bruizar

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Giant Skewer is awesome. Shizz Kebab those creatures

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Echelon View Post
    They have clearly different names and types. One has the type Knight, the other has not. All you have to check is does the card have the type Knight? Ardenvale Knight does, therefor you can cast Ardenvale Knight with Haakon. Dizzying Swoop does not, therefor you cannot cast Dizzying Swoop with Haakon. I really don't see the problem. Dizzying Swoop and Ardenvale Knight are 2 different cards that just happen to share a piece of cardboard.
    I personnally don't know what is the exact definition of a card (like in Haakon textbox). physical card? or virtual card? Is Swift end // murderous rider one card or two cards?? I don't know and this is not as clear as you think (Although i'm enclined to believe it's going to be the way you say it is )

I would assume that they're to be treated like split cards ala fire // ice until the comprehensive rules are released.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I would assume that they're to be treated like split cards ala fire // ice until the comprehensive rules are released.
    Maybe but then they aren't the same as past split cards as only have the creature characteristic when in any zone but the stack. WotC is creating inconsistencies here that make it hard to know how these cards should work.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    From the Throne of Eldraine Mechanics post from Wizards, they say:

"While the card is in your hand, your graveyard, your library, even exile, it has only the characteristics of the creature, not the Adventure. For example, if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find a creature card, you can find Beanstalk Giant. But if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find an instant or sorcery card, you won't be able to find Fertile Footsteps."

So it seems like they are trying to angle it so the Adventures can only exist on the stack as they are being cast, in your hand, library or graveyard they are just creature cards.
    This does seem contrary to all previous complex card interpretations where outside of the stack with costs paid and modes chosen, the card has all of the attributes printed.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post

"While the card is in your hand, your graveyard, your library, even exile, it has only the characteristics of the creature, not the Adventure. For example, if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find a creature card, you can find Beanstalk Giant. But if you cast a spell that lets you search your library and find an instant or sorcery card, you won't be able to find Fertile Footsteps."

So it seems like they are trying to angle it so the Adventures can only exist on the stack as they are being cast, in your hand, library or graveyard they are just creature cards.
    This does seem contrary to all previous complex card interpretations where outside of the stack with costs paid and modes chosen, the card has all of the attributes printed.
    Except that explanation makes no sense, because the rules of magic don't allow you to cast creatures as inatants. That explanation doesn't allow it to have adventure as an activated, static, or triggered ability so how are they even castable if the creature part doesn't have any adventure part?
    Like I said. I'm waiting for the comprehensive rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I personnally don't know what is the exact definition of a card (like in Haakon textbox). physical card? or virtual card? Is Swift end // murderous rider one card or two cards?? I don't know and this is not as clear as you think (Although i'm enclined to believe it's going to be the way you say it is )
    What's the ruling on using bestow or morph when casting something from the graveyard with Haakon? (I don't think there are any knights with bestow or morph, but you can hit Haakon with Artificial Evolution.)

Does that mean that you can cast the adventure part of one of these cards with mana created from food chain? That would be sweet!

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    What's the ruling on using bestow or morph when casting something from the graveyard with Haakon? (I don't think there are any knights with bestow or morph, but you can hit Haakon with Artificial Evolution.)
    Yes on bestow, no on morph... I think.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Do we all agree that it is gonna be a mess?

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    Do we all agree that it is gonna be a mess?
    I mean, yeah no surprises here

I'm close to advocating just doing a copypaste split card rules text, so in your hand Bonecrusher Giant//Stomp is a Creature Instant - Giant Adventure with CMC 5.
    Once you cast Stomp, it's not a creature spell, so Food Chain isn't applicable.
    You might need to add some lines to clarify that if you cast Reanimate on the creature you get the creature, and not the spell half.

Beyond that, what issues could arise from having cardtype Instant on the battlefield?

May 2015
    PDX

I mean, yeah no surprises here

I'm close to advocating just doing a copypaste split card rules text, so in your hand Bonecrusher Giant//Stomp is a Creature Instant - Giant Adventure with CMC 5.

Beyond that, what issues could arise from having cardtype Instant on the battlefield?
    Does EE on 3 kill him or do you need EE on 5. Can ask same question with Decay.

Does anyone want to post a pic of the Green Legendary Artifact - The Great Henge?

It's pretty stupid good. Could definitely slot into Elves! as an additional Glimpse of Nature effect.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Does anyone want to post a pic of the Green Legendary Artifact - The Great Henge?

It's pretty stupid good. Could definitely slot into Elves! as an additional Glimpse of Nature effect.

Seems interesting, but the cost is pretty high, even with cost reduction. Could do some work with KotR, though.

I...I just don't know? Is every cantrip = a bolt good? For 3 mana?

Mar 2007

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

I...I just don't know? Is every cantrip = a bolt good? For 3 mana?
    3 mana is somewhat expensive for doing nothing on its own, but Keranos as repeatable bolt machine saw play, so there's that. Any Howling Mine effect also makes it pretty reliable, as does JMS.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    3 mana is somewhat expensive for doing nothing on its own, but Keranos as repeatable bolt machine saw play, so there's that. Any Howling Mine effect also makes it pretty reliable, as does JMS.
    It's slow for traditional UR Delver.

But even a slow version still playing 9-10 cantrips, if you can curve Ponder into Dreadhorde Arcanist into this, attacking gets you a free Ponder & 3 damage? Tempting.

Mar 2007

But even a slow version still playing 9-10 cantrips, if you can curve Ponder into Dreadhorde Arcanist into this, attacking gets you a free Ponder & 3 damage? Tempting.
    For what it's worth, it would also combo nicely with Sylvan Library. Or Wrenn & Six with a cycle land.

It might find its way into midrange decks, most prominently blue ones. As if we needed another reason why Brainstorm is bullshit.

3 mana is a lot for something that can just as easily end up sitting around doing nothing. I can get a TNN for 3 mana and that gets to bolt face every turn too but unconditionally and much harder to remove.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's much better alongside Sylvan Library, where you are guaranteed extra "draw"s every turn for 0 mana. Edit: Ninja'd by Barook.

Also works in slow URx decks (e.g. Grixis Pyromancer). Delver does not want this do-nothing durdle.

Edit: speaking of Ninjas, this works well with Ninja of the Deep Hours

Thread Information