Thread: Which deck!! please help

Which deck!! please help

After 20y of mtg this is one of first time when i dont have clue which deck should i build. Problem is huge for me because last time i was playing Miracle and i need now decide...Put money to build Jeskai Mentor or BANT Blade.
    i played 20-30 games with Jeskai Mentor and its ok. But when i am reading Bant list, i have warm stomach hehe. Please help me decide with resonable arguments, why? i will really be glad for all your input here.

JESKAI MENTOR:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...or-93535#paper

or

BANT BLADE:
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...g-106196#paper

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Re: Which deck!! please help

Jeskai Mentor looks quite boring to me while Bant Blade looks fun. The Mentor deck has no bad cards in it and probably better overall matchups, while the bant deck is very proactive in playing threats.. So choose between fun or consistent and long-term value here I think.... Which is basically what you concluded. I go with fun every day of the week.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Ark4n11 was recently playing a similar sort of Bant deck. I'd say go watch those videos maybe and see if that is something you'd like.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by pettdan View Post
    Jeskai Mentor looks quite boring to me while Bant Blade looks fun. The Mentor deck has no bad cards in it and probably better overall matchups, while the bant deck is very proactive in playing threats.. So choose between fun or consistent and long-term value here I think.... Which is basically what you concluded. I go with fun every day of the week.
    thats true, Jeskai is solid. the only one wall is hmm...solid xD block opponent max lv and cast wincon, kinda boring when bant has multibple way to win. but in other hand can be hard to win against combo decks. less control spells and we r not a combo. im just worried a bit about that aspect.

@H
    i will check it right now, thanks

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by HardBrain View Post
    but in other hand can be hard to win against combo decks. less control spells and we r not a combo. im just worried a bit about that aspect.
    On that topic, I was surprised to see the sideboard of that list, I think you should be able to focus more on beating combo in the sideboard. Mixing permanent based interaction, more of it, with counterspells and probably more than one Veil, not sure, should be pretty strong.

Hi All!!

after many SelfBrainstorm, i put all Cards printed on table and ....what do u think>?

3 Monastery Mentor
    4 Noble Hierarch
    3 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis

2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Ponder
    1 Council's Judgment

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    3 Wasteland

// 15 Sideboard
    SB: 1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    SB: 1 Containment Priest
    SB: 1 Rest in Peace
    SB: 2 Back to Basics
    SB: 1 Deafening Silence
    SB: 1 surgical extraction
    SB: 2 Veil of Summer
    SB: 1 Hydroblast
    SB: 1 Blue Elemental Blast
    SB: 1 Celestial Purge
    SB: 2 Return to Nature
    SB: 1 Council's Judgment

For me it looks in good shape. i am really curious your 5cents

Sep 2011

So you took Bant Blade and went:
    -4 Goyf
    -1 SFM
    -1 Reclamation
    -1 Savannah

+3 Mentor
    +2 Force of Negation
    +1 Council's Judgment
    +2 Spell Pierce

I think you have 61 cards.

Losing Savannah also makes your manabase weaker. That's 2 4s and a 11-13 3s in a 19-land manabase with 3 Wasteland. You raised the curve and cut a land. At the very least, I'd go back to 60 cards and 20 lands (-2 Force of Negation +1 Savannah).

Aside from that, you've taken proactive Goyf and replaced it with grindy Mentor. Mentor gets worse when you're topdecking random Noble Hierarchs, but you do still have a lot of noncreature spells. Maybe Mentor could work. But your curve looks bad. You cut 5 proactive 2-drops (Goyf & SFM) for slower cards (Mentor, Council's Judgment, counters). You need some more 2s.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Losing Savannah also makes your manabase weaker. That's 2 4s and a 11-13 3s in a 19-land manabase with 3 Wasteland. You raised the curve and cut a land. At the very least, I'd go back to 60 cards and 20 lands (-2 Force of Negation +1 Savannah).

Aside from that, you've taken proactive Goyf and replaced it with grindy Mentor. Mentor gets worse when you're topdecking random Noble Hierarchs, but you do still have a lot of noncreature spells. Maybe Mentor could work. But your curve looks bad. You cut 5 proactive 2-drops (Goyf & SFM) for slower cards (Mentor, Council's Judgment, counters). You need some more 2s.
    I think I'd mostly agree that the list is a bit high on three drop, although the notion of Oko plus Mentor is a bit funny/cool.

