Thread: [Deck] Snow Drift

[Deck] Snow Drift

So, this is my take on Drift in Modern. I messed around with a lot of different builds and a lot of different color combinations. This isn't final or definitive yet by any means, but it does feel like the list with the most potential. Basically combine the new cycling and new snow cards together for a bunch of the winnings.

Creatures
    4x Ice-Fang Coatl
    2x Knight of Autumn
    3x Eternal Witness
    2x Siege Rhino

Artifacts
    4x Arcum's Astrolabe

Enchantments
    4x Astral Drift

Spells
    2x Unearth
    4x Censor
    2x Life from the Loam
    4x Into the North
    4x Dead of Winter

Lands
    4x Prismatic Vista
    4x Tranquil Thicket
    4x Secluded Steppe
    1x Scattered Groves
    1x Irrigated Farmlands
    1x Fetid Pools
    2x Arctic Flats
    1x Boreal Shelf
    1x Frost Marsh
    2x Snow-Covered Plains
    2x Snow-Covered Forest
    1x Snow-Covered Island
    1x Snow-Covered Swamp

Sideboard
    this is a work in progress, but I am liking 3-4x Rebuild here now that it's legal in Modern.

The mana base works really good at providing you whatever colors you need. The deck has 18 Snow cards total, but no way to control what's on top of the library, otherwise I could definitely see a singleton Scrying Sheets in here. Biggest weaknesses so far are a lack of great disruption, lack of a quick clock, and very limited ability to interact with manlands. Or other lands.

So basically you beat the tar out of fair decks, and lose to unfair decks that aren't based around creatures. Tron also owns this, hard. Censor is pretty easily the weakest spell in the deck right now. Rhino is an incredible card, but doesn't really feel like it does enough here, despite being lifegain, reach, and a huge clock.

As always, suggestions and ideas are appreciated.

EDIT:

I've come to the conclusion that black is currently unnecessary and going straight Bant colors would provide more utility and better protection in the form of 3feri and counterspells. This is where I'm at for now.

Creatures - 10
    4x Ice-Fang Coatl
    3x Eternal Witness
    3x Knight of Autumn

Enchantments - 4
    4x Astral Drift

Spells - 18
    4x Farseek (it's entirely possible this should be Edge of Autumn, but for now I like being able to fetch cycling duals with it)
    2x Life from the Loam
    3x Force of Negation
    4x Censor
    4x Supreme Verdict

Planeswalkers - 2
    2x Teferi, Time Raveler

Lands - 26
    3x Prismatic Vista
    3x Snow-Covered Forest
    2x Snow-Covered Plains
    2x Snow-Covered Island
    3x Scattered Groves
    3x Irrigated Farmland
    4x Secluded Steppe
    4x Tranquil Thicket
    2x Celestial Colonnade (flex land slot, might be anything from Emeria, the Sky Ruin (lots of plains in the deck thanks to cycling duals) to Field of the Dead to Lumbering Falls to Vitu-Ghazi)

Sideboard
    4x Obstinate Baloth (discard, Jund, and burn)
    1x Force of Negation
    2x Force of Vigor
    3x Gideon of the Trials
    4x Spreading Seas (Tron)
    1x Ravenous Trap

Other cards I'm looking at include Gideon of the Trials, Elspeth, Jace, Search for Azcanta, Cast Out, Hall of Heliod's Generosity, Bag of Holding, and Planar Cleansing. Plus other stuff.
    Last edited by morgan_coke; 09-04-2019 at 09:30 PM.

Thread Information