Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern Post-MH2

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Re: Modern Post-Hogaak

Haven't followed the format much since Pioneer started, but turned on the modern teams stream to see what's going on.

Is it as bad right now as this makes it look? Oko ban incoming? Urza ban incoming? Is this just a fluke?

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Haven't followed the format much since Pioneer started, but turned on the modern teams stream to see what's going on.

Is it as bad right now as this makes it look? Oko ban incoming? Urza ban incoming? Is this just a fluke?
    The ban will probably come someday. It's overpowered and over-represented.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

SCG Open in Knoxville had 4 Urza Oko decks in t8. I'm pretty sure this will continue until some action is taken. Whether the format can adapt is open for debate. More importantly, is there enough of a player base that still cares about Modern to work on adapting?

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=24280&d=369474
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So, I guess I'm right on time, lol.

Oko, Opal, and Mycosynth Lattice banned in Modern today.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Oko and Opal make sense. Lattice just seems so weird to me. Yeah "it isn't fun to be locked out of the game" but it's a 2 card, 10 mana combo (4 and 6, so not even spread out terribly much, or at least still significant investments) where it's susceptible to both artifact and walker hate. If decks getting it too fast is a problem, ban one of the Tron lands, they're they engine to abuse the payoff.

If you want to talk about not having fun playing Modern, why don't we ban Nexus of Fate or one of the pieces of Cryptic Command plus Mystic Sanctuary. Both of those lock you out of the game but in a much more miserable "guess I'll see if they can actually kill me but still not get to play for 15 turns." Like if someone gets Karn + lattice down, it's an insta kill if you don't have a response. You don't have to sit miserably for 20 turns watching someone play with themselves, you can just scoop. Unfun being a banning point is way too subjective. Not a fan of how they're doing things at WotC in regards to Modern.
    Last edited by Phoenix Ignition; 01-13-2020 at 11:26 PM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Ignition View Post
    Oko and Opal make sense. Lattice just seems so weird to me. Yeah "it isn't fun to be locked out of the game" but it's a 2 card, 10 mana combo (4 and 6, so not even spread out terribly much, or at least still significant investments) where it's susceptible to both artifact and walker hate. If decks getting it too fast is a problem, ban one of the Tron lands, they're they engine to abuse the payoff.

If you want to talk about not having fun playing Modern, why don't we ban Nexus of Fate or one of the pieces of Cryptic Command plus Mystic Sanctuary. Both of those lock you out of the game but in a much more miserable "guess I'll see if they can actually kill me but still not get to play for 15 turns." Like if someone gets Karn + lattice down, it's an insta kill if you don't have a response. You don't have to sit miserably for 20 turns watching someone play with themselves, you can just scoop. Unfun being a banning point is way too subjective. Not a fan of how they're doing things at WotC in regards to Modern.
    I suppose Karn + lattice was putting up more results than Cryptic + nexus + mystic sanctuary! :)

Here I Rule!!!!!!!!!!
    Oct 2008
    Minneapolis MN

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    I suppose Karn + lattice was putting up more results than Cryptic + nexus + mystic sanctuary! :)
    That's generous to assume, but not at all stated. Whereas they specifically talk about win rates for other cards.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I have seriously lost almost all interest in Modern as a format, honestly. RL cards are dropping in price over the past few months so it's getting even easier to commit resources to Legacy and play what I want. It's only a matter of time until some other card rears it's ugly head and gets banned. The root problem of Modern doesn't seem to ever go away.
    Last edited by Mr. Safety; 03-03-2020 at 02:34 PM.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

DTB - January 2020

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24420&f=MO

Looks like without Oko/Opal that Mono-Red Prowess is legitimately the best deck. The GWx "Company" deck is making a resurgence, with the help of Once Upon a Time and some amount of SFM/equips. Humans are making a decent comeback, drifting back into tier 2 alongside stalwart Tron decks. Noticably absent from the list is Grixis Death's Shadow, which seems to be in a slump.

