Thread: Various Gaak interactions

Various Gaak interactions

I'm pretty sure I have these Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis interactions correct, but I want to check.

Containment Priest does not stop it even if it's cast from the graveyard

You can cast it with convoke and delve through Trinisphere without paying 3 mana

It does not trigger Flayer of the Hatebound even if cast from the graveyard

It does trigger Prized Amalgam if cast from the graveyard

Grafdigger's Cage won't stop Gaak if cast from hand, but it does stop it if cast from the graveyard right because of Cage's second ability. I think the first ability would stop it too, or is it like the Flayer 'entering from the stack, not from the graveyard' thing, so it wouldn't (if there was only first ability, hypothetically)?

Re: Various Gaak interactions

Quote Originally Posted by Lava Snacks View Post
    I'm pretty sure I have these Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis interactions correct, but I want to check.

Containment Priest does not stop it even if it's cast from the graveyard

You can cast it with convoke and delve through Trinisphere without paying 3 mana

It does not trigger Flayer of the Hatebound even if cast from the graveyard

It does trigger Prized Amalgam if cast from the graveyard

Grafdigger's Cage won't stop Gaak if cast from hand, but it does stop it if cast from the graveyard right because of Cage's second ability. I think the first ability would stop it too, or is it like the Flayer 'entering from the stack, not from the graveyard' thing, so it wouldn't (if there was only first ability, hypothetically)?
    Casting Hogaak with convoke/delve is still 'casting' it, so Containment Priest doesn't affect it

Trinisphere does not affect Hogaak because Delve and Convoke are now treated as alternative ways to pay mana for the spell. This is a change to how these abilities worked originally, where Delve reduced the cost to be paid, so if you refer to old MTGS threads for "Delve Trinisphere" or whatever then you will get a different (incorrect) answer.

Hogaak does not trigger Flayer of the Hatebound if cast from the graveyard, because it enters the battlefield from the stack

Hogaak does trigger Prized Amalgam if cast from the graveyard

Cage doesn't affect Hogaak being cast from hand. The second ability of Grafdigger's Cage stops Hogaak from being cast from the graveyard. The first ability of Cage would not stop Hogaak from entering the battlefield from the stack after being cast from the graveyard.

Re: Various Gaak interactions

Thanks!

Thread Information