Thread: Dimir Lantern

Sep 2011

Dimir Lantern

Why is no one playing Lantern control anymore?

Scheming Symmetry + Codex Shredder = LOLOLOLOL

Once you include Whir of Invention, the deck can run a full set of tutors to get anything it wants.

Is this only because Urza is so broken that all artifact decks play him instead? When they ban something from the Urza deck, this seems like a good home for artifacts. In the meantime, dedicated conTROLL could be a good way to fight Urza. Those decks have so many moving pieces that a surgical deck like this should be able to hate it out.

//Artifacts: 28
    4 Mox Opal
    4 Mishra's Bauble
    4 Arcum's Astrolabe
    4 Lantern of Insight
    4 Codex Shredder
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Welding Jar
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Pyxis of Pandemonium
    1 Pyrite Spellbomb
    1 Mystic Forge

//Spells: 14
    4 Thoughtseize
    3 Inquisition of Kozilek
    3 Scheming Symmetry
    4 Whir of Invention

//Lands: 18
    4 Prismatic Vista
    4 Polluted Delta
    3 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Watery Grave
    1 Academy Ruins
    1 Inventors' Fair
    1 Darksteel Citadel

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Surgical Extraction
    1 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Grafdigger's Cage
    1 Witchbane Orb
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Executioner's Capsule
    1 Spellskite
    1 Torpor Orb
    1 Damping Sphere
    1 Plague Engineer
    1 Dead of Winter

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Dimir Lantern

I have been thinking about the fact that Lantern hasn't been played as well, which seems odd. It was such a power-house for a long time in the modern format.

I was thinking it should be very easy to break Scheming Symmetry with Thopter/Sword. Even with mill-rocks that mill both of you it works, because you can mill a Sword of the Meek after fetching it and still get it back. I also think Drown in the Loch could be a very powerful tool for this deck. It's essentially counterspell late game and a decent removal early. I wouldn't want to be all-in on Ensnaring Bridge; some decks can ignore it or deal with it fairly easily, especially considering the rise of KCommand in the format to combat Stoneblade decks.

Green was pretty important for early Lantern decks, mostly for Ancient Stirrings but also for Abrupt Decay. Astrolabe/Mox lets you splash a 3rd color pretty easily.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Thread Information