Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 41011121314

Thread: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    This secretly looks like a better Darkblast, because it doesn't eat your draw step (instead it eats 2 extra mana and 2 cards).

I've heard the same from others, but I really don't think it's better than Darkblast. Mana efficiency aside, giving up a draw step in order to draw *the exact card you need* is perfectly reasonable. Couple that with the fact that it is always at sorcery speed and you have a bust, IMHO. It has offensive implications and can boost your Tarmogoyfs by +1/+1 by being in the graveyard, but I don't think it's anywhere near as good as Darkblast. With peripheral graveyard usage in a bunch of decks, dredge 2 can actually help. The one deck I can think of that was using it for a while was UB Shadow, which likes the extra 2 cards to feed Gurmags.

A better comparison would be Liliana, the Last Hope for that kind of mana investment. We all know which card is better in that situation.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Pretty much - my own list was:

Playable

Underworld Breach (Brainfreeze LED combo is much better than you think and even if it doesn't become its own deck this is frightfully good)
    Thassa's Oracle (a better lab maniac)
    Fate Weaver (enchantment creature that makes your creatures and enchantments uncountarable seems good in enchantment)

Fringe

Deathbellow War Cry (a one mana cheaper "dragonstorm" - just needs 5-6 "dead cards" in library)
    Kloyths (a more expensive DRS with timing restrictions but is harder to remove and may provide end game beats)
    Kunoros (hate card for deadguy ale)
    Heliod (Combo with ballista in some eskimo builds)
    Tectonic Giant (red eldrazi or Dragon Stompy might want it)
    Siona (combos with Shielded by Faith which this card looks for anyway, is GSZable)
    Shadowspear (seems like a decent SB SFM target)
    Soul-guide Lantern (more graveyard hate)
    Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
    Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    While I don't fully agree that certain cards are only fringe playable (e.g. Heliod/Ballista combo looking good), those are most of the cards that come into mind for me as well.

Uro might be able to do silly things in Nic Fit, especially if you run Greater Good it it. Gain 3 life, draw 6+1 cards + Explore sounds like a brutal engine, especially as the discard fuels towards the next Escape. Main disadvantage is that you would run Greater Good, but with GSZ It's easy pick up Uro for one half of the combo. If you can't win with that kind of engine, you never stood a chance anyway in that game.

Darkblast is an instant, cheaper, hits power, and can double it's effect.
    This is an enchantment without flash, 2 more mana on the re-cast, ADDS power, and there's no tricks to using it.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Darkblast is an instant, cheaper, hits power, and can double it's effect.
    This is an enchantment without flash, 2 more mana on the re-cast, ADDS power, and there's no tricks to using it.
    I think this card is very good but the problem is that it doesn't really have a home

You need to skip your draw step to put Darkblast in your hand, so it's not card advantage if you're killing something with it. This is a very significant upside to the aura version.
    The main upside of Darkblast is that (1) repeated uses don't cost more than 1 mana per use (2) fills your grave instead of eating it (3) flash

I can definitely see a format/deck where these downsides don't matter much compared to the card advantage but the main problem is that this effect is just eclipsed by Plague Engineer for most applications (or Lili Last Hope). Darkblast doesn't really see any play at the moment either

May 2015
    PDX

Darkblast is far better with Entomb, and milling over cards like Grisel is a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Darkblast is far better with Entomb, and milling over cards like Grisel is a bonus.
    Yeah but you're never going to play Darkblast in reanimator either so that's a moot point anyway

