Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leyline Deck Wins

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Leyline Deck Wins

So Ive heard rumors of there being a Leyline Deck out there somewhere but have never seen a list for it, so without further ado, from the same man who brought you Pitch World, Plurality(Leyline of Singularity.dec), and partially Fluctuating Goodness, I present my first draft of Leyline Deck Wins!

// Lands
    2 [7E] Forest (2)
    2 [7E] Plains (2)
    4 [R] Savannah
    4 [US] Serra's Sanctum

// Creatures
    4 [FUT] Street Wraith

// Spells
    4 [UL] Crop Rotation
    4 [TE] Lotus Petal
    4 [IN] Sterling Grove
    4 [CS] Mishra's Bauble
    4 [GP] Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 [DS] Serum Powder
    4 [UD] Opalescence
    4 [GP] Leyline of the Void
    4 [GP] Leyline of the Meek
    4 [GP] Leyline of Singularity
    4 [GP] Leyline of Lightning

The basic point is to draw a hand with some leylines, and then get Opalescence down and beat for the win, it seems kinda of hard to assemble, but Im sure there are optimizations possible from what I came up with, any suggestions?

Re: Leyline Deck Wins

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Leyline of Singularity
    Those would be bad. It says you may, but with one, you can only have one of each. Unless you have Singularity, Void, Meek, and Lightning, you would have dead cards. It would be better as Lifeforce. That way you have a better chance of more Leylines, for example with Void, Void, Meak, Lifeforce, you would lose a void if that Lifeforce was a Singularity.

mull to the skull
    Oct 2007
    SoCal

Good catch Bovinious.

I actually saw this deck in action at a recent tournament, it actually had an impressive record (I think a 5-3-0). With further testing, I think it can be a force to be reckoned with.

Key things to recognize with this deck:

Leylines are FREE: F R E E. Nothing in this world is free, but leylines are!

Serum Powder / Street Wraith
    : Effectively cuts down the cards in the deck and enhances your chances, greatly, of obtaining the cards you need to win.

Sterling Grove:
    Means you can get Opalescence fairly consistently and also protects your leylines from Tranquility or Tempest of Light out of the board.

Mishra's Bauble: Is important to see what your opponent has on top of his library to make sure you can combo off the next turn w/o having to worry too much. The cantrip helps.

Suggestions:

Living Wish: Wishing for Storm Entity to combo with multiple Mishra's Baubles and Lotus Petals seems like a strong play. You can almost imitate the storm count from decks such as Belcher or TES. As for fitting in the correct colors, just run some Land Grants and Taigas, they help your storm count as well. Living Wish also gives the deck a backup plan should things go awry (such as getting Tranquility cast on you games 2 and 3). Also, with leyline of lifeforce, your creatures will never be countered coming out of the board.

Enduring Ideal: If you can't get out enough leylines or can't find Opalescence, this seems like a fine choice to hardcast and win the game shortly after with.

All in all, this seems like a very viable deck. It has at least a 50% matchup against all the deck in the field. The only matchup I would be concerned with is Belcher because it kills you turn one on the play.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur View Post
    Those would be bad. It says you may, but with one, you can only have one of each. Unless you have Singularity, Void, Meek, and Lightning, you would have dead cards. It would be better as Lifeforce. That way you have a better chance of more Leylines, for example with Void, Void, Meak, Lifeforce, you would lose a void if that Lifeforce was a Singularity.
    I do play Leyline of Lifeforce, and I have thought about the SIngularity drawback but I think its important enough to the deck to at least get SOME leylines in play, even If i possibly have to hold back a second singularity/other leyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmilord View Post
    Good catch Bovinious.

I actually saw this deck in action at a recent tournament, it actually had an impressive record (I think a 5-3-0). With further testing, I think it can be a force to be reckoned with.

Key things to recognize with this deck:

Leylines are FREE: F R E E. Nothing in this world is free, but leylines are!

Serum Powder / Street Wraith
    : Effectively cuts down the cards in the deck and enhances your chances, greatly, of obtaining the cards you need to win.

Sterling Grove:
    Means you can get Opalescence fairly consistently and also protects your leylines from Tranquility or Tempest of Light out of the board.

Mishra's Bauble: Is important to see what your opponent has on top of his library to make sure you can combo off the next turn w/o having to worry too much. The cantrip helps.

Suggestions:

Living Wish: Wishing for Storm Entity to combo with multiple Mishra's Baubles and Lotus Petals seems like a strong play. You can almost imitate the storm count from decks such as Belcher or TES. As for fitting in the correct colors, just run some Land Grants and Taigas, they help your storm count as well. Living Wish also gives the deck a backup plan should things go awry (such as getting Tranquility cast on you games 2 and 3). Also, with leyline of lifeforce, your creatures will never be countered coming out of the board.

