -> This card is a great sacrifice outlet. Veteran Explorer gets 2 lands which can be used to sac the food for 3 life. I could see a fringe nicfit build with Feasting Troll and Witch’s Oven.
    Oko -> I’m not sure, but I’m leaning towards yes. I think the +2 is an amazing ability (its best ability). +2 life for Oko, +3 life for you provides a really great pillow, and you can shrink bigger stuff or build your own army once you stabilize. I’m so sad this is Simic though, wish it was Gruul.
    The Royal Scions -> I’m not super impressed, but it will be a good card. Just not one that can compete for slots with Teferi and Narset. Reminds me a bit of Elspeth with the + abilities, and reminds me of Chandra, Fire Artisan with the ultimate.

Of all the cards, I most want to get my hands on Golden Goose and Murderous Rider. I think Food is a great mechanic that favors control style builds and a combo meta, beause it slows down the format. Hard times for burn decks.

Thread Information