Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Modern Post-Hogaak

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Modern Post-Hogaak

Haven't followed the format much since Pioneer started, but turned on the modern teams stream to see what's going on.

Is it as bad right now as this makes it look? Oko ban incoming? Urza ban incoming? Is this just a fluke?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Haven't followed the format much since Pioneer started, but turned on the modern teams stream to see what's going on.

Is it as bad right now as this makes it look? Oko ban incoming? Urza ban incoming? Is this just a fluke?
    The ban will probably come someday. It's overpowered and over-represented.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

SCG Open in Knoxville had 4 Urza Oko decks in t8. I'm pretty sure this will continue until some action is taken. Whether the format can adapt is open for debate. More importantly, is there enough of a player base that still cares about Modern to work on adapting?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=24280&d=369474
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010

So, I guess I'm right on time, lol.

Oko, Opal, and Mycosynth Lattice banned in Modern today.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Oko and Opal make sense. Lattice just seems so weird to me. Yeah "it isn't fun to be locked out of the game" but it's a 2 card, 10 mana combo (4 and 6, so not even spread out terribly much, or at least still significant investments) where it's susceptible to both artifact and walker hate. If decks getting it too fast is a problem, ban one of the Tron lands, they're they engine to abuse the payoff.

If you want to talk about not having fun playing Modern, why don't we ban Nexus of Fate or one of the pieces of Cryptic Command plus Mystic Sanctuary. Both of those lock you out of the game but in a much more miserable "guess I'll see if they can actually kill me but still not get to play for 15 turns." Like if someone gets Karn + lattice down, it's an insta kill if you don't have a response. You don't have to sit miserably for 20 turns watching someone play with themselves, you can just scoop. Unfun being a banning point is way too subjective. Not a fan of how they're doing things at WotC in regards to Modern.
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 01-13-2020 at 11:26 PM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Oko and Opal make sense. Lattice just seems so weird to me. Yeah "it isn't fun to be locked out of the game" but it's a 2 card, 10 mana combo (4 and 6, so not even spread out terribly much, or at least still significant investments) where it's susceptible to both artifact and walker hate. If decks getting it too fast is a problem, ban one of the Tron lands, they're they engine to abuse the payoff.

If you want to talk about not having fun playing Modern, why don't we ban Nexus of Fate or one of the pieces of Cryptic Command plus Mystic Sanctuary. Both of those lock you out of the game but in a much more miserable "guess I'll see if they can actually kill me but still not get to play for 15 turns." Like if someone gets Karn + lattice down, it's an insta kill if you don't have a response. You don't have to sit miserably for 20 turns watching someone play with themselves, you can just scoop. Unfun being a banning point is way too subjective. Not a fan of how they're doing things at WotC in regards to Modern.
    I suppose Karn + lattice was putting up more results than Cryptic + nexus + mystic sanctuary! :)

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I suppose Karn + lattice was putting up more results than Cryptic + nexus + mystic sanctuary! :)
    That's generous to assume, but not at all stated. Whereas they specifically talk about win rates for other cards.

Nov 2010

I have seriously lost almost all interest in Modern as a format, honestly. RL cards are dropping in price over the past few months so it's getting even easier to commit resources to Legacy and play what I want. It's only a matter of time until some other card rears it's ugly head and gets banned. The root problem of Modern doesn't seem to ever go away.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 03-03-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010

DTB - January 2020

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24420&f=MO

Looks like without Oko/Opal that Mono-Red Prowess is legitimately the best deck. The GWx "Company" deck is making a resurgence, with the help of Once Upon a Time and some amount of SFM/equips. Humans are making a decent comeback, drifting back into tier 2 alongside stalwart Tron decks. Noticably absent from the list is Grixis Death's Shadow, which seems to be in a slump.

Format still looks boring to me, but we'll see how it shakes out over the next couple months. I at least enjoy looking at the mtgtop8 data, and sharing it with anyone at TheSource that still follows modern.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010

DTB - February 2020

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24772&f=MO

Urza
    Amulet Titan
    Mono-Red Prowess
    Shadow
    Jund
    Bant Control
    Heliod (GW combo creatures)
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information