Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    The last text block on Haktos can‘t work b/c it specifies needing a chosen entity. If the choosing portion is undermined, you can replace every instance of “chosen“ with “Fizzled“
    You edited this bit in after I posted, but sure. Ok:
    "Haktos has protection from each converted mana cost other than ~Fizzled~"
    As I said before, it's the exception that is dependant on the choice, not the all-around protection. Therefore Haktos has protection from everything, because every spell will have a defined converted mana cost.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    You edited this bit in after I posted, but sure. Ok:
    "Haktos has protection from each converted mana cost other than ~Fizzled~"
    As I said before, it's the exception that is dependant on the choice, not the all-around protection. Therefore Haktos has protection from everything, because every spell will have a defined converted mana cost.
    The problem is that when you disagree with the Rules Manager, the Rules Manager wins because he makes the rules.

The same happened with Mairsil and that was that.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Humorously with Mairsil:
    "If Mairsil has an equip ability, activating it won’t cause anything to happen. Mairsil doesn’t become attached to a creature. They may remain friends."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

The problem is that when you disagree with the Rules Manager, the Rules Manager wins because he makes the rules.

Unless he changes the rules or shoves it into the Oracle I don't really care what wrong opinions he posts on Twitter.
    Edit: It's not even the only time he was wrong in the twitter thread: https://twitter.com/EliShffrn/status...54198092574721
    When was "previously?" because Illusionary Mask has worked the way it does for a long time now.

May 2015
    PDX

When was "previously?" because Illusionary Mask has worked the way it does for a long time now.
    Mask originally did not cast cards. I imagine the banned period was between Standstill and Aether Vial.

Looks like Vial is a 2005 card, and rules update to Mask in 2009 (from Gatherer). It became increasingly impossible to justify continued ban after Vial explicitly avoided casting at far lower mana cost.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    What else is there to build a deck around?

Demonic Pact.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    Demonic Pact.
    Going through gatherer I also found these:

There's not a lot of flash / self-sacrificing enchantments to fuel unfortunately. The Harpy won't be competitive soon, but it will be on my watch list. I'll keep an eye out on enchantments and enchantment creatures that synergize with it after a few more Theros revisits.

You can go Turn 1 seal of fire and you are already ready for your turn 2 zombie.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

May 2015
    PDX

Aphemia is fine by itself, but hardly powerful enough to justify a build-around. This is a card that results in a deck that dies to Goyf; and every card suggested in the build-around thus far plays even harder into dying to Goyf.

Among the better payoffs for Aphemia is spamming a playset of Search for Azcanta, which notably auto-kills itself (legend rule) and can mill into value generation, the ultimate endpoint being vindication of an enemy Wasteland (putting an enchantment in your yard). The legend+enchantment supertypes on a playable effect is going to be the best place to start looking for synergy. Not that Oath of Nissa is going to result in a competitive deck, but you‘d at least have Oko to cover for Aphemia‘s sub-par power level.

Standstill is another card that would do fine with Aphemia, but you can‘t really get past the whole dies to Goyf issue + sorcery speed (can‘t hold up Drown in the Loch). Aphemia must be directly compared to Blacklance Paragon here (and while better than Aphemia, it‘s not yet proven itself to be good enough for a UBstill shell due to lack of pilots).

Another card to list off would be Cast Out as the only playable enchantment with cycling; but BW is a pretty dubious starting point for a 2/1 in legacy.

Once upon a time I tried to use Auratog and the ordeals from the original theros. Hatching plans too. This card would have fit right in there, but an extra 2/2 a turn isn't really the big payoff

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Bequeathal seems good.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    Bequeathal seems good.
    Feeds into problem of dying before you ‘do the thing‘ - even less room for controlling elements as you‘re driving up creature totals (anti-combo with Aphemia) to locally enchant. Better one drops would be maindeck Mystic Remora with sideboard Mind Harness.

