Thread: Van Dyke Brown

bruizar

Van Dyke Brown

The favorite colour of Bob Ross, Van Dyke Brown is a staple paint supply made out of red and green pigments. Sleeve this up, and experience the Joy of Painting.

Van Dyke Brown

Maindeck:
    2x Faithless Looting
    3x Goblin Engineer
    4x Painter’s Servant
    3x Grindstone
    4x Karn, the Great Creator
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Veil of Summer
    3x Punishing Fire
    4x Wrenn and Six
    4x Mox Diamond
    1x Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4x Wasteland
    2x Ancient Tomb
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    4x Taiga
    3x Stomping Ground
    4x Wooded Foothills
    2x Forest
    2x Great Furnace

Sideboard:
    2x Ancient Grudge
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Giant Solifuge
    1x Magmatic Sinkhole
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Liquimetal Coating
    1x Mycosynth Lattice
    3x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Zuran Orb
    1x Grindstone
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Ensnaring Bridge

For the sake of the discussion, here is a semi-comprehensive list of sideboard options and card choices:

Code:
    Utility Creatures

Goblin Welder
    Efficient way to get unresolved combo pieces back in play, and gives you something to do on turn 1 if you don't hit a Mox Diamond.

Goblin Engineer
    Stoneforge Welder, tutors either part of the combo and gets it into play, but it is slower and makes you more vulnerable to Surgical Extraction.

Orcish Lumberjack
    Functions as a LED that only requires you to ditch 1 land instead of your entire hand. Works great in conjunction with Wren & Six

Control

Red Elemental Blast
    Number 5-8.

Sylvan Library
    Card quality and card advantage to help you draw into Veil of Summer, Blasts, removal and your combo.

Beaters

Giant Solifuge:
    Useful against Planeswalkers. Limited use as a hard control counter due to flash creatures/snapcaster.

Hexdrinker
    Another beater that can quickly become invincible.

Tireless Tracker
    Beatstick that draws vs control.

Sunder Shaman
    A beatstick that can repeatedly get rid of Counterbalance and which cannot die in combat against Miracles because he is stronger than any other creature miracles runs. A very fat Trygon Predator. Weak to Jace/Teferi bounce.

Prevention

Ensnaring Bridge
    Sideboard 2 so you can get access with Goblin Engineer and Karn.

Spellskite
    Pull this in with Karn to protect your combo. Use Mox Diamond to tap for blue, so you don't have to pay life.

Zuran Orb
    You could use this with Karn against Burn. Wrenn & Six can get the land back, and you can dodge a gigantic Price of Progress with it. If your opponent uses his burn on Wrenn & Six or Painter's Servant that's good too.

Graveyard Hate

Tormod's Crypt
    You want to be able to drop a Karn and crypt immediately, so your hate needs to come down early. Can be recycled with Goblin repeatedly (Weld out Great Furnace, return Furnace with Wrenn & Six).

Grafdigger's Cage
    Can be Engineered and Karn'd. Stops Bridge from Below, Green Sun's Zenith and Reanimate.

Surgical Extraction
    This card is insane with Wrenn & Six's ultimate, you will be able to extract all their win conditions / their entire deck very quickly.

Leyline of the Void
    At least 3 must be played. Only way to play these is with double Mox Diamond.

Artifact Hate

Ancient Grudge
    Best artifact removal of the format

Fiery Confluence
    Artifact removal that doubles as a sweeper sometimes. The reach isn't too useful though.

Force of Vigor
    Also hits enchantments, which is great.

Cindervines
    Storm + Artifact + Enchantment hate in one card.

Shenanigans
    Repeatable artifact removal.

Krosan Grip
    Uncounterable artifact & enchantment removal. The original answer against Counterbalance.

Removal

Magmatic Sinkhole
    Planeswalker removal and Gurmag Angler removal

Abrade / Reckless Air Strike
    Versatile artifact removal that doubles as creature removal. Reckless Air Strike only if meta is delver invested.

Lock Pieces

Liquimetal Coating / Mycosynth Lattice
    Karn combo cards

Choke
    Useful against control, can act as redundant land hate card in conjunction with Wrenn & Six Wasteland lock and Karn & Liquimetal Coating lock. It's not as good as Blood Moon usually.

Blood Moon
    Premier sideboard hate. We have fetchlands for basic forests and Mox Diamonds to make sure we can produce :G:.

Chalice of the Void
    Your deck can still operate under a chalice for 1 with Goblin Engineer.

Trinisphere
    Storm hate, hurts you too, but shuts down your opponent harder

Damping Sphere
    Something against Eldrazi and Storm

Ayula's Influence / Seismic Assault
    Great with Life from the Loam if you wish to play that, but also provides more controlling functionality to Wrenn & Six.

Life from the Loam
    A back up that's a little bit more explosive than Wrenn & Six's +1. Good to fuel the emblem.

Green Painter cards

Natural Order
    You could Natural Order your painter's servant if you are running into Null Rod's, Pithing Needle, Collector Ouphe or Karn, or to just have an alternative win condition with a Progenitus

Reap
    I would only sideboard this against a meta where this is good without Painter's Servant 

Lifeforce
    Interesting sideboard option against Vampire Hexmage and discard spells.

Seedtime
    I believe there is already enough hate against blue with Blasts, plus this deck cannot not take advantage of the turns as much as decks with an aggro plan.

Compost
    Probably better than Reap but too reliant on Painter's Servant.

Match ups:
    U/W Miracle Control Todo
    Death & Taxes Todo
    UWx Stoneblade Todo
    Grixis Stoneblade Todo
    U/R Delver Todo

Happy Painting
    Last edited by bruizar; 08-04-2019 at 11:41 AM.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Van Dyke Brown

Firstly: that deck name is 'outta sight' good. Secondly: any consideration on the new Goblin Engineer? Obviously Welder is more efficient, however Engineer has a built in Entomb.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Firstly: that deck name is 'outta sight' good. Secondly: any consideration on the new Goblin Engineer? Obviously Welder is more efficient, however Engineer has a built in Entomb.
    I'm on board the Goblin Engineer plan. Also to have even better access to artifact based sideboard hate cards, like Ensnaring Bridge. It's also a natural foil to Chalice for 1, so I really like it. I will have to test it (don't have them yet) but it looks very promising.

bruizar

Still didn’t get around to testing Engineer but I’m loving the deck. W6, pufi, veil and blast make for such a nice shell.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

As a Painter player, this is FANTASTIC in concept but unfortunate in reality.

Van Dyke has no way to race, few ways to disrupt combo, and no ways to beat other flavors of unfair decks.

Regarding racing: Different Painter shells handle this in different ways. None of these are available to Van Dyke. The only things available to abuse are mana sources and Karn. -1 MD Painter's Servant, +1 SB Painter's Servant allows Karn to tutor for both halves of the combo. On paper, you're playing 7 Painters and 7 Grindstones. Now we need Karn online fast. Mox Diamond is an advantage that other Painter shells lack. But playing few Sol lands in a Karn deck is a crime that even gaining access to Wasteland recursion cannot erase. From the list in the opening post, I'd cut 3x Stomping Ground and 1x Wasteland for 1x Ancient Tomb and 3x City of Traitors.

Disrupting many-spells combo: Trimming Blasts is unfortunate (though in my opinion justified, which I'll get to later) as those help in this arena. Other than that, you're stuck racing to Karn, hoping to shut of Petals and LEDs. Again, Mox Diamond should help.

Beating few-spells combo aka unfair decks: Fitting Ensnaring Bridge in the MD and in the SB is the first step. Next step is fitting Blood Moon into the SB and maybe into the MD. You'll have to make your own choices on how to do that.

Other considerations:
    • Veil of Summer is genius, as the Blasts often get relegated to defeating counterspells or removal, only for more countermagic or removal to be cast later. Also, replacing itself is important.
    • Faithless Looting is a good call. Filtering and selection is important in all Legacy decks and W6 doesn't magically do that on his own.
    • Faithless Looting is not enough selection. Without volume of cantrips nor any tutors, other selection is needed. I recommend 2 more Faithless Looting and some number of Canopy lands or Cycling lands.
    • PunFire package is pretty slow. With no combo pressure and no prison elements, I highly doubt Van Dyke can afford to play something that slow.

Hope that helps!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

Just spitting out idea's but as Mirri's Legend stated, Looting alone is not enough as card selection. What about Ancient Stirrings? It let's you dig for Karn or another piece of the combo. Could be nice to include.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Darklingske View Post
    Just spitting out idea's but as Mirri's Legend stated, Looting alone is not enough as card selection. What about Ancient Stirrings? It let's you dig for Karn or another piece of the combo. Could be nice to include.
    The only problem being that once Painter is out, Stirrings doesn't do anything.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirrislegend View Post
    As a Painter player, this is FANTASTIC in concept but unfortunate in reality.

Van Dyke has no way to race, few ways to disrupt combo, and no ways to beat other flavors of unfair decks.

Regarding racing: Different Painter shells handle this in different ways. None of these are available to Van Dyke. The only things available to abuse are mana sources and Karn. -1 MD Painter's Servant, +1 SB Painter's Servant allows Karn to tutor for both halves of the combo. On paper, you're playing 7 Painters and 7 Grindstones. Now we need Karn online fast. Mox Diamond is an advantage that other Painter shells lack. But playing few Sol lands in a Karn deck is a crime that even gaining access to Wasteland recursion cannot erase. From the list in the opening post, I'd cut 3x Stomping Ground and 1x Wasteland for 1x Ancient Tomb and 3x City of Traitors.

Disrupting many-spells combo: Trimming Blasts is unfortunate (though in my opinion justified, which I'll get to later) as those help in this arena. Other than that, you're stuck racing to Karn, hoping to shut of Petals and LEDs. Again, Mox Diamond should help.

Beating few-spells combo aka unfair decks: Fitting Ensnaring Bridge in the MD and in the SB is the first step. Next step is fitting Blood Moon into the SB and maybe into the MD. You'll have to make your own choices on how to do that.

Other considerations:
    • Veil of Summer is genius, as the Blasts often get relegated to defeating counterspells or removal, only for more countermagic or removal to be cast later. Also, replacing itself is important.
    • Faithless Looting is a good call. Filtering and selection is important in all Legacy decks and W6 doesn't magically do that on his own.
    • Faithless Looting is not enough selection. Without volume of cantrips nor any tutors, other selection is needed. I recommend 2 more Faithless Looting and some number of Canopy lands or Cycling lands.
    • PunFire package is pretty slow. With no combo pressure and no prison elements, I highly doubt Van Dyke can afford to play something that slow.

Hope that helps!
    Thanks for the great pointers. It will take some time for me to integrate those insights into the list. The Stomping Grounds in particular are an interesting remark as they were originally intended actually for running Orcish Lumberjack as a way to emulate playing with 5x lotus (and getting the land back with wren and six). Unfortunately i ran out of space in the deck so i had to cut them.

If I were absolutely forced to cut cards I would consider:
    1 land (not counting replacing lands for other lands)
    3 goblins
    1 punishing fire (to sideboard)

I believe running 4 painters is optimal. I thought long and hard about putting one in the side. You dont want to spend 6 mana and resolve two spells before your veil of summer and pyroblasts are live. Karn is actually not that great of a card, it’s more the inevitability, threat diversification and utility. Drawing 2 painters is better than drawing 2 grindstones. And i find myself grabbing liquimetal coating or spellskite most of the times. Lattice is too expensive and grindstone is only relevant with painter out. Liquimetal coating and karn plus wasteland and wren give a lot of ways to grind out manabases.

As for lands, I would probably opt for a cycling land over a horizon land because the RG horizon land isnt printed yet and cycling land plays a little nicer with wren and six. Sheltered Thicket is kind of interesting since it can be cut with an orc while also providing both colors and cycling, but I think the 1cc mono color cyclers are superior if there are no orcs.

I think the list also needs:
    -1 punishing fires
    +1 faithless looting
    It is better to dig for a pufi then to draw one, as you can recur it anyways and multiples are less good. Faithless looting also digs into the combo and sets up welder and wrenand six so this deck can really take advantage of turning the discard into a positive. Not sure which other card to cut for the fourth looting though. If i really see no other way then MAYBE push a painter to the side, but not because i think that is better but because there is little else to cut :-)
    Last edited by bruizar; 08-02-2019 at 04:53 PM.

bruizar

I've made a few changes to my tentative list. I threw out Karn because he is just too slow and unfocused. My creature roster is now: 2x Goblin Engineer 3x Orcish Lumberjack. Karn still makes the deck prone to artifact hate, whether you hate out Liquimetal/Lattice or Painter/Grindstone and it took op a third of my sideboard.

Goblin Engineer replaces the function of Karn. He comes down as quick as turn 1, and also grabs me part of the combo without diluting my sideboard and in addition it provides me the resilience against discard, counters and artifact hate that Goblin Welder does.

