Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Demise of magic

Jul 2018
    Gothenburg

Re: Demise of magic

Hyperbole thread is hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    To win Standard SCGs, just play 4 maindeck Noxious Grasp.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...-walkers#paper

Even in Brainstorm.format, we don't maindeck 4 Red Elemental Blast (excluding Painter decks).
    This is pretty funny:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tourname...-weekend#paper

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

I was at a small 1K Legacy event this weekend, and if anything the scene seems to be growing, not only for Legacy but magic as a whole. There is a fairly big contingent of people who want to immediately play Pioneer at FNM as well as a dedicated Modern/Legacy playgroup. I do however feel like WOTC is creating their own demons with the disparity of power level that has happened recently. Massively impactful sets are coming at a breakneck pace, from Modern Horizons, War of the Spark, and now Eldraine. It's a little bit mentally exhausting to keep up, honestly.

I like the energy that is being pushed into magic, but it also feels like it's becoming much more high-maintenance. Modern and Legacy don't offer stability nearly as much as they used to, they are changing almost as often as Standard.

Magic isn't dying, if anything it's having a growth spurt that is creating awkward social situations.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    I think Legacy in local areas is doing great, but the coverage has pretty much disappeared in the professional circuit. By nature of its stagnance/slowness, legacy is insulated to a large degree from the problems felt throughout other formats and media.
    Legacy is, if anything, receiving more coverage due to Team Constructed events filling the void where Opens were alternating between formats. Local events are the same as they’ve always really been. Legacy doesn’t have as many players as Modern or Standard - and that’s okay.

I think the format is in a terrific spot. Honestly, I think people are seeing stability and great success with decks using basic land mana bases and seeing that they can afford them now which brings them in based on overall entry cost reduction.

Especially thanks to Vista and Astrolabe.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Oh, it's been a while since we had one of these threads...

Too bad I can't dig up (was it CrashTest over at Salvation, years ago, maybe?) but this isn't some new sentiment.

Standard has sucked before and the game still exists.

Modern has sucked before and the game still exists.

Wizards has ramped up product releases before and the game still exists.

Now, is there a limit? I'm sure there is. We aren't at it. In fact, we aren't likely even close. What would indicate that we are, besides us old people shaking our fist at clouds over "back in my day" sentiments?
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Jun 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden

Nice to see someone finally bringing up that XYZ will kill magic, this has to be the first time someone has had these thoughts and made a take like that.

(Fondly remembering all the exact copies of this thread posted annually over the last 15 years :D ).

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Honestly, I think people are seeing stability and great success with decks using basic land mana bases and seeing that they can afford them now which brings them in based on overall entry cost reduction.

Especially thanks to Vista and Astrolabe.
    This is huge, 100% agree.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I was at a small 1K Legacy event this weekend, and if anything the scene seems to be growing, not only for Legacy but magic as a whole. There is a fairly big contingent of people who want to immediately play Pioneer at FNM as well as a dedicated Modern/Legacy playgroup. I do however feel like WOTC is creating their own demons with the disparity of power level that has happened recently. Massively impactful sets are coming at a breakneck pace, from Modern Horizons, War of the Spark, and now Eldraine. It's a little bit mentally exhausting to keep up, honestly.

I like the energy that is being pushed into magic, but it also feels like it's becoming much more high-maintenance. Modern and Legacy don't offer stability nearly as much as they used to, they are changing almost as often as Standard.

Magic isn't dying, if anything it's having a growth spurt that is creating awkward social situations.
    This is spot on. You verbalized what I mean with wallet fatigue and spoilers feeling like a chore.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by LarsLeif View Post
    Nice to see someone finally bringing up that XYZ will kill magic, this has to be the first time someone has had these thoughts and made a take like that.

(Fondly remembering all the exact copies of this thread posted annually over the last 15 years :D ).
    I’ve played the game since Legends. My first box of mtg was Fallen Empires and I survived throughout the Chronicles debacle. I have no reason to flag this if there wasn’t a problem with the game I love and grew up with. In fact, MTG has been 2/3rds of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Oh, it's been a while since we had one of these threads...

Too bad I can't dig up (was it CrashTest over at Salvation, years ago, maybe?) but this isn't some new sentiment.

Standard has sucked before and the game still exists.

Modern has sucked before and the game still exists.

Wizards has ramped up product releases before and the game still exists.

Now, is there a limit? I'm sure there is. We aren't at it. In fact, we aren't likely even close. What would indicate that we are, besides us old people shaking our fist at clouds over "back in my day" sentiments?
    When the whales can’t afford the game anymore, you know you have a problem.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

This is spot on. You verbalized what I mean with wallet fatigue and spoilers feeling like a chore.
    While I agree with you completely, it doesn't make me want to leave the game. I'm not sure how others feel about it, but I'm just going to adapt like I always have and keep playing Legacy/Modern. Pioneer looks like a dumpster of horse shit, but I have never been nostalgic for Standard other than for the Lorwyn/Morningtide era, which is completely left out.

