Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Re: Theros: Beyond Death spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It's still an infinite loop, which involves two dies triggers.
    One would be enough for the painter.
    Yeah, I really ought to think more before typing.

That said, Cire's version already produces infinite creature tokens.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Yeah, I really ought to think more before typing.

That said, Cire's version already produces infinite creature tokens.
    Nah - just infinite mana and infinite ETB and Death triggers - you have to keep saccing the tokens to be able to cast Scourge
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Nah - just infinite mana and infinite ETB and Death triggers - you have to keep saccing the tokens to be able to cast Scourge
    Once you have infinite Mana you can lose some of it to not sac the tokens (net loss if one Mana per token)

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Once you have infinite Mana you can lose some of it to not sac the tokens (net loss if one Mana per token)
    lmao - i'm dumb and didn't understand my only combo . Lol thanks!

Everyone single token looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by itslarryyo View Post
    Everyone single token looks good.
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ath-2020-01-09
    lol, the link on that page refrences the card list for Throne, and there's a */1 with no ability to define the *.
    QC, wizards...

https://magic.wizards.com/en/article...ath-2020-01-09
    lol, the link on that page refrences the card list for Throne, and there's a */1 with no ability to define the *.
    QC, wizards...
    I can't see the reference to Eldraine in the text so I guess they corrected the article

Having a token with */* power and no PT-defining ability printed on the token is standard practice when the PT is set by the effect that created it
    e.g.

*/* Colourless Horror (Phyrexian Rebirth)
    */* Black Nightmare Horror (Chainer's Torment)
    */* Black Minion (Phyrexian Processor)

etc

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    I can't see the reference to Eldraine in the text so I guess they corrected the article

Having a token with */* power and no PT-defining ability printed on the token is standard practice when the PT is set by the effect that created it
    e.g.

*/* Colourless Horror (Phyrexian Rebirth)
    */* Black Nightmare Horror (Chainer's Torment)
    */* Black Minion (Phyrexian Processor)

etc

Really? I should pay more attention to the tokens but that seems silly. Rebirth doesn't make a */* token, for example.

Full Spoiler is up. Only thing that looked possibly relevant was a 3WW 3/3 flyer with devotion reduces costs by 1 each. Might have applications in DNT if they want just a body that has a high cmc for stuff like EE and whatnot.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

We also got the story - seems we're heading to New Phyrexia Again!(with Ashiok).

We also got the story - seems we're heading to New Phyrexia Again!(with Ashiok).
    Probably Ixalan and Phyrexia, remember that bubbling ooze on the Ixalan card art and flavor text?

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by morgan_coke View Post
    Probably Ixalan and Phyrexia, remember that bubbling ooze on the Ixalan card art and flavor text?
    Phylaksia (Phyrexia in greek writing) is referenced on some cards
    Elspeth's Shadowspear is covered in phyrexian oil
    There's a phyrexian obliterator with elspeth on one of the artwork

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

So, what do we have for legacy playables in here? I haven't seen anything earth-shattering.

Thassa's Oracle
    Underworld Breach
    Nyxbloom Ancient
    Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger
    Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath
    Soul-guide Lantern
    Shadowspear
    Kunoros, Hound of Athreos

Those are the only ones I could conceivably see being played, but are narrow. Did we get a reprieve from sets shaking up Legacy?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

So, what do we have for legacy playables in here? I haven't seen anything earth-shattering.

Thassa's Oracle
    Underworld Breach
    Nyxbloom Ancient
    Soul-guide Lantern
    Shadowspear

Those are the only ones I could conceivably see being played, but are narrow. Did we get a reprieve from sets shaking up Legacy?
    Does cling to dust fit for "narrow" applications? Only considering it because of the potential cantrip for non-creature targets (and obviously the benefit of escape although this one is pretty steep). I don't think it will be a Veil of Summer impact at all, but i'm not willing to write it off just yet.
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

So, what do we have for legacy playables in here?
    Pretty much - my own list was:

Playable

Underworld Breach (Brainfreeze LED combo is much better than you think and even if it doesn't become its own deck this is frightfully good)
    Thassa's Oracle (a better lab maniac)
    Fate Weaver (enchantment creature that makes your creatures and enchantments uncountarable seems good in enchantment)

Fringe

Deathbellow War Cry (a one mana cheaper "dragonstorm" - just needs 5-6 "dead cards" in library)
    Kloyths (a more expensive DRS with timing restrictions but is harder to remove and may provide end game beats)
    Kunoros (hate card for deadguy ale)
    Heliod (Combo with ballista in some eskimo builds)
    Tectonic Giant (red eldrazi or Dragon Stompy might want it)
    Siona (combos with Shielded by Faith which this card looks for anyway, is GSZable)
    Shadowspear (seems like a decent SB SFM target)
    Soul-guide Lantern (more graveyard hate)

