Thread: Foie Gras (Nimble Griselbrand)

Foie Gras (Nimble Griselbrand)

Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Foie Gras (Nimble Griselbrand)

Goose and Footfalls seem out of place
    Maybe with Lootings and therapy they're supposed to be e.g. Bloodghast instead

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I think this is a convincing demonstration of the fact that any pile of individually decent cards has a shot at winning a game of Magic.
    You have cards (or combinations of cards) that are decent standalones, mashed together in a pile that fails to my eyes to make any sense strategically speaking. Please don't take any of this personally, I've created a lot of piles of unplayable jank, so been there done that.

You dedicate 9 slots to a Reanimator plan with only one target and too few fast mana or things to chain after you drew 7 (but heh, a 7/7 flying-lifelink demon on turn 2 will sure often be enough to close out some games), 3 Young Pyromancer + 2 Cabal Therapies which remains a good combination of cards that for sure can train-wreck any hand, Dreadhorde + 1 Mana spells, 2 Footfalls that seem completely out of place but you may once live the dream of discarding them to one of your 4 outlets and cast it for free with one your your 4 Dreadhordes to get two nice Rhinos, a Mongoose without a tempo plan but hey, that's a 3/3 that dodges Plow and Maze so against some decks it might sometimes win you a game.

I mean, yeah, the combination of cards above, if things don't line up too bad and you're a decent pilot, could conceivably win a FNM. Apart from that...

What I suggest is :

Get a plan. What is this deck trying to do ? This doesn't mean you have to be a linear deck aiming at doing exactly one thing. You can decide you want to play a midrange deck that suddenly jumps to their opponent's throat with a single Reanimate. You can decide you want to be able to change your plan completely with a transformative sideboard, or just crush the opponent with counter-hate. Whatever floats your boat, really, as long as you know actively what questions your deck is bringing an answer to.
    You're playing RGx and want to put things in your graveyard ? Sounds like a good plan. Wrenn and Six, Mox Diamond (and not Chrome Mox), Wasteland. You get card advantage, an occasional "oops I win" button with W6+Wasteland into massive tempo gain, inevitability with W6's ultimate, nice sideboard options with Crop Rotation + Bojuka Bog/Karakas.
    You want a cheap beater that scales off your Threshold plan ? Tarmogoyf is still a Magic card. If you can't afford dual lands, you could even conceivably make it look like that's a choice, play Death's Shadow + 4 Street Wraith that are actually quite decent with the Reanimate/Threshold plan. Oh, and if you like cheap, fun 1-ofs, Ghor-Clan Rampager says hello.
    Your sideboards looks like it could be improved greatly :
    - Crop Rotation into Bog/Karakas mentioned above (which in turn allows you to free space from your slightly excessive graveyard-hate),
    - Cindervines to splash Abrade (which also helps to shore combo match-ups that Duress wants to address I guess ?),
    - That Grave Titan looks like he doesn't know what he's doing there. Grindy match-ups ? Grab a good planeswalker instead, like Garruk Relentless that will make UW Control decks cry all of their tears. Want it to be a creature to be able to reanimate it if need be ? Thrun, the Last Troll is hexproof/uncounterable + regen on a decently-sized body.
    - Plague Engineer is a good Magic card for obvious reasons.
    - Choke is a good Magic card for obvious reasons.
    - Pyroblast is a good Magic card that can be replayed by Dreadhorde for a double-Vindicate.
    - Abrupt Decay/Assassin's Trophy are still good catch-all answers.

Nov 2007
    Germany, RLP, KO

Quote Originally Posted by Unlif3 View Post
    You dedicate 9 slots to a Reanimator plan with only one target
    Entomb does a lot more, than only finding Griselbrand here.

- Finds Punishing Fire, if you have Grove or need to take the control role.
    - Finds Crashing Footfalls, if you have Dreadhorde ready
    - Finds Cabal Therapy, if you have no better plan than disruption and have some tokens ready to sac.
    - Finally finds Griselbrand if you have Reanimate in hand.

bruizar

The plan is pretty obvious to me. Take Dreadhorde Arcanist to the extreme. The deck falls apart against a Leyline of the Void, but so do most of the other decks in Legacy right now. The Reanimates give the deck a lot of resilience against stuff like Lightning Bolt, since you can just reanimate the Dreadhorde Arcanist, attack and reanimate another creature. I don't like the sideboard though. You need at least something to address unfair matches. Maybe an Ashen Rider so you can Entomb in response to an Exhume. Maybe something extra vs Storm. Maybe a few Hymn to Tourachs.

I think you'ld want to add some stitcher's suppliers and some hogaak, arisen necropolis

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    The plan is pretty obvious to me. Take Dreadhorde Arcanist to the extreme. The deck falls apart against a Leyline of the Void, but so do most of the other decks in Legacy right now. The Reanimates give the deck a lot of resilience against stuff like Lightning Bolt, since you can just reanimate the Dreadhorde Arcanist, attack and reanimate another creature. I don't like the sideboard though. You need at least something to address unfair matches. Maybe an Ashen Rider so you can Entomb in response to an Exhume. Maybe something extra vs Storm. Maybe a few Hymn to Tourachs.
    That was my read of the deck too. It makes use of Entomb and Faithless Looting on many levels for value. Even the Reanimates are strong recurring card-advantage 2 drops and Mongeese paying very few life. Griselