Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Post-MH2

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Modern Post-Hogaak

I want to agree, but faeries has been on life support ever since Wrenn & Six got printed. It doesn't help that Bitterblossom is your own death sentence in this format with T3feri stalling, Plague Engineer maindeck, and Stoneforge being without a doubt the best 2 costing creature a fair deck can play. "Hello, black chump blockers, have you met my friend, Sword of Feast and Famine?"

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I meant mono-blue tribal faeries, not traditional UB faeries. Something with Scion of Oona and a strong tempo plan.

Rough idea:

4x Faerie Seer
    4x Faerie Miscreant
    4x Ninja of the Deep Hours
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    4x Hypnotic Sprite
    4x Faerie Vandal
    4x Scion of Oona
    2x Mistbind Clique
    3x Mana Leak
    2x Vapor Snag
    3x Dismember
    2x Spell Snare
    18x Island
    4x Mutavault

Faerie Vandal plays really well with turbo-Xerox in legacy, but is likely underpowered.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Even so, Wrenn and Plague Engineer make me think the deck just isn't what you want to be doing right now. With Whirza on the uptick, Plague Engineer is going to be seeing a ton of play, and pretty much every midrange deck is running Wrenn right now. Other tribal decks have better base toughness and a better selection of lords.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

That's fair. I think there could be a work-around by finding the right windows to counter them, but discard into Engineer/W6 is still pretty strong.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Here is the dtb section on mtgtop8 for September:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23216&f=MO

Burn and Tron doing well as most predicted, and Whirza is picking up a ton of momentum.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

For all the banning (or lack thereof) complaints for the latest B&R, the format looks relatively healthy. I've enjoyed the games I've played and felt like there are sufficient answers to the top decks lately. I haven't played much against the Paradoxical Outcome version of Urza, but it would be way too early to ban something out of it yet.

I wonder if irreparable damage has been done to the format through the past bannings every time a deck appears to be good, making a large subset of the current playerbase expect the next top deck to constantly get banned. It's the internet so people will always complain about anything, but the most recent reddit threads and the like have all sounded so strangely justified in their expectation of Mox Opal/Urza getting banned, despite it not being the top contender.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I agree, the mishandling of the format has really given it 'baggage'. I also agree that modern is in a great spot; I'm playing Stoneblade and it's powerful but not oppressive. Hell, it isn't even really making much of a wave. The top decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Jund.

Emry seems to be a ticking time bomb, in my opinion. Its got the hallmarks of an overpowered card: cost reduction and abilities that can enable broken interactions.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Here is the DTB section for October:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23489&f=MO

Burn is king ATM alongside the Urza-Oko abomination. Tron, Jund, and Shadow make up a grindy tier 2 while blue control decks are keeping Amulet Titan company in the tier 2.5-3 range. It's really cool to see mid-range strategies come back to the format with Jund and UWx Stoneblade.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Yeah I kind of stopped playing Modern because I like Pioneer better. I might join again if/when Oko is banned, despite playing exclusively Oko decks recently. He's just dumb.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Yeah I kind of stopped playing Modern because I like Pioneer better. I might join again if/when Oko is banned, despite playing exclusively Oko decks recently. He's just dumb.
    Uggh, Pioneer doesn't appeal to me, whatsoever, at all. Oko is causing problems in multiple formats, I'll see if it's too much to handle with Jeskai Stoneblade tomorrow at the 1K.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Uggh, Pioneer doesn't appeal to me, whatsoever, at all. Oko is causing problems in multiple formats, I'll see if it's too much to handle with Jeskai Stoneblade tomorrow at the 1K.
    That's too bad, I'm really enjoying my mono colored decks (viable for the first time ever) alongside 5c Niv Mizzet control. I turned on Modern SCG a couple times this weekend and it looks like 80% Oko Urza. Oh well, Modern had a good run but the power creep recently has kinda ruined it for me.

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

That's too bad, I'm really enjoying my mono colored decks (viable for the first time ever) alongside 5c Niv Mizzet control. I turned on Modern SCG a couple times this weekend and it looks like 80% Oko Urza. Oh well, Modern had a good run but the power creep recently has kinda ruined it for me.
    Modern horizons unfortunately seems to have killed the format ironically. Too much power creep all at once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Yeah, i bombed at the 1k, lost to oko twice and jund twice. It was five rounds, i dropped after r4.

Pioneer is gathering steam at the lgs, so i might just sell out of modern and dedicate those resources to legacy and maybe a pioneer deck. I can easily say that oko is by far the most annoying card to play against, if not necessarily the most powerful.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Modern horizons unfortunately seems to have killed the format ironically. Too much power creep all at once.
    I'm not burning all my bridges yet. I think it's pretty obvious Oko is a problem, maybe even Urza. How they handle it is going to be interesting, and I think we'll see something banned on Monday. If not though I'll probably sell my Urza deck + Opals because it just isn't as fun as I thought it'd be. Oko is fine in Pioneer so far, so he might still live on in other formats.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

With W6 being banned in Legacy, does anyone feel it will be looked at for Modern as well? I think it's less miserable than Oko to play against, but it's a powerhouse for sure. It's actually more 'fair' in Modern but I don't see W6 lasting forever. It's too close to Deathrite Shaman in power level.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

I like W6 in Modern because it brought back Jund and other midrange strats that don't have to rely on blue splashes. I also didn't think that it was miserable to play against, which is really the main consideration I make when choosing formats to play. It warped the format away from 1 toughness creatures but I think it did a lot to stabilize the format in terms of archetype balance. Humans is good but W6 brought it down from being oppressive. Mainly I think Wasteland is 100% the reason it broke Legacy and that without it the card is just fine as is.