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Pretty much - my own list was:

Playable

Underworld Breach (Brainfreeze LED combo is much better than you think and even if it doesn't become its own deck this is frightfully good)
    Thassa's Oracle (a better lab maniac)
    Fate Weaver (enchantment creature that makes your creatures and enchantments uncountarable seems good in enchantment)

Fringe

Deathbellow War Cry (a one mana cheaper "dragonstorm" - just needs 5-6 "dead cards" in library)
    Kloyths (a more expensive DRS with timing restrictions but is harder to remove and may provide end game beats)
    Kunoros (hate card for deadguy ale)
    Heliod (Combo with ballista in some eskimo builds)
    Tectonic Giant (red eldrazi or Dragon Stompy might want it)
    Siona (combos with Shielded by Faith which this card looks for anyway, is GSZable)
    Shadowspear (seems like a decent SB SFM target)
    Soul-guide Lantern (more graveyard hate)
    I forgot about War Cry, it could create a Minotaur Combo deck. Tectonic Giant has the unfortunate clause of only dealing damage to opponents and not creatures. I think there are much better options at 4 mana (Chandra ToD would get 4-shots before the first one of these was played.) Heliod might see some play, but it needs so much mana to pull off with Ballista, in a color that doesn't have good disruption. Shadowspear does a lot for such a minimal investment but still doesn't quite get there IMHO. Lifelink is obsolete given Jitte and BSkull doing that job better and trample would be good on something like Gurmag Angler. Being at 1 mana is the one thing making it potentially playable.

I may eat these words, but I think TBD will have minimal impact on Legacy.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

bruizar

Besides the cards you guys already mentioned, I see some fringe cards that deserve a mention:

--- good ---
    Klothys, God of Destiny I believe this is underestimated. It's a 4 point life swing every turn, DRS only gained 2 or dealt 2, but never did both without an activation cost. It's also impossible to get rid of except for Council's Judgment. It's like Sulfuric Vortex that made babies with a Deathrite Shaman, and is indestructible. I'm not even looking at it as a creature.
    Anax, Hardened in the Forge for dragon stompy. It triggers on itself, leaving 2 bodies behind, and triggers on Kroxa too. In Pioneer this will def. be a devotion card with Goblin Chainwhirler and Torbran, Thane of Red Fall and Bonecrusher Giant, but I think this is good enough for dragon stompy too (depends on the build ofcourse, dragon stompy is struggling because arcum's astrolabe killed blood moon and brazen borrower killed chalice of the void, so it needs an overhaul).
    --- medium ---
    Whirlwind Denial counters both the cast trigger and the creature (Like Ulamog or Hydroid Krasis in standard), as well as storm copies. Perhaps a 1-off in sideboards in the right meta.
    Elspeth, Sun's Nemesis 1-off in angel stompy. The inevitability is crazy on this one. 4CC cast ->-2, -2, 6CC -1 replay -2. Curves perfectly and lets you swarm the board even through a Terminus. Heck, maybe even as a resilient finisher in Miracles.
    --- fringe ---
    Elspeth's Nightmare Probably not, but I love it, it's just such good value in one card
    Elspeth Conquers Death This card looks like The Eldest Reborn. 5CC Oblivion Ring, Silence, Reanimate creature or PW. Decent as a sideboard slot against show and tell. Not a legacy card but wanted to point out The Eldest Reborn saw play and this one got zero mentions.

Foil Showcase basic land. They are beautiful

The cards I actually preordered:
    Soul-guide Lantern
    Klothys, God of Destiny
    Elspeth's Nightmare

Still need to buy Underworld Breach and Elspeth's, Sun's Nemesis
    Last edited by bruizar; 01-15-2020 at 11:49 AM.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

nobody mentionned the hasty guy that combo's with intuition putting 2 eldrazi conscription in the yard. normal?

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Tylert View Post
    nobody mentionned the hasty guy that combo's with intuition putting 2 eldrazi conscription in the yard. normal?
    While it's a powerful interaction, the auras get exiled at your end step. So you do it *once* and hope it's enough. It can one-shot people for sure, which is pretty cool, and providing trample is nice for getting past TNN. Are you playing Slippery Bogle with it to avoid removal? Sounds fun, I think it might be alright.

For reference:Storm Herald
    Brainstorm Realist

bruizar

This secretly looks like a better Darkblast, because it doesn't eat your draw step (instead it eats 2 extra mana and 2 cards).

Thread Information