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Yeah but you're never going to play Darkblast in reanimator either so that's a moot point anyway
    Not in B/R, but it‘s a fine card in UBx given the combo with Brainstorm-lock clearing and flipping JVP. Thing is, no one is playing Darkblast; not even the Entomb decks (which is the natural home). Those Entomb decks aren‘t going to move to Mogis‘s Favor b/c it‘s a worse Entomb card...also it‘s sorcery speed, and you can‘t get it into hand on demand with Grisel to knock out Ice-Fang. Darkblast can also kill an x/2.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Not in B/R, but it‘s a fine card in UBx given the combo with Brainstorm-lock clearing and flipping JVP. Thing is, no one is playing Darkblast; not even the Entomb decks (which is the natural home). Those Entomb decks aren‘t going to move to Mogis‘s Favor b/c it‘s a worse Entomb card...also it‘s sorcery speed, and you can‘t get it into hand on demand with Grisel to knock out Ice-Fang. Darkblast can also kill an x/2.
    I think it is a worthy removal spell voor Enchantress. They play black for Doomwake Giant, so a recurring removal spell that draws cards with argothian enchantress in a deck that makes plenty of mana through sanctum and utopia sprawls seems pretty good. You can take out Delver, Pyromancer or blank a Dreadhorde Arcanist.. It's better than Engineered Plague because you want to be replaying it in this deck trigger more draws, and it is useful against x/1's beyond a single tribe.

I think it is a worthy removal spell voor Enchantress. They play black for Doomwake Giant, so a recurring removal spell that draws cards with argothian enchantress in a deck that makes plenty of mana through sanctum and utopia sprawls seems pretty good. You can take out Delver, Pyromancer or blank a Dreadhorde Arcanist.. It's better than Engineered Plague because you want to be replaying it in this deck trigger more draws, and it is useful against x/1's beyond a single tribe.
    That's a cool idea, quite hard to generate escape food though in your deck that's all permanents

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Yes please "blank" my Dreadhorde Arcanist
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

bruizar

This one's also a very notable card since it's a color pie violation

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

MaRo wrote a bunch about this when Mire In Misery came out, it's a new space for Black. Red is the "can't deal with Enchantments" color and Black is the "can't deal with Artifacts" color now.

Found the article: http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post...s-is-the-black
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

It's one Mana too much, unfortunate

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Probably Ixalan and Phyrexia, remember that bubbling ooze on the Ixalan card art and flavor text?
    Elspeth and Ashiok go to new phyrexia. Ashiok is already converted killed in a moment of weakness when finding something even they are scared of.
    Elspeth fights against phyrexians like she promised alongside Karn, with Calix perusing the whole time.
    In the climax of the final fight, Calix understands free will and pulls an interplaner Javert into the furnace layer.
    Well that's the fan fiction, anyways.
    Reality is probably some big buildup "Secret Invasion" planechase either multiplayer summer or mainset.
    OH! A MTG deckbuilder game...

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

I just played against Dredge with the ox and it seems *nutty*. This is what I saw on turn 1.

So powerful it literally broke the table.

bruizar

was he dread returned or escaped? I see the escape counter on it but I don't understand how you generated the red mana. Land Faithless Looting LED or something?

Site Contributor
    May 2013
    Virginia

was he dread returned or escaped? I see the escape counter on it but I don't understand how you generated the red mana. Land Faithless Looting LED or something?
    Mull to 6
    Double LED, City of Brass
    Cast Breakthrough for 0 and crack LED
    Discard 2 Lootings, 2 Oxen, Imp, land
    Dredge into Narc and other stuff
    Cast Ox with LED mana
    With Ox trigger, dredge into a bunch more shit
    Cast another Ox after cracking the other LED
    Go nutty with more Ox draws, Narcs, Bridges, and Therapies
    The one Dread Return I saw in the GY wasn't cast
    Keep casting Hogaak with Zombies until your first turn has 2 Oxen, 3 Narcs, Gaak, 9 Zombies, 6 dredges from Oxen alone, and 3 cards in your deck

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Mull to 6
    Double LED, City of Brass
    Cast Breakthrough for 0 and crack LED
    Discard 2 Lootings, 2 Oxen, Imp, land
    Dredge into Narc and other stuff
    Cast Ox with LED mana
    With Ox trigger, dredge into a bunch more shit
    Cast another Ox after cracking the other LED
    Go nutty with more Ox draws, Narcs, Bridges, and Therapies
    The one Dread Return I saw in the GY wasn't cast
    Keep casting Hogaak with Zombies until your first turn has 2 Oxen, 3 Narcs, Gaak, 9 Zombies, 6 dredges from Oxen alone, and 3 cards in your deck
    See, that's the play sequence you run the black Force from Modern Horizons for.

Thread Information