Thread: Jeskai Stoneblade

Threaded View

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Jeskai Stoneblade

Stoneblade variants are popping up everywhere with the B&R announcement that occurred on 8/26/19. It seems like an early front-runner is strict UW, but plenty of Jeskai lists have popped up as well. This thread is to discuss Jeskai in particular until a clear best version is established.

For how I like to play magic, I want to maximize the powerful synergy of SFM into inevitability. I think the 2 equipments that will be auto-include are Batterskull and Sword of Fire and Ice. Sword of Feast and Famine is likely the next best sword, especially considering the recent uptick in Jund. The 3rd equipment I think will be very good is Basilisk Collar. It gives a mid-range deck an efficient way to grind out games and make combat miserable. Grim Lavamancer is a pretty cool combo with Collar, and I think some number of sideboarded Izzet Staticaster would be ok.

Using legacy Stoneblade as a template is a good start, but not strictly transferrable. We don't have Force of Will or Brainstorm so we will have to make do with other options. Serum Visions and Opt are the best cantrips, but I'm not sure which one to favor. I think at least 6 is warrented. I'm starting with a 4/2 split of Opt/Visions, just so I can keep up Bolt/Spell Snare/Opt in the early turns because t1 threats aren't a focus. Countermagic will likely be a mix of Spell Snare, Mana Leak, Spell Pierce, Remand, Logic Knot, and Cryptic Command. Cryptic on the upper end will be a little hard to support given the nature of wanting more gas instead of too much at the top end. I am thinking 20-22 lands, not the 24+ usually needed to support a full set of Cryptics.

Creatures are pretty easy to narrow down: Batterskull and Snapcaster Mage are auto include. From there I want a couple Grim Lavamancers and at least 1 Vendilion Clique. The closest True Name Nemesis variant I can think of is Geist of Saint Traft, which I think could be very good given the amount of cheap removal the deck can play. Restoration Angel could make it's way into the deck, but I'm not sure just yet.

Other cardsto consider: Lightning Helix, Electrolyze, Blessed Alliance, Fact or Fiction, Field of Ruin, Narset, Parter of Veils, Supreme Verdict, Anger of the Gods, Sunbaked Canyon. I will add to the list as other suggestions get mentioned.

To summarize: why play Jeskai Stoneblade? Stoneforge Mystic is a powerful threat with inherent card advantage, something that gives inevitability to a UWx mid-range strategy. It has the best unconditional one mana removal (Path to Exile), lets you play Lightning Bolt for reach, and lets you play Jace, the Mind Sculptor and Teferi, Time Raveler. If SFM is unbanned it will bring back Jeskai Mid-Range in a big way, and in my opinion it will supplant some amount of UW Control as a different option for playing 'good stuff' blue strategies in Modern.

Updated list 11/7

4x Stoneforge Mystic
    3x Snapcaster Mage
    3x Geist of Saint Traft
    2x Brazen Borrower
    1x Vendilion Clique

4x Lightning Bolt
    4x Path to Exile
    4x Lightning Helix
    4x Serum Visions
    4x Remand
    2x Spell Snare
    1x Force of Negation
    1x Teferi, Time Raveler
    1x Batterskull
    1x Sword of Fire and Ice

4x Flooded Strand
    3x Scalding Tarn
    1x Arid Mesa
    2x Hallowed Fountain
    2x Steam Vents
    1x Sacred Foundry
    2x Spirebluff Canal
    1x Seachrome Coast
    2x Island
    1x Mountain
    1x Plains
    1x Ghost Quarter

Sideboard
    2x Alpine Moon
    1x Celestial Purge
    2x Search for Azcanta
    2x Relic of Progenitus
    2x Wear/Tear
    1x Detention Sphere
    1x Engineered Explosives
    2x Stony Silence
    1x jace the mind sculptor
    1x Dispel

Update 9/20: This is a great list posted by 'xkeeperx ' that displays the Spell Queller/Teferi synergy. It's actually more prevalent than my 'niche' list above, so it's here for reference.

1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Feast and Famine
    4 Snapcaster Mage
    4 Spell Queller
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    2 Vendilion Clique
    1 Abrade
    4 Lightning Bolt
    3 Lightning Helix
    2 Mana Leak
    3 Opt
    3 Path to Exile
    1 Spell Snare
    2 Spell Pierce
    2 Celestial Colonnade
    4 Flooded Strand
    2 Hallowed Fountain
    2 Island
    1 Mountain
    1 Plains
    1 Sacred Foundry
    4 Scalding Tarn
    2 Spirebluff Canal
    2 Steam Vents
    1 Seachrome Coast
    3 Teferi, Time Raveler

1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Relic of Progenitus
    2 Geist of Saint Traft
    2 Alpine Moon
    1 Abrade
    1 Ceremonious Rejection
    3 Force of Negation
    1 Hurkyl's Recall
    1 Celestial Purge
    1 Cryptic Command
    1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 11-07-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information