Format still looks boring to me, but we'll see how it shakes out over the next couple months. I at least enjoy looking at the mtgtop8 data, and sharing it with anyone at TheSource that still follows modern.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

DTB - February 2020

https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=24772&f=MO

Urza
    Amulet Titan
    Mono-Red Prowess
    Shadow
    Jund
    Bant Control
    Heliod (GW combo creatures)
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

What does the Modern metagame even look like right now? It's been a while since I've even thought about Modern.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    What does the Modern metagame even look like right now? It's been a while since I've even thought about Modern.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

As a side note: Wow did Steelshaper's Gift shoot up thanks to the Hammer Time deck (Colossus Hammer+Puresteel Paladin combo; Lurrus turned it from a meme deck into Tier 1). It's more expensive than Stoneforge Mystic right now!

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Cool, thanks.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So a fairly big shakeup of Modern just happened (again!) I'll be looking to customize a Grixis Death's Shadow list, anybody else have plans to dip their toes into Modern again?
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Modern Post-MH2

Every couple of years something happens in Modern to get my attention. The last time it was the unbanning of Stoneforge Mystic. This time it's the printing of Counterspell into Modern, along with the potentially back-breaking new card Diamond Lion (hello dredge my old friend.) I think Diamond Lion will be the mistake of this set for sure.

I re-named the thread to be 'Modern Post-MM2', because I think the set (just like that last Modren Horizons) will fundamentally change the format.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: Modern Post-MH2

Every couple of years something happens in Modern to get my attention. The last time it was the unbanning of Stoneforge Mystic. This time it's the printing of Counterspell into Modern, along with the potentially back-breaking new card Diamond Lion (hello dredge my old friend.) I think Diamond Lion will be the mistake of this set for sure.

I re-named the thread to be 'Modern Post-MM2', because I think the set (just like that last Modren Horizons) will fundamentally change the format.
    While my love for Counterspell knows no bounds, I am unlikely to really play Modern much still. I barely have time for Legacy as it is. Do you think that Diamond Lion will really be that good, despite costing 2 and not being usable the first turn in play? Honest question, I really don't know how Modern Dredge tends to work, so maybe that isn't a big deal and can still get abused with something like Unearth.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Modern Post-MM2

I think it could potentially be abusable in Dredge, but a friend actually mentioned it could be much better in modern UR Storm. That deck already plays 7-8 creatures to feed combo turns so it dying to Bolt isn't an argument against it...it takes attention away from Baral/Electromancer. If you untap with it, it seems to be game over. It might even open up lines of play with Infernal Tutor.

EDIT: With my only outlet for magic being paper, and sanctioned gameplay opening up at the end of May, I want to have something to play if a store does some events. If it's modern, its modern.
    Brainstorm Realist

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

With my only outlet for magic being paper, and sanctioned gameplay opening up at the end of May, I want to have something to play if a store does some events. If it's modern, its modern.
    This is more or less my approach as well. Fortunately there is enough overlap in the Legacy/Modern card pools to already have exposure to Modern with a moderate Legacy collection.

I expect MH2 will reshape the Modern and Eternal landscapes in a similar, but perhaps less drastic, fashion as MH1.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I am really hoping for the 'less drastic' part of your note being correct. New fun stuff? Awesome! Format warping broken shit? Please, no.

What's really interesting is that Modern has become a format where a lot of powerful creatures and spells exist...but without the hyper-efficient dig spells like Brainstorm and Ponder. It creates an interesting world where synergy is valued way more than pure card quality. I mean, when was the last time you heard about traditional Jund (the epitome of card quality deckbuilding) taking a tournament? I think with Jace and Counterspell in the format there could be a legitimate control deck that becomes a pillar of the format.
    Brainstorm Realist

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

There's a ton of juice in MH2 that will really change up the landscape, of note are the cards Counterspell and Grief. Other reprints that may see play are Goblin Bombardment, Mishra's Factory, and Imperial Recruiter. Lots of powerful cards so far, definitely going to shake things up.
    Brainstorm Realist

Thread Information