Sep 2011

Yeah, he is basically a "augmented" TNN. It's hard to say how good that is at 4 mana though, because dodging Decay is nice, but at which isn't the easiest cost to pay.
    Is there a deck that makes a lot of mana and runs that Manifesting scepter? Maybe Landstill wants it as a 6/1 Progenitus it can cast under Standstill.

Edit: Never mind, read the citations.

Even without the Manifest combo, it dodges most Legacy removal (Bolt, StP, Push, Decay) because 1 cmc can never target it. So it doesn't die to removal, can't be blocked by tokens or 1 drops, and 67% chance their 2 drops can't block either. But it costs 4 mana...

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Is there a deck that makes a lot of mana and runs that Manifesting scepter? Maybe Landstill wants it as a 6/1 Progenitus it can cast under Standstill.

Even without the Manifest combo, it dodges most Legacy removal (Bolt, StP, Push, Decay) because 1 cmc can never target it. So it doesn't die to removal, can't be blocked by tokens or 1 drops, and 67% chance their 2 drops can't block either. But it costs 4 mana...
    Well, as was discussed before, there is no "Manifest combo" because the Rules Manager has ruled that if no number is selected, then he has protection from nothing at all.

Now, the card itself? I don't know. I can imagine it's not a "bad" Ball Lightning, but like I said, 4 CMC, a tough colored cost, it's hard to say how widely that could be played.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Well, as was discussed before, there is no "Manifest combo" because the Rules Manager has ruled that if no number is selected, then he has protection from nothing at all.

Now, the card itself? I don't know. I can imagine it's not a "bad" Ball Lightning, but like I said, 4 CMC, a tough colored cost, it's hard to say how widely that could be played.
    Mana cost is probably too colored for Legacy and there is no Tier 1 / 2 in these colors...

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post

Edit: Never mind, read the citations.
    UWr is a fairly poor color combo for Landstill, and one that couldn‘t really ever get to double red mana (and they can‘t really afford to run Wasteland, which generates significant problems vs any deck that has Stage). It‘s also another x/1 human that rewards opponents for playing Plague Engineer.

Even if it did work with the manifest mechanic, it still costs 4 to flip it so you‘re not saving yourself any mana. Meanwhile, you have to justify playing this slow card on top of Scroll of Fate and somehow not playing Dreadnought. If anyone would run Haktos, they‘d likely have to be a shields-down creature-feature deck with Cavern/Vial and get this guy into play face-up. Any deck like this would have Sanctum Prelate anyhow, so missing one cmc isn‘t much of a problem (just hope the missing number isn‘t 3 and opponent has a TNN or 2 and opponent has Strix/Coatl).

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Another THB card that is a 2 card combo . . this time with Shielded by Faith. Plus here is that it searches up the other half of the combo by itself. It is also GSZable. . .

A potential fun draft-list would be:

20 Lands
    4 KOTR Land Targets

4 KOTR
    4 Siona
    4 GSZ Targets
    8 Mana Dorks
    4 GSZ

4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Tutor Targets
    4 Shielded by Faith
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Dryad of Ilysian Grove 2G
    Enchantment Creature - Nymph

You may play an additional land on each of your turns.

Lands you control have all basic land types in addition to other types.

2/4

Seems more usable than the Dinosaur who also explores. Are there any decks where the basic type stuff is relevant? Seems pretty good with Glacial Chasm + Loam for continued replaying each turn while Chasm can also create mana. But maybe that's just too cute.

May 2015
    PDX

It's all colors of mana being fixed as well @Barook

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post

Another THB card that is a 2 card combo . . this time with Shielded by Faith. Plus here is that it searches up the other half of the combo by itself. It is also GSZable. . .

A potential fun draft-list would be:

20 Lands
    4 KOTR Land Targets

4 KOTR
    4 Siona
    4 GSZ Targets
    8 Mana Dorks
    4 GSZ

4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Tutor Targets
    4 Shielded by Faith
    Bonus point if you go Naia and combine it with Storm herald + Eldrazi conscription :)

Thread Information