Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Re: Throne of Eldraine Spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    The only way to curl the monkey's paw is....to give it to your opponent?
    I mean does this have any Affinity applications? Activate, sac to Ravager?

Lol so if you go off that turn it's just Grim Tutor and you can even split the cost over multiple turns? And if you have key etc then you can easily do it twice? Donate it to the opp then chain of vapor it back to your hand or whatever

Definitely going to see play somewhere

Edit: you can search for animatou with it and then blink it with the -1 ability which is pretty funny (or Brooding Saurian)

The Brooding Saurian idea is super funny actually because the Monkey Paw can search for itself also and it's not even legendary
    I could imagine some Nicfit variant where you thoughtseize/hymn your opp to make sure they have no removal for your 4/4 and then chain off a bunch of these

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Stoneforge has a new friend?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Stoneforge decks generally aren't in the market for Temur Battle Rage I don't think
    It's a super weird design because it wants 1 Big Creature for the trample/doublestrike but also wants you to go wide for the cost reduction

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Lol so if you go off that turn it's just Grim Tutor and you can even split the cost over multiple turns? And if you have key etc then you can easily do it twice? Donate it to the opp then chain of vapor it back to your hand or whatever

Definitely going to see play somewhere

Edit: you can search for animatou with it and then blink it with the -1 ability which is pretty funny (or Brooding Saurian)
    Tutor for Karn, the play it and Null Rod it with Karn's ability. There are plently of ways this could be abused.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post

Stoneforge has a new friend?
    The double red is really terrible if SFM doesn't survive.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    It's like they "forgot" again how to make good cards. But chances are that they probably just fired a good chunk of the playtest team after getting back on track. Wouldn't be surprised if sales are garbage because the power level is too low, but we'll see.

Once Upon A Time is great, though, especially as its design clashes heavily with Xerox decks and provide consistency to non-Xerox decks.
    Good post. I really like the idea of green decks getting a bump; most are in the market for creatures and lands. Turbo Depths seems to gain a little from this card, it's a 'free' early cantrip that doesn't suck ass in the mid-late game. It even gets around Chalice@1. I can see playing this before even making any land drops to plan the game better right from the start. I'm willing to bet any deck that could play both a cantrip and a Thoughtseize turn 1 without any card disadvantage would love to do just that. It also somewhat offsets a 1-land hand, but that could lead to bad mulligan decisions.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

May 2015
    PDX

WotC is really going all out trying to help people realize Blade is no longer playable. Kcomm into Plague Engi into PW killer, and even a [why isn‘t this a sorcery] cantrip that digs 5 towards the Questing Beast (or Engi) or the Wasteland for the Karakas.

There‘s a lot wrong with that cantrip, and the only positive thing it‘s doing is eating a Chancellor trigger. The whole dig for Macabre would be cool....but it doesn‘t solve the issue with B/R leading on discard your Surgical with Chancellor backup.

Much more intelligent design would have been “if you have not cast a spell this game, no effect controlled by an opponent can make you discard a not-Once Upon a Time card.“ Then the whole 1G look at top 5 for land or dude.

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    I wonder if this will be a cycle of cards...
    doubtful. Unless you can name a different opening line for a fairy tail?

Oh yeah it's also another 0 mana spell for the green phoenix decks (with land grant) to up the consistency of Ritual/Buried on turn 1,and if you use that jund build from reddit it digs through your deck for young pyro and reveler. I like it

May 2015
    PDX

Call me Ishmael....

(Almost a fairy tale)

Mar 2007

Is Embercleave supposed to be the Excalibur expy?

Hamburglar Hlelpler
    Aug 2005
    Nebraska

"It was a dark and stormy night."

Purple as 6th color confirmed
    Quote Originally Posted by Dissection View Post
    Creature type - 'Fuck you mooooooom'
    Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    EDIT: Tsumi, you are silly.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    See: Soraya the Falconer for a prime example of this. As printed, gives Falcons (and only Falcons) +1/+1 and can give them banding. Is it better or worse for Magic to have that narrow of a creature type, versus "Bird?" If they are all "Birds", it makes it easier to support the tribe/build on the tribe in future sets.
    In this case we already have stuff like Swarmyard that really ought to work with mice, and stuff stuff like Pack Rat where it maybe shouldn't.

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

Because having Naga and Snake be different types for no good reason wasn't enough, now we have Mouse to conflict with Rat.
    Don't know about anyone else, but adding unnecessarily specific creature types that only end up conflicting with already existing ones is a practice that seriously bothers me.
    Errataed to Rodent!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Peasants are the kind of bloat we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Blood View Post
    Errataed to Rodent!
    At first this might sound like a solution, but then you learn that 40% of all mammal species are rodents and realize why this would be a problem

Peasants are the kind of bloat we need.
    Yes actually. I have no trouble with Peasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post
    At first this might sound like a solution, but then you learn that 40% of all mammal species are rodents and realize why this would be a problem
    Would any of those rodents be of unusual sizes?

May 2015
    PDX

So I think it's time for a rule's update, there is no way Questing Beast should be able to bypass Riptide Biologist. This is a massive flavor fail.

If you get this guy's power above 2 for the block, he should not take the damage.

Mar 2007

Giant Killer might be alright as a tutor target for Recruiter or Ranger-Captain of Eos. I like it.

Thread Information