To quote Tommy Boy: "You're either growing or you're dying, there ain't no middle ground." Magic is growing, and pushing harder for growth, because it knows it will just die if it doesn't. Rather than give up on my hobby I will continue to be involved at whatever level I can manage.
    Brainstorm Realist

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I’ve played the game since Legends. My first box of mtg was Fallen Empires and I survived throughout the Chronicles debacle. I have no reason to flag this if there wasn’t a problem with the game I love and grew up with. In fact, MTG has been 2/3rds of my life.
    I've played since Mirage, but I don't see how this is relevant. Things are different than they were. Of course, the whole world is different than it was.

Legacy will never be the same format it was when it was 1.5, will never be the same format it was pre-Innistrad, never be the format it was even last week.

There is nothing wrong with nostalgia, in-itself. But thinking the world should stay forever beholden to it is anachronistic. It's going to change, it already has and it will more.

What is the evidence of this?

And even so, even if we prove this is so, remember, we are not, here, the "typical" Magic player. If this process leads to higher sustained sales, because of higher overall segmented sales, for example, who are we to say "this is worse." Worse for us? Maybe. Worse for Magic? Only sales data will say.

But rest assured that if sales data is bad, things will change again. To be cliché, he only constant is change, right?

So you're 40 and unable to keep pace with the kids?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    So you're 40 and unable to keep pace with the kids?
    I resemble that comment! I just turned 40, and no way can I keep pace with the kids. But I love the game and I'll keep playing until I can't. I actually love trading and playing with younger players, giving them a leg up and supporting the next generation of Legacy players (not that I'm that great, I'm going senile at this point...)
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    I resemble that comment! I just turned 40, and no way can I keep pace with the kids. But I love the game and I'll keep playing until I can't. I actually love trading and playing with younger players, giving them a leg up and supporting the next generation of Legacy players (not that I'm that great, I'm going senile at this point...)
    Bruizar alt identified.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Bruizar alt identified.
    Call me Nega-bruizar, for short.
    Brainstorm Realist

I don't see this being the case.

Play the formats you care about and hope the game keeps growing in participation, however that looks. I am fortunate to play in a healthy Legacy scene, but outside of that, Pauper is always there, even if only at the casual level. I have a blast losing in both Legacy and Pauper and only pay attention to new product if it contains MB or SB tech for my decks.
    DDD / Death & Taxes

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by easysantiago View Post
    I don't see this being the case.

Play the formats you care about and hope the game keeps growing in participation, however that looks. I am fortunate to play in a healthy Legacy scene, but outside of that, Pauper is always there, even if only at the casual level. I have a blast losing in both Legacy and Pauper and only pay attention to new product if it contains MB or SB tech for my decks.
    I can tell you I was prized out of collecting foil playsets of sets, which was my thing for many years. I acquired some Wrenn & Six, and most of the hot cards of Modern Horizons, but War of the Spark was completely out of reach for me besides Narset/Karn/Teferi and a few others. €1000 each jpn alternate art Liliana Dreadhorde General into Mythic Edition into Collector's Boosters Boxes sure as hell priced me out of new product, and I normally spend a 4-figure number per set. Although I love Throne of Eldraine, I only cracked the prerelease boosters and my winnings there.

Make of that what you want.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Make of that what you want.
    I don't have the slightest idea of what should be made of that.

I don't see why the game would die because you can't afford playsets of foils. I don't see why the game would die because you feel "priced out" because one alternate art foil is worth a lot. I don't even see how that "prices you out." If you can't have the most expensive option then all options are invalid?

I used to buy full 4x sets of every new set. I don't any more. Things change. The game won't end because you don't feel that the prices of foil sets is "worth it" though. It seems hard to believe that you are the lynchpin of the game's success. Or even people who have/had similar buying habits.

Like I said, either this strategy "works" for Wizards and sells, or it doesn't and will be replaced, time will tell.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I don't have the slightest idea of what should be made of that.

I don't see why the game would die because you can't afford playsets of foils. I don't see why the game would die because you feel "priced out" because one alternate art foil is worth a lot. I don't even see how that "prices you out." If you can't have the most expensive option then all options are invalid?

I used to buy full 4x sets of every new set. I don't any more. Things change. The game won't end because you don't feel that the prices of foil sets is "worth it" though. It seems hard to believe that you are the lynchpin of the game's success. Or even people who have/had similar buying habits.

Like I said, either this strategy "works" for Wizards and sells, or it doesn't and will be replaced, time will tell.
    Mtg has lost me on new product, I figure most of those who visit this website hardly purchase new product anyway, sitting on old legacy staples exclusively, so there is little to no pain felt. Yes, i will go to eternal weekend and the local legacy meetups, but I am dedicating more of my time to other card games. It seems like entrenched magic players are completely blind to other games or any criticism at all, almost to the point of mtg being a religion. Except, the church has been corrupted and the things that made magic great have largely disappeared. Mark Rosewater is a stellar designer and is imo one of the few saving graces of mtg. Were maro to suddenly leave, the company would be in a similar situation as with Apple and tbe Steve+Jony combo. Yes, apple still makes products that sell well, but the splendor and aura of quality is long gone.

Magic is dying again eh? It's been dying at least 20 of its 25 years if you listen to some people.

Thread Information