Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Demise of magic

Hybrid View

bruizar

Demise of magic

The demise of magic has really happened this year and i dont think it will get any better because there is a different ceo at the helm who is adamant on short term profit. There seems to be no long term strategy besides ‘push digital’ and ‘monetize addicted paper players’, stretching wallets to their breaking point.

There is so much fatigue amongst the players, spoiler season feels like a chore rather than an exciting evolution of magic’s card pool, and tournaments are so spread out between each other that certain sets hardly even see the light of day before another set is already shouting for attention.

I truly believe that this time, magic is really in a bad place. Weve been in a bad place before but i truly feel this is different, and i believe that what took 22 years to build is being destroyed in 3 years.

Tcg’s thrive on longevity, not on short term gains.

Wonder if u guys notice the same.

Re: Demise of magic

I think Magic is doing fine.
    Legacy, however isn't in a great shape.

Hard to say they're overly focused on digital when they just released a new format that is not available on their shiny new online platform.

If spoiler season feels like a chore, you might be media-saturated. Take a break from the internet for a week or two.

Paper MTG is actually pretty fun right now, although maybe you need a break from the game as well.
    DDD / Death & Taxes

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Legacy, however isn't in a great shape.
    Care to elaborate? I’ve heard that story for fifteen years since the end of 1.5.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Care to elaborate? I’ve heard that story for fifteen years since the end of 1.5.
    I think Legacy in local areas is doing great, but the coverage has pretty much disappeared in the professional circuit. By nature of its stagnance/slowness, legacy is insulated to a large degree from the problems felt throughout other formats and media.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I think Legacy in local areas is doing great, but the coverage has pretty much disappeared in the professional circuit. By nature of its stagnance/slowness, legacy is insulated to a large degree from the problems felt throughout other formats and media.
    Legacy is, if anything, receiving more coverage due to Team Constructed events filling the void where Opens were alternating between formats. Local events are the same as they’ve always really been. Legacy doesn’t have as many players as Modern or Standard - and that’s okay.

I think the format is in a terrific spot. Honestly, I think people are seeing stability and great success with decks using basic land mana bases and seeing that they can afford them now which brings them in based on overall entry cost reduction.

Especially thanks to Vista and Astrolabe.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Honestly, I think people are seeing stability and great success with decks using basic land mana bases and seeing that they can afford them now which brings them in based on overall entry cost reduction.

Especially thanks to Vista and Astrolabe.
    This is huge, 100% agree.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

The demise of magic has really happened this year and i dont think it will get any better because there is a different ceo at the helm who is adamant on short term profit. There seems to be no long term strategy besides ‘push digital’ and ‘monetize addicted paper players’, stretching wallets to their breaking point.
    The strategy is actually "maximize return on investment" like most major companies are nowadays, and that is unlikely to change because the most important constituency is Hasbro shareholders who expect constant growth. It is unsustainable in the long term, but most companies lack the luxury to act for the long term because the shareholders want their return and want it now.

bruizar

"Hard to say they're overly focused on digital when they just released a new format that is not available on their shiny new online platform."

Launching a format requires $0 investment. Launching Arena requires many millions. Where are the investments in physical tournaments? Where are the investments in proper card stock? Where are the investments in LGS's? It's direct-to-consumer or Amazon or Walmart, pushing out too much product, catering to the whales with collectors editions and introducing massive power creep. These are the same pay-to-play practices that come from the Zynga era of video games where they search for whales and abuse an addiction, because that is what it has become for many. The only reason why this forum exists is because we are all heavily invested into the game with thousands of dollars worth of product. Spoilers feel like a chore because one set is spoilered and 2 DAYS LATER the next one already begins (War of the Spark into Core2020)

The comparative enjoyment you get from something like Magic does not objectively justify the thousands of dollars in your collection. Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars Destiny, Rollplayer, Dominion, Keyforge, and so many other games are objectively not thousands of times less enjoyable as Magic the Gathering is, and some of them are arguably more enjoyable. Thus, the reason why you're in the game, is because your wallet is in the game, not because you like the game so much.

The professor compared the price of the Throne of Eldraine collectors box (and I believe also the Mythic Edition box) to the Nintendo Switch + 2 or 3 games you could buy for that. We can all agree that the value for money of a Nintendo Switch and a game like Zelda and Super Smash Bros Brawl, which required 7 generations of consoles and billions of dollars of collective technology RND, is far higher than a foil Jace that curls up like a pringle. Even the counterfeits don't curl up like that.

"Hard to say they're overly focused on digital when they just released a new format that is not available on their shiny new online platform."

