Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Modern Post-Hogaak

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    North Central CA

Re: Modern Post-Hogaak

I want to agree, but faeries has been on life support ever since Wrenn & Six got printed. It doesn't help that Bitterblossom is your own death sentence in this format with T3feri stalling, Plague Engineer maindeck, and Stoneforge being without a doubt the best 2 costing creature a fair deck can play. "Hello, black chump blockers, have you met my friend, Sword of Feast and Famine?"

Nov 2010
    New Gloucester, Maine, USA

I meant mono-blue tribal faeries, not traditional UB faeries. Something with Scion of Oona and a strong tempo plan.

Rough idea:

4x Faerie Seer
    4x Faerie Miscreant
    4x Ninja of the Deep Hours
    4x Spellstutter Sprite
    4x Hypnotic Sprite
    4x Faerie Vandal
    4x Scion of Oona
    2x Mistbind Clique
    3x Mana Leak
    2x Vapor Snag
    3x Dismember
    2x Spell Snare
    18x Island
    4x Mutavault

Faerie Vandal plays really well with turbo-Xerox in legacy, but is likely underpowered.
    I am counted amongst legions of the unrighteous
    who dread not being immersed in pits of fire

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    North Central CA

Even so, Wrenn and Plague Engineer make me think the deck just isn't what you want to be doing right now. With Whirza on the uptick, Plague Engineer is going to be seeing a ton of play, and pretty much every midrange deck is running Wrenn right now. Other tribal decks have better base toughness and a better selection of lords.

Nov 2010

That's fair. I think there could be a work-around by finding the right windows to counter them, but discard into Engineer/W6 is still pretty strong.

Nov 2010

Here is the dtb section on mtgtop8 for September:

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=23216&f=MO

Burn and Tron doing well as most predicted, and Whirza is picking up a ton of momentum.

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    North Central CA

For all the banning (or lack thereof) complaints for the latest B&R, the format looks relatively healthy. I've enjoyed the games I've played and felt like there are sufficient answers to the top decks lately. I haven't played much against the Paradoxical Outcome version of Urza, but it would be way too early to ban something out of it yet.

I wonder if irreparable damage has been done to the format through the past bannings every time a deck appears to be good, making a large subset of the current playerbase expect the next top deck to constantly get banned. It's the internet so people will always complain about anything, but the most recent reddit threads and the like have all sounded so strangely justified in their expectation of Mox Opal/Urza getting banned, despite it not being the top contender.

Nov 2010

I agree, the mishandling of the format has really given it 'baggage'. I also agree that modern is in a great spot; I'm playing Stoneblade and it's powerful but not oppressive. Hell, it isn't even really making much of a wave. The top decks are Burn, Whirza, Tron, and Jund.

Emry seems to be a ticking time bomb, in my opinion. Its got the hallmarks of an overpowered card: cost reduction and abilities that can enable broken interactions.

Thread Information