Enduring Ideal: If you can't get out enough leylines or can't find Opalescence, this seems like a fine choice to hardcast and win the game shortly after with.

All in all, this seems like a very viable deck. It has at least a 50% matchup against all the deck in the field. The only matchup I would be concerned with is Belcher because it kills you turn one on the play.
    Sterling Grove doesnt protect from mass enchantment removal but it does protect Leylines from Grip and the like, and I just realized possibly can be used to find silver bullets such as Planar Void or Engineered Plague to help the Ichorid/Goblin matchups, any other ideas for silver bullets?

Originally there were 8 Baubles in the deck but then I realized Street Wraith was better so I cut Urza's, Mishra's seems better anyhow.

Enduring Ideal would be strong but I dont think its castable unfortunately :(

I worked on this deck for a little while ages ago; let me root around, and maybe I can find a semi-tuned list. From what I recall, trying to get a swift combo with Leylines and Opalescence was pretty damn tough. Instead, I opted to diversify the combo by adding the possibility of making tokens with Words of Wilding and Sylvan Library (buttload of bears--with Leyline of the Meek, you even get huge bears). There was also Saproling Burst (that's the enchantment one, right?). Even then, though, it was a little clunky and inconsistent, though it packed quite a lot of power. Without my list, all I can tell you is that I think that the deck needs more diversity to be competitive enought to be worth building. Also, Leyline of Lifeforce is pretty much useless. Sure, it ups your chances of opening with four or five Leylines; it also dilutes the strength of the deck, making it too unwieldy in the long run. Much the same goes for Singularity, unless you plan to do something nasty with Karakas.

Sterling Grove is definitely essential to protect live enchantments from creature removal, though. It's a keeper.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by Goaswerfraiejen View Post
    I worked on this deck for a little while ages ago; let me root around, and maybe I can find a semi-tuned list. From what I recall, trying to get a swift combo with Leylines and Opalescence was pretty damn tough. Instead, I opted to diversify the combo by adding the possibility of making tokens with Words of Wilding and Sylvan Library (buttload of bears--with Leyline of the Meek, you even get huge bears). There was also Saproling Burst (that's the enchantment one, right?). Even then, though, it was a little clunky and inconsistent, though it packed quite a lot of power. Without my list, all I can tell you is that I think that the deck needs more diversity to be competitive enought to be worth building. Also, Leyline of Lifeforce is pretty much useless. Sure, it ups your chances of opening with four or five Leylines; it also dilutes the strength of the deck, making it too unwieldy in the long run. Much the same goes for Singularity, unless you plan to do something nasty with Karakas.

Sterling Grove is definitely essential to protect live enchantments from creature removal, though. It's a keeper.
    Hmm karakas seems better than plains in the deck, in case we do get out Singularity some nasty shenanigans could ensue. Words of Wilding and Sylvan Library sounds like it has potential, do you have any sort of list for comparison?

Hmmm this deck seems interesting but i think your missing a card in here that could single-handedly win you the game.

*drum roll please*

Homarid Spawning Bed.

This card can win you the game and is defiantly worth splashing for , sure you have a rocky mana base but whats better than beating face with camarids??? Just splash some blue and throw in Aethersnipe, evoke it , and use the Spawning bed before it dies and then u just made 6 1/1's for 6 mana and with Leyling of the Lifeforce there all 2/2's what a bargin.
    Team The Copenhavers

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

I am assuming that is total sarcasm. The tokens would all die to Leyline of Singularity, not to mention the logistics of getting that mana out in a deck with low mana to begin with.

As note: if you have Singularity and any 2 non-land permanents out with the same name, ALL copies are put into the graveyard, not just one.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Yeah Im pretty sure it was sarcasm too, altho maybe some cheap way of token generation could be nice with Leyline of Meek, perhaps Pegasus Mesa?

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Mobilization would be better. The tokens would have vigilance antics and wouldn't eat themselves automatically, so having multiple of it out would more often that not be the better choice (when compared to Sacred Mesa).
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Mobilization would be better. The tokens would have vigilance antics and wouldn't eat themselves automatically, so having multiple of it out would more often that not be the better choice (when compared to Sacred Mesa).
    Sacred Mesa seems a tons better since it costs one less. 3 pegasus tokens costs the same as 2 soldiers (with Serra Sanctum, that is a ton of tokens). I don't think that vigilance is applicable, really.

I destroyed the Hot Chicks Thread

Nov 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmilord View Post
    Good catch Bovinious.
    No.

Leyline of singularity seems god awful in this deck. I mean, seriously, you can't abuse it (if that card could ever be abused), and it hurts you a lot more than it will hurt anyone else.

