Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Modern Post-MH2

Re: Modern Post-MH2

I have high hopes for this set.

The vast majority of the cards printed are either answers or cards that rely on synergy. To me, that makes for a fun which is interactive yet also avoids situations where the meta devolves down to a bunch of 3-4.

I also very much like how they continue to print cards that with the intent of porting existing decks from Legacy into Modern (e.g. Death and Taxes; Enchantress; Elves) giving new life to under-powered archetypes that could get there (e.g. Madness; Blink).

There doesn't seem to be any super broken cards except for Ragavan which is just a dumb card that feels too much like Arcanist but for one less mana. It should not have had the exile and treasure effect. One or the other is fine but not both. If Arcanist is any precedent, I would not be surprised to see that get banned in Modern and Legacy once they are put into those format's respective UR tempo shells (Blitz and Delver respectively).

In terms of potential disasters: the suspend deck sticks out to me. Tons of enablers: As Foretold, Electrodominance, Collected Conjuring, Finale of Promise. Tons of payoffs: Ancestral Vision, Crashing Footballs, Restore Balance, Profane Tutor, Gaea's Will, Inevitable Betrayal, Lotus Bloom. Just like LED + Infernal Tutor + Past in Flames = Black Lotus + DT + Yag Will, I feel like this shell can end up the same way. I would not be surprised to see this deck wind up being way too good and require multiple bannings. I say multiple because there are now so many enablers and payoffs that just banning a couple things just means they move on the next best thing.

With the new tools available, I hope UWx control ends up being a top deck.

I also kind of hope they will unban GSZ and Punishing Fire. Those don't belong and would probably be perfectly fine in the format. I would love MH3 to have more support for Elves and a Lands deck. Maybe that could coincide with these being unbanned?

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I absolutely think both GSZ and Punishing Fire could be unbanned, along with Splinter Twin. I honestly think Splinter Twin coming off the banlist is in the near future, they have set a precedent with Bitterblossm, Jace, SFM, and Sword of the Meek. None of those cards broke modern, and honestly neither did Twin. If the format is gradually getting more powerful, as we expect it would, then some of the banlist cards look kind of silly.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I absolutely think both GSZ and Punishing Fire could be unbanned, along with Splinter Twin. I honestly think Splinter Twin coming off the banlist is in the near future, they have set a precedent with Bitterblossm, Jace, SFM, and Sword of the Meek. None of those cards broke modern, and honestly neither did Twin. If the format is gradually getting more powerful, as we expect it would, then some of the banlist cards look kind of silly.
    All these other cards (BB Jace SFM sword) were banned since the format's inception then unbanned

Twin saw play, then got banned, it's not entirely comparable. (Same with Pfire)

GSZ would be very strong, a big upgrade for titan decks plus whatever reclaimer etc strategies
    Pfire is maybe ok

Twin would definitely still be very good, whether it's a good thing to unban or not idk

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

You're totally right, I forgot about GSZ and PFire getting banned after Modern started. My mistake, sorry about that.

I think PFire is safe, I mean, what deck(s) would it be holding down too hard?

GSZ into Titan is probably too strong, I agree with that. I was wracking my brain on what could possibly break GSZ, and PrimeTime is definitely it.

I think unbanning Splinter Twin would create a really cool format, because it means all of the new 'broken' cards that hit the format would all have to consider the Twin paradigm before breaking the format. I could be way off, but I think it would be fun as hell.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Isn't Summoner's Pact flat out better for Amulet Titan since they plan to win the same turn? I suppose GSZ would replace Eladamri's Call but I really don't see it making it much better than it already is. Maybe I'm underestimating GSZ for the smaller targets earlier in the game.

Gsz for dryad seems way better than the sloth and makes the threat density of the deck insane.

It also seems much stronger than search for tomorrow or Sakura tribe elder in the most brainless deck ever created (Titanshift).

Sloth is good to make extra land drops and also to block so its not guaranteed that GSZ -> Arbor is a better line than Land -> Sloth -> Land but your point makes sense; Titan would definitely be more consistent with GSZ. That being said, I still think it can be safely unbanned.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So I'm going to throw out a short list of some predictions.

-Shardless Agent is one of the best cards in Modern now.
    -Ignoble Hierarch and Tourach will make Jund a good deck again.
    -Dragon's Rage Channeler will be slotted into Death's Shadow decks, as they are the decks best at getting delirium
    -At least 3 new decks will arise out of the set, likely a new Vengevine/Madness deck that might or might not include Hollow One
    -Merfolk will be a tier 2 or better deck with the new cards
    -Counterspell is the new normal, and that will make the format better
    -Cards that might be too good: Urza's Saga, Dauthi Voidwalker, Ragavan
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information