Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: New Format announced - Pioneer

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: New Format announced - Pioneer

Quote Originally Posted by jmlima View Post
    This is going to be another crap fest like 1v1 commander on mtgo was (is?).
    Probably. I'm not going to invest any cents in this format. I have everything for Arclight Phoenix deck... that's enough for me :)

It reminds me a bit of early modern: there's a their zero deck which will be banned soon, but also your brew could easily break into the meta.

Site Contributor

Dec 2013

i just dropped $200 or so on some missing pieces to put together several decks.
    my LGS is running twice a week events and i'd guess this format will live or die on how much support it gets from WOTC.

i always liked slaughter games in standard, so i get to jam it again...

Mono Black Devotion looks pretty sweet. I always liked MBC. Also the UR Ensoul decks look pretty cool. Darksteel Citadel and Shrapnel Blast are legal. That seems fun.
    "We are goblinkind, heirs to the mountain empires of chieftains past. Rest is death to us, and arson is our call to war."

So looking at CFB's magic fest schedule for 2020 and it does indeed appear that Pioneer is just being used to push out Legacy.

https://www.cfbevents.com/2020

Feel like my legacy deck spends too much time gathering dust these days, might just sell up so I can get a new kitchen.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post
    So looking at CFB's magic fest schedule for 2020 and it does indeed appear that Pioneer is just being used to push out Legacy.

https://www.cfbevents.com/2020

Feel like my legacy deck spends too much time gathering dust these days, might just sell up so I can get a new kitchen.
    Modern had the same feel as Pioneer does now, and that didn't push out Legacy. It did have a significant impact on potential growth for Legacy, but the format survived. Pioneer doesn't pull on Legacy like Modern does, it pulls on Modern. I may be completely wrong, but I think that Legacy will survive Pioneer. It is also possible that with the combined total of resources being injected into Modern and Pioneer that Legacy just starves to death. I hope this will not be the case, but I do think it's possible (if not probable.)

In regards to Pioneer and the incredibly strong control that WOTC has taken of the ban-list, I don't think it will last very long. Modern was tested and then finally accepted as an official format. It was wildly popular in the beginning and then almost didn't survive the heavy ban-hammers that fell. With Pioneer's narrower card pool I don't know if it will survive the even heavier ban-hammering it will get. Look at how popular Standard is (pretty low) and all of the problems it's had with bans in smaller card-pools. If Pioneer was the 'no banned card' version of Modern I think it would be incredible; finally a competitive format without a banned list. They went the opposite way and are banning like it's a Taco-Tuesday regular event.

Take all of this with a grain of salt, because I don't have any interest/stake in Pioneer. With WOTC supporting it as an official comp-REL tournament format at its events it might be 'forced' into the community because there are enough people that just want competitive outlets.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

With those card sets, it would just cannibalize modern more than legacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I may be completely wrong, but I think that Legacy will survive Pioneer.
    It may well do but this is just sapping my desire to play even more. Seem to be fewer big events than ever in the UK and I've not played legacy competitively since the summer as with a baby I can't rly justify going out for small events like FNMs etc... This event schedule makes it look less promising than ever.

Thread Information