Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by Amorfous View Post
    Question to the people in this thread: Can these older formats survive another 2019 in terms of card power level and upheaval of set archetypes? This spoiler season is hitting us hard and fast, we already have a Yawg Will in red and an infinite combo with Heliod and Walking Ballista, and the 3 mana Klothys. If this is any indication, we're in for another can of whup ass.
    As long as there are credit cards and people willing to spend their money on cardboard, it will continue.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Amorfous View Post
    Question to the people in this thread: Can these older formats survive another 2019 in terms of card power level and upheaval of set archetypes? This spoiler season is hitting us hard and fast, we already have a Yawg Will in red and an infinite combo with Heliod and Walking Ballista, and the 3 mana Klothys. If this is any indication, we're in for another can of whup ass.
    It was already stated that this is the new powerlevel. Expect a lot of cards to be pushed out of the format.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

I don't think getting more powerful cards is a bad thing, since Legacy would get stale otherwise. At least as long as they weed out the bullshit cards in a reasonable time frame like W&6.

Edit: I wonder if a Soul Sisters variant could become viable in Legacy with the new Heliod/Ballista combo. E-Tutor could search for either combo piece, if necessary.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

https://www.hareruyamtg.com/en/deck/...er=&eventName=

only 3 decks, but still better than nothing. i'm sure it's good enough to jam at a weekly.
    -rob

bruizar

I like this card a lot:

[Arista the Endless Nest]
    Legendary Enchantment Creature — Spider
    Reach
    Whenever an opponent casts an instant or sorcery spell, create a 1/2 green Spider creature token with reach.
    3/5

Also Preeminent Captain gets a new toy in the yanky deck department

Mar 2007

Color me unimpressed. Arasta relies on the opponent to spam spider tokens. If OP plays a removal spell (and there are plenty for both creatures and enchantments), you've spent for a free 1/2 reach token.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Color me unimpressed. Arasta relies on the opponent to spam spider tokens. If OP plays a removal spell (and there are plenty for both creatures and enchantments), you've spent for a free 1/2 reach token.
    The way I see it, it survives bolt and produces better creatures than young pyromancer, which can also kill/block delvers. This would be for a sylvan plug style deck against (UR)Delver decks. The tokens also survive Arcanist and trade with Pyromancer.

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    The way I see it, it survives bolt and produces better creatures than young pyromancer, which can also kill/block delvers. This would be for a sylvan plug style deck against (UR)Delver decks. The tokens also survive Arcanist and trade with Pyromancer.
    It would be better, with four Mana, to just win the game

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Speaking of 4 mana :

Tectonic Giant 2RR
    Creature - Elemental Giant
    Whenever Tectonic Giant attacks or becomes the target of a spell an opponent controls, choose one—
    • Tectonic Giant deals 3 damage to each opponent.
    • Exile the top two cards of your library. Choose one of them. Until the end of your next turn, you may play that card.
    3/4

Is Dragon Stompy still a thing? Seems they would like a 4 mana 6/4 that provides damage/CA if opponent targets it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Tectonic Giant probably finds a slot in Red Eldrazi. The deck already runs Anje's Ravager, and Giant is likely better.

Mar 2007

Polukranos died?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Polukranos died?
    From the MTG Wiki - looks like Elspeth killed it

Horse fish

There's gotta be something you can do here, GG2 for Vesuva/Stage or Depths, etc.

Polukranos died?
    Elspeth, aka lady Heracles, slew the hydra. Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post

There's gotta be something you can do here, GG2 for Vesuva/Stage or Depths, etc.
    Maybe just get all the Cloudposts. Or Cabal Coffers/Urborg. Cradle, Nykthos...

Problem is you just play setup for even bigger turns, nice value for Gitrog EDH but way slower than Crop Rotation.
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Smuggo View Post

Horse fish
    Don't see the image so reposting:

Treacherous Blessing got officially spoiled.

Man, I am fired up about playing a GWB deck with stuff like that, Birth of Meletis, Doom Foretold, and Setessan Champion. Probably throw in an Island or two and some Dance's just to reset the whole mess when needed.

Nylea's Intervention is an awesome card, but I don't know that it'll do much in Legacy given how it's a whole turn for just setup and how fast the format is overall. Seems more like a Pioneer power card. Even Modern is probably too quick with all the Astrolabe powered Tempo decks there now.

bruizar

What else is there to build a deck around?

Turn 1: Dead Weight a creature
    Turn 2: Cacophony, exile dead weight make a zombie
    Turn 3: Sarcomancy make a zombie, Perilous Research, draw 2 cards, attack for 4, exile Sarcomancy make another zombie
    Turn 4: Attack for 8

Not too powerful, I guess Sarcomancy and Perilous Research are too weak, but Cacophony looks like a really good Young Pyromancer that lacks the enchantments to fuel it.

May 2015
    PDX

Cool legendary interaction with Aphemia by itself. Decent chance of no negative interaction by opponent with end step trigger. Probably the better Tempest card would be Intuition (but rather anemic use of mana showing 3x Aphemia versus something like Phoenix).

Similar to a card like Blacklance Paragon, Aphemia likely becomes weaker in a tribal themed deck.

Thread Information