Thread: When to concede against Bomberman on MTGO

When to concede against Bomberman on MTGO

I wanna do the smart thing for me, and the nice thing for my opponent, but I don't really know how the deck works. As soon as they're looping and you don't have a response that turn, do you concede so they don't have to click a million times? Or might they not have the kill, so you have to make them do it?

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Re: When to concede against Bomberman on MTGO

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    I wanna do the smart thing for me, and the nice thing for my opponent, but I don't really know how the deck works. As soon as they're looping and you don't have a response that turn, do you concede so they don't have to click a million times? Or might they not have the kill, so you have to make them do it?
    If they're looping Lion's Eye Diamond with Auriok Salvagers, then they have no hand, so you should have perfect information, right? In the kill you're describing, the deck generates an arbitrarily large amount of mana and then dumps that into a lethal-sized Walking Ballista. If the Ballista isn't already in the graveyard, then the Bomberman player will be making all that mana, then returning a Bauble, recasting it, sacrificing it, etc., and then drawing most of their deck on the next upkeep, meaning you'll get one more turn.

I don't play MTGO, but this is a question with several different right answers. You can take the strict stance that they need to go through all the motions to win. There's nothing wrong with this, and maybe you'll even win a game or two through a misclick. Your opponent may or may not be irritated, but they chose to play a combo deck that requires a bunch of clicks to execute, so that's not your problem. You can also take the looser stance of conceding to a loop if you see the kill being properly executed in Game 2 or Game 3, assuming you saw it in Game 1.

Some dipshit of a Moderator.
    Mar 2013
    A Tabernacle in some random Valley.

Once they have a loop I ask for them to show the kill. e.g. Cast Ballista for 2 when you have demonstrated a loop.

I have also had someone who showed me a loop, told me the kill and then I explained my response. I wasn't dead but it was not a comp game, so I just conceded and moved on with my life. Playing out that game for the next 20 minutes was not worth what it would cost us in time. So sometimes the time to quit is just when it's easier to move on.
    It is better to ask and look stupid then keep your mouth shut and remain so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spam View Post
    Do not make fun of lands masters, they've spent many years mastering the punishing fire technique in the secret loam monastery. Do not mistake them with the miracles masters, eternal rivals, they won't like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    I hope your afterlife is filled with eternal torment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Fuck. Which one of my quotes do I drop for this?
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthVicious View Post
    Something about how fun it is pulling the wings off flies and microwaving the neighbors cat?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Yeah I'd say the time saved by scooping when they have shown you they have the combo and you have no responses is worth it. You gain nothing outside of the 1% chance they'll fuck up. Just get on with your life and go play another match and get more practice in
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Never surrender! Just go get a snack or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

You gain nothing by your opponent accidentally misclicking. In real life you would've just died. Not only is it wasting yours and your opponents time, you're actively doing worse for your own testing and improving as a player
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Thanks for the responses.

That's simple enough. If they're looping and Ballista is in the graveyard--or battlefield obviously--I'll concede. If they're looping and I see no Ballista and only Baubles, make them go through it all because I get another turn.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

I once had an opponent message me that they were upset that I'd made them go through the entire combo. Actually, I just really had to take a shit. I recommend taking that combo time and doing something useful with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Thread Information