Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Demise of magic

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Re: Demise of magic

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    It’s not my article, it merely reiterates the points I made.
    Absolutely. I tried to show that you were quoting someone else; sorry if I wasn't clear.

When keeping up with the game feels like a day job, there is simply too much of a good thing. If you combine that with power creep that means every 1 or 2 sets the entire make up of the game changes completely. The fact that so many cards enter formats like legacy and vintage and the fact that modern is dominated by modern horizons cards is very telling. Urza, emry, wrenn and six, astrolabe, coatl, etc etc. War of the spark and Eldraine have also been transformative: oko, karn, teferi, narset, once upon a time, brazen borrower.
    That's a fair point. I just prefer it this way to the alternative. The fact that so many brews are putting up results is interesting to me, and I greatly prefer to see stuff that's a surprise over Neapolitan Delver or 50 Flavors of Chalice on 1.

I’ll nuance my comments: mtg isn’t dying, it is changing, and so will the players’ relationship to the game. I expect people to skip sets entirely and become much more selective in their engagement with the game, while others’ will become increasingly time trapped by overengaging with an endless stream of new product.
    I'm admittedly too poor for Legacy (though that hasn't stopped me), and I'm interested in seeing whether this happens, too. These days I only purchase singles or, once in a while, split boxes for Sealed with friends. [EDIT: The only reason I actually do the latter is because the new sets have been exciting and worth sifting through.]

I have a somewhat tangential take on the power of new cards. Something that's bothered me for a while about Wizards's approach to the customer is that they've trumpeted the importance of inclusivity in the lore and in their "outreach" strategy (such as it is), but ultimately, competitive constructed Magic requires people to invest a lot of money in singles purchased from third parties—meaning that to do well in an event, you're required to have a high income, and Wizards isn't interested in challenging or ameliorating that because "What secondary market?". Feels hypocritical: it's like they're working really hard to include people of every stripe as long as those people aren't middle-to-lower income. I'm curious as to whether an uptick in the number of powerful cards people can actually expect to pull out of packs (N.B.: a number of the cards you listed are uncommons, as is Veil of Summer) might result in an easier path into non-rotating formats for people who don't own a hedge fund.

And before I get blasted with a "Well, just make more money!" or a "You must be prejudiced!" I've said before that I'm glad the community is getting more inclusive and I definitely don't want that reversed. I also feel I should mention that people have to have fun somehow, and shicka-shicka cardboard is a lot more constructive than any number of hobbies within reach of idle hands.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Re: Demise of magic

I think the changes in set design and power level are more about Wizards finally just saying "fuck it" to the secondary markets and eternal formats and embracing the churn. Arena is really the key to it all I think. The entry point is so low, and Bo1 is such a different format.. they've just had a very large change in revenue and retention models, and the old-timers (like us) are having mixed reactions to it.

Thread Information