Oko on the other hand is miserable. So is Paradoxical/Emry. So is Taking Turns or even Cryptic Command with Mystic Sanctuary; what an abomination of a card. I think a lot of Eldraine cards are amazingly designed, Adventure cards are a really cool design space, but at this point Modern would need like 10 bans to bring it back to a format where I enjoyed playing with/against decks.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I like W6 in Modern because it brought back Jund and other midrange strats that don't have to rely on blue splashes. I also didn't think that it was miserable to play against, which is really the main consideration I make when choosing formats to play. It warped the format away from 1 toughness creatures but I think it did a lot to stabilize the format in terms of archetype balance. Humans is good but W6 brought it down from being oppressive. Mainly I think Wasteland is 100% the reason it broke Legacy and that without it the card is just fine as is.

Oko on the other hand is miserable. So is Paradoxical/Emry. So is Taking Turns or even Cryptic Command with Mystic Sanctuary; what an abomination of a card. I think a lot of Eldraine cards are amazingly designed, Adventure cards are a really cool design space, but at this point Modern would need like 10 bans to bring it back to a format where I enjoyed playing with/against decks.
    I agree on W6, it's fine. Glad Jund is actually a thing again.

Oko is abysmal. I think it is likely the best 3-mana planeswalker we've seen yet, even better than Teferi. It should have cost 2UG or it should have only had 3 loyalty to start with a +1 on the two plus abilitys. Six loyalty is just too much for a 3-mana planeswalker that has the ability to do 3 things without additional support: kill any non-hexproof/shroud creature an opponent controls (make it an Elk), turn any spare creature/artifact you control into a threat and protect Oko, or stabilize your life-total with food tokens.

The floor is so high: pay 1GU, gain 3 life and almost assuredly untap with Oko in play. That's the worst thing you can do with it.

My interest in the format is waning swiftly, I'm not gonna lie. I wanted Stoneforge to be a tier1 strategy and it's barely tier2. I might have to bite the bullet and just play a more controlling version of UWx mid-range/control and play Supreme Verdicts. *sigh* It's not what I want to be doing, but if it means I can play Stoneforge I'll adjust.
    Brainstorm Realist

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    My interest in the format is waning swiftly, I'm not gonna lie. I wanted Stoneforge to be a tier1 strategy and it's barely tier2. I might have to bite the bullet and just play a more controlling version of UWx mid-range/control and play Supreme Verdicts. *sigh* It's not what I want to be doing, but if it means I can play Stoneforge I'll adjust.
    Even then you're just vialing in a 3/3 elk. I'm done with Modern until Oko is gone, unless something happens to drastically change the format. Teferi is similarly miserable to play against. I mean, I play with both Oko and Teferi in my current Modern deck, but I hate feeling the need to apologize for playing the best strategy. Why are these planeswalkers able to so fundamentally change how magic is even played? I've always been a fan of goodstuff.deck but recently I just can't stomach it.

Ironically, Pioneer seems to be the least effected format to Oko/Tef. Maybe it's because threats and counterspells are slow/bad enough that Murderous Rider really keeps down the effect of planeswalkers? I guess the other main deck, mono green, has a lot of creatures that are either elves (not elks) or big +1/+1 counter creatures that become "big elks." Hopefully it stays that way, I haven't had as much fun playing magic in a long time.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Even then you're just vialing in a 3/3 elk. I'm done with Modern until Oko is gone, unless something happens to drastically change the format. Teferi is similarly miserable to play against. I mean, I play with both Oko and Teferi in my current Modern deck, but I hate feeling the need to apologize for playing the best strategy. Why are these planeswalkers able to so fundamentally change how magic is even played? I've always been a fan of goodstuff.deck but recently I just can't stomach it.

Ironically, Pioneer seems to be the least effected format to Oko/Tef. Maybe it's because threats and counterspells are slow/bad enough that Murderous Rider really keeps down the effect of planeswalkers? I guess the other main deck, mono green, has a lot of creatures that are either elves (not elks) or big +1/+1 counter creatures that become "big elks." Hopefully it stays that way, I haven't had as much fun playing magic in a long time.
    I've heard the same from others about Pioneer, but the format doesn't appeal to me. If they take action on Oko I'll resume playing the format, but until then I think I'll put my Stoneblade deck on the back burner. I have plenty to keep me busy in Legacy, especially with the shakeup of banning W6. I now have a format I can play Dark Confidant again!

I think we'll see an Oko ban in modern for January. December seems a little too soon, but it might happen. WOTC is all over banning shit in Pioneer, making announcments every week. Once a month for other formats will seem like a long time, even though historically it has taken much longer than that to make a decision.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

DTB's for November:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23760&f=MO

Death's Shadow is on top along with Urza/Oko. Tron variants and Burn are solidly tier 2 (but likely closer to tier 1 than tier 2, tier 1.5 maybe?), Humans and Jund at tier 3, and UWx is nowhere in sight as far as tier decks go. Small uptick on Infect seems to be happening, which is interesting to say the least (according to representation.)

I predicted originally that Tron and Burn would suffer from Urza/Oko being so prevalently played but they seem to be holding their own. I think the decks to really keep a close eye on are Amulet Titan and Urza/Oko, they are both very difficult to interact with in a meaningful manner.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information