I think Maybe -1 Teferi, -1 Mentor and +2 Goyf seems reasonable, although FTW might be right and you might want 20 lands there still.

Thanks for your comments.

Ok mentor can be a too much and greedy.
    1. I dont like goyfs and i dobt believe on them tbh
    2. I thought about couple of ways
    - delver
    - Nimble mangoose
    - mandrils Ape
    - SnowSnake with flash and draw
    - or just 4 sfm 4hierarch 3 tnn because i saw others BladeDeck has only 4sfm 3nemesis and f.e. 3 snapcasters and thats enough. Here we still have oko to produce 3/3 BladeHolder. Maybe thats a goldenBalance. And rest cards put into spells to prevent us.
    Daze/Stifle/FoN/Preordain etc

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    although the notion of Oko plus Mentor is a bit funny/cool.
    What's the Oko + Mentor interaction? Turn Monks into 3/3s without Prowess? -5 to exchange Monks with Goyfs instead of giving up Food?

What's the Oko + Mentor interaction? Turn Monks into 3/3s without Prowess? -5 to exchange Monks with Goyfs instead of giving up Food?
    Yes.

I have test yeasterday only with 4sfm 4hierarch Nd 3 tnn and it works good. After many bolts from opponent i just put 3/3 food from oko and kil him with jitta xD

Sep 2011

I have test yeasterday only with 4sfm 4hierarch Nd 3 tnn and it works good. After many bolts from opponent i just put 3/3 food from oko and kil him with jitta xD

That sounds stronger then the OP list. You really want the 4th SFM for consistency. If you're short on creatures Oko can make them.

That sounds stronger then the OP list. You really want the 4th SFM for consistency. If you're short on creatures Oko can make them.

4 Noble Hierarch
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    3 True-Name Nemesis

2 Oko, Thief of Crowns
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    1 Jace, the Mind Sculptor

1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sylvan Library

4 Brainstorm
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Force of Negation
    4 Force of Will
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Ponder
    1 Council's Judgment

4 Flooded Strand
    4 Prismatic Vista
    2 Misty Rainforest
    1 Tundra
    1 Tropical Island
    1 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    3 Wasteland
    1 Savannah

SB
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Containment Priest
    1 Rest in Peace
    2 Back to Basics
    1 Deafening Silence
    2 Veil of Summer
    1 Hydroblast
    1 Blue Elemental Blast
    1 Celestial Purge
    2 Return to Nature
    1 Surgical Extraction
    1 Council's Judgment

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I like this idea. Oko can turn Mystic into a 3/3, which is less useless than a Squire.

Also, active Mystic, Batterskull and Oko and a 5 mana could make a 3/3 (former Germ) Elk every turn. I'm not quite sure how the game would be in that state and you not having won yet, but it's at least theoretically possible (maybe vs D&T where they have Batterskull "blocked" by Crusader, Mother/Giver, or vs something where they have a True-Name "wall" up).

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    I like this idea. Oko can turn Mystic into a 3/3, which is less useless than a Squire.

Also, active Mystic, Batterskull and Oko and a 5 mana could make a 3/3 (former Germ) Elk every turn. I'm not quite sure how the game would be in that state and you not having won yet, but it's at least theoretically possible (maybe vs D&T where they have Batterskull "blocked" by Crusader, Mother/Giver, or vs something where they have a True-Name "wall" up).
    Dont forget that we have Jitta to -1-1 his mother xD etc

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Dont forget that we have Jitta to -1-1 his mother xD etc
    Well, yeah, but one, that is predicated that you hit with the Jitte (not a given, if they have action Mom), two, that Jitte is active (it's common to Revoke it, if they don't have their own Jitte), or three, Jitte got destroyed somehow.

I mean, it is mostly just a corner case, but I'm just saying it is something that could hypothetically be done in some weird, unlikely, but still plausible, game state.

WHOA!

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/505959139

You can see my stream withh bant after 2 leagues 3:2 i build this version and i went
    3x 2:0
    1x 2:1
    and i hadd to go before 5th match.

Edit:
    5:0!
    Second Movie added to profile ;)
    in Polish but if U want i can try stream in english but i dont know which hour is good for more of U friends ;)

10 min Starrtingg Soon
    affter that fast introduction and walk around deckk...and 4 matches, UW Bllade, Delvers and SemiMirror

Please add your 5 cent...have nice movie

You can follow/ i will stream more
    Last edited by HardBrain; 11-09-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Thread Information