Maybe put them in the sideboard for warren tech?

Runs on caffeine
    May 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Yesmilord
    All in all, this seems like a very unviable deck. It has a little less then a 0% matchup against all the deck in the field.
    Fixed.

Seriously, this deck is so damn bad it's not even funny. No really. I don't even know why I took the time to enter this in MWS to test it.

Something constructive to not make this entire post one big flame on your deck:

You need to resolve 1 card (Opalescence) for you to win. You cannot protect that card. In case you didn't know, there are decks out there that play counters, discard, etc.

Just.. no.

President of My Own Backyard
    Dec 2007
    Earfth

Leylines....hmm....

I've seen a T2 combo that used Leyline of Singularity to nuke Hunted Horror's token generation that was kind of interesting, but not very consistant.

As for this mess...Leyline of Singularity is bad, and belongs to a different deck entirely.

One enchantment you may consider adding 1 to 2 copies of:

Ancestral Mask
    "Enchanted creatures +2/+2 for each other enchantment in play"

If this doesn't bump it up to a tier 1 deck, I don't know what will.

No really, seriously, I really don't know what will. I guess thats why I stick mostly to odd / off the wall decks and mostly play for fun.
    ...Just another man with the sense of a lemming looking for the right cliff.

Nov 2010
    Segovia, Spain

Preventing Opalescence to be countered... Why don't include Boseiju? About discard we have got a big problem, even more if we begin with Leyline of the Void in play... Or adding Vexing Shusher

Just some dude.
    May 2009
    Akron, Ohio, USA

Quote Originally Posted by abel_lg View Post
    Preventing Opalescence to be countered... Why don't include Boseiju? About discard we have got a big problem, even more if we begin with Leyline of the Void in play... Or adding Vexing Shusher
    Most unreal necro ever, haha.

You are running 4 Leyline of Sanctity anyways, so I don't see why discard is/wil be an issue.

Boseiju mana makes Instants and Sorceries uncounterable, not Enchantments.
    Delver enthusiast and avid practitioner of blind flipsmanship.

Follow me on Twitter: @AllSunsDawn

@ abel_lg: Xantid Swarm. Srsly.

I would add
    4x Enlightened Tutor
    1+ Helm of Obedience

as an alternative win cond. combined with Leyline of the Void. E. Tutor can also dig up Opalescence.

Replenish or Second Sunrise should be at least SB card vs stuff like Reverent Silence.

Some other card options:
    Yavimaya Enchantress
    Parallax Wave/Nexus
    Academy Rector
    Tethered Griffin
    Tarmogoyf (heck, why not?)

...or, if you're feeling wild, Eureka + big stuff

Still, this deck will remain a fun casual deck - not tier 1. At best, you may try to beat up a small playgroup/tournament of friends with known target player/gy based strategies (Leyline of Sanctity/Void).

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Would like to necro the thread as it had a series on mtggoldfish.com

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles...egacy-leylines

Would like to propose a list if anyone wants to give it a go. I'm not sure why it wasn't tested running Trinisphere maindeck. If Mishra's Workshop + Trinisphere was so oppressive, why wouldn't Serra's Sanctum + Trinisphere be equally as oppressive?

//Maindeck
    2 City of Brass
    4 Mana Confluence
    1 Tree of Tales
    4 Serra's Sanctum

4 Crop Rotation
    3 Enlightened Tutor

4 Leyline of Anticipation
    4 Leyline of Lifeforce
    4 Leyline of Punishment
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    4 Leyline of Vitality
    3 Leyline of the Meek
    4 Leyline of the Void
    4 Opalescence
    3 Suppression Field

4 Serum Powder
    3 Trinisphere
    1 Helm of Obedience

//Sideboard

1 Banishing Light
    1 Oblivion Ring
    3 Land Tax
    1 Curse of Exhaustion
    1 Replenish
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Stony Silence
    1 Trinisphere
    1 Suppression Field
    3 Plains
    1 Forest

Sideboard: Could also forego Curse, light&ring, for 3 Mirran Crusader or Lodestone Golem, which are probably pretty solid as well. Maybe even run Gemstone Caverns on the draw. (swapping some of the City of Brass and rainbow lands.)
    -rob

Aug 2016
    Flanders

Trinisphere is a pretty good plan! Both against combo and to dodge Fow on your next turn Opalescence... I dont play the deck but if it'd be a bit better I might take it to a Fnm some day (have all cards except the "bad" Leylines).

Mtggoldfish vid series discouraged me a bit tho, seemed *very* inconsistent

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i haven't watched the videos yet, but i suspect it is difficult to get 4x leylines + sanctum + opalescence. I would be happy to try on something like cockatrice, but most people probably don't want to play vs this thing!
    -rob

Thread Information