Launching a format requires $0 investment. Launching Arena requires many millions. Where are the investments in physical tournaments? Where are the investments in proper card stock? Where are the investments in LGS's? It's direct-to-consumer or Amazon or Walmart, pushing out too much product, catering to the whales with collectors editions and introducing massive power creep. These are the same pay-to-play practices that come from the Zynga era of video games where they search for whales and abuse an addiction, because that is what it has become for many. The only reason why this forum exists is because we are all heavily invested into the game with thousands of dollars worth of product. Spoilers feel like a chore because one set is spoilered and 2 DAYS LATER the next one already begins (War of the Spark into Core2020)

The comparative enjoyment you get from something like Magic does not objectively justify the thousands of dollars in your collection. Legend of the Five Rings, Star Wars Destiny, Rollplayer, Dominion, Keyforge, and so many other games are objectively not thousands of times less enjoyable as Magic the Gathering is, and some of them are arguably more enjoyable. Thus, the reason why you're in the game, is because your wallet is in the game, not because you like the game so much.

The professor compared the price of the Throne of Eldraine collectors box (and I believe also the Mythic Edition box) to the Nintendo Switch + 2 or 3 games you could buy for that. We can all agree that the value for money of a Nintendo Switch and a game like Zelda and Super Smash Bros Brawl, which required 7 generations of consoles and billions of dollars of collective technology RND, is far higher than a foil Jace that curls up like a pringle. Even the counterfeits don't curl up like that.
    So you selling your collection or what?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So you selling your collection or what?
    I am much less inclined to spend on new cards. I’ll monitor the trend, and if i feel that at some point things escalate to the point where im no longer comfortable holding my collection i will sell off.

My point here is not to complain, my point is to raise what i see is a threat to magic and see whether others dhare the same thoughts or not. I guess for you the answer is, nothing’s threatening magic right now.

I am much less inclined to spend on new cards. I’ll monitor the trend, and if i feel that at some point things escalate to the point where im no longer comfortable holding my collection i will sell off.

My point here is not to complain, my point is to raise what i see is a threat to magic and see whether others dhare the same thoughts or not. I guess for you the answer is, nothing’s threatening magic right now.
    Lol at the idea that this thread, titled "the demise of magic" was for anything but to complain about kids these days and their Mana efficient threats with three abilities.

this is funny. here's a thumbs up.

You guys know what’s really dying? Forums about Magic.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    You guys know what’s really dying? Forums about Magic.
    Well there have been a couple of threads on that topic, like this one from 2018: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...iscord-threads

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

https://twitter.com/Jonnymagic00/sta...18066824011782

intersting view on how planeswalkers destroyed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by sco0ter View Post
    https://twitter.com/Jonnymagic00/sta...18066824011782

intersting view on how planeswalkers destroyed the game.
    It's not interesting so much as "what we intended".
    They were advertised as if another player had sat down and played with you. They're also all mythics, which are supposed to be game warping and splashy.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I actually like Planeswalkers, as a way to break up the Creature//Removal paradigm (or whatever Permanent type you like), especially in places where efficient (and hyper-efficient) sweepers/removal exist.

If Planeswalkers didn't exist, the creature power-creep would likely be something like Pokemon level stuff, or something like it. Now, that doesn't mean Planeswalkers need to be busted, of course. Still though, mistakes are mistakes. Pushing to sell product is marketing. Problem is, of course, when you make a mistake pushing, it's bad marketing.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Wow, I didn't know you guys read me with such tone. I wasn't being sarcastic about liking Stasis. It's some of the most art for art the game has. It's great. I mean, most other art was just illustrative there wasn't much difficulty in composition. Need art for Lightning Bolt? Draw a picture of a lightning bolt. Need art for Serra Angel? Draw a picture of an angel holding a sword. Direction is easy when the subject is nounal.

It seemed perfect for abstract art to be paired with abstract concepts. Double so for a children's card game. After all, how do you convey the idea of flight? I mean sure, you could just draw a zebra in the sky. But is that what flight is?
    Still even then, opportunities to even demonstrate are all gone, card names are just snippets of a larger passage that is also the art direction. Like some bizzaro word-of-the-day calendar.

"Syr Damon looked at the dragon and saw the faces of every innocent it had devoured. Suddenly, his sword blazed like the sun. For he knew in himself he had RIGHTEOUSNESS"

"Remember all the great heroes who were careful and never did anything risky? Me neither. That's why I live for the THRILL OF POSSIBILITY"

"At least up here I have some peace and quiet. What with being TRAPPED IN THE TOWER and all"

The art all seems uninspired because you can't be inspired when you're basically doing children's learn to read illustrations. Which is a shame really, because at then end of it all, the art doesn't even matter. Getting bent over the most superfluous part of the game only serves to expose one's level on whatever Maslow analog this is. I say fuck it, make the art nonsense, mix abstract with photorealistic, because at the end of the day this is just as valid a game piece as whatever the nicest Guru/APAC/Euro land you can think of.

And so with that in mind, I enjoy Stasis
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Thread Information