Orcish Lumberjack gives me new ways to combo out on the second turn
    T1: Taiga, Orc
    T2: Ancient Tomb, Grindstone+Painter+Activation.

It's as if I play with 4 Lion's Eye Diamonds without the downside of discarding my hand, and Wrenn & Six gives me the land back anyway.

-4 Karn (0)
    -1 Punishing Fire (2)
    -3 Goblin Welder (0)
    +1 Faithless Looting (3)
    +3 Orcish Lumberjack (3)
    +2 Goblin Engineer (2)
    +1 Grindstone (4)
    +1 Flexslots
    [Currently Ensnaring Bridge and Faithless Looting]

I'm still testing the 4th Faithless Looting for the flex slot. With Goblin Engineer, a maindeck Ensnaring Bridge may well be correct.

There are 2 creatures I am considering either maindeck or sideboard against artifact hate. Titania, Protector of Argoth and Hexdrinker. Hexdrinker and Orcish Lumberjack level up really fast, and once you hit the protection from instants it's easy to win with it. The problem is sorcery speed leveling up. Titania is only good if you hit 5 mana, so you really need Orcish Lumberjack to accelerate meaningfully.

Sideboard:
    -1x Liquimetal Coating
    -1x Mycosynth Lattice
    -1x Zuran Orb
    -1x Grindstone
    -3x Tormod's Crypt
    +1 Grafdigger's Cage
    +1 Nihil Spellbomb
    +5 Flex sideboard slots.

I'm now on this:

Van Dyke Brown

Maindeck:
    4x Faithless Looting
    2x Goblin Engineer
    3x Orcish Lumberjack
    4x Painter’s Servant
    4x Grindstone
    4x Pyroblast
    4x Veil of Summer
    2x Punishing Fire
    4x Wrenn and Six
    4x Mox Diamond
    1x Lion’s Eye Diamond
    4x Wasteland
    3x Ancient Tomb
    4x Grove of the Burnwillows
    4x Taiga
    1x Stomping Ground
    4x Wooded Foothills
    1x Verdant Catacombs
    2x Forest
    2x Great Furnace

Sideboard:
    2x Ancient Grudge
    1x Tireless Tracker
    1x Giant Solifuge
    1x Magmatic Sinkhole
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Grafdigger's Cage
    1x Nihil Spellbomb
    1x Surgical Extraction
    1x Ensnaring Bridge
    2x Blood Moon
    1x Sulfur Elemental
    1x Trinisphere / Thorn of Amethyst / Sphere of Resistance
    1x Flex

I'm also considering 2x Abrupt Decay 1x Kolaghan's Command and replacing the Sulfur Elemental for a Plague Engineer in the sideboard by splashing a Bayou or Badlands and cutting the stomping ground.
    Last edited by bruizar; 08-09-2019 at 07:16 AM.

bruizar

This was my final list which I wanted to bring to Eternal Weekend, but, Wrenn & Six got banned, so the deck is now dead. The list was tested intensively. Gilded Goose replaced Lumberjack because you need to have enough artifacts in play to weld out with Engineer, and it gives you a lot of game against Burn decks. Living Plane was devastating with Wrenn & Six -1 for shooting down basics and with Punishing Fire. The Angrath's Rampage was to get rid of opposing Wrenn & Six, Oko, Thief of Crowns, Karn the Great Creator, as well as doubling as an answer against True Name Nemesis. I had an extra Angrath's Rampage in the sideboard and an Oko, Thief of Crowns of my self as well. The sideboard Ensnaring Bridge and Grafdigger's Cage were utility slots with 4 Goblin Engineer to look for them and weld them into play. The maindeck Sorcerous Spyglass was primarily to get rid of Planeswalkers and Thespian Stage while being a catch all that can randomly help in the mana denial plan by locking out a heavy Fetchland opener. The Mana Denial plan and REBs bought enough time to assemble the combo, while the opponent was busy trying to get rid other things. I was very satisfied with how the deck turned out.

Van Dyke Brown

Maindeck: (60)
    3x Faithless Looting
    4x Goblin Engineer
    3x Gilded Goose
    4x Painter’s Servant
    4x Grindstone
    4x Pyroblast
    1x Red Elemental Blast
    1x Angrath's Rampage
    1x Living Plane
    2x Punishing Fire