Thread: Mana Abilites, "You may" abilities

Mana Abilites, "You may" abilities

Gilded Goose Sacs a food token for a mana. If I have a Trail of Crumbs do I get the mana before the ability triggers, IE can I use the goose's mana to pay the 1 for Trail?
    I'm assuming yes since mana abilities don't use the stack and just "happen" but just want to be sure.

Similar vein -
    Vraska, Golgari Queen uses +2 ability to sac a food, draw a card and gain a life. If I have mana and choose to pay the Trail of crumbs ability, which effect happens first? I'm assuming Trail ability resolves first, but I'm not 100%. Vraska might sacrifice and draw upon resolution. I'm a little unsure of those types of abilities.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Re: Mana Abilites, "You may" abilities

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Gilded Goose Sacs a food token for a mana. If I have a Trail of Crumbs do I get the mana before the ability triggers, IE can I use the goose's mana to pay the 1 for Trail?
    I'm assuming yes since mana abilities don't use the stack and just "happen" but just want to be sure.
    Not sure about this one...
    Similar vein -
    Vraska, Golgari Queen uses +2 ability to sac a food, draw a card and gain a life. If I have mana and choose to pay the Trail of crumbs ability, which effect happens first? I'm assuming Trail ability resolves first, but I'm not 100%. Vraska might sacrifice and draw upon resolution. I'm a little unsure of those types of abilities.
    Here is it smore simple: The only cost there is adding two loyalty counters, everything else uses the stack. so you have to let vraska's ability resolve before being able to resolve trail of crumbs trigger.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Pretty sure your reasoning is correct, Mana Abilities do not use the stack.

Similar vein -
    Vraska's ability is a reflexive trigger. So, the loyalty ability resolves, which then asks if you sac a permanent. When you do, there is the reflexive trigger that happens, which is the draw a card and gain a life part. My intuition is that since you will then control both triggers (the reflexive one and Trail of Crumbs' one), you can choose the order, but there I am not 100% sure.

Edit: Actually I think I was wrong on that, if [...] is not relfexive, when [...] is, so I'm not sure about this.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Was able to ask a L2. Response:

Yes, that's right. The Goose's ability resolves immediately when you activate it. Afterwards, the game notices you sacrificed a Food and Trail of Crumb's ability is put on the stack. When it resolves, you can use the mana the Goose generated to pay for the cost.
    Regarding Vraksa, which I asked if the ability completely resolves (and the food sacrificed and card drawn) before triggering Trail (which was NOT what I initially thought and posted above, but after some thinking on other abilities thought might be the case):

You're correct. We must completely resolve Vraska's ability before the triggered ability from Trail of Crumbs can be put on the stack.

You choose whether to pay {1} when Trail of Crumb's ability resolves, which is well after Vraska's ability has finished resolving. You'll know what card you drew when choosing whether or not to pay {1}.
    In summary:
    The goose's mana ability doesn't use the stack and the ability is completed before Trail triggers, so the mana CAN be used to pay the (1) for Trail's ability.

The decision to sacrifice on Vraska's +2 ability occurs upon resolution so it happens at the same time as the card draw (thus, its not part of the cost as others here have said). After that completely resolves (including card draw), trail triggers and I have the option to pay the (1) to see additional cards.

Thanks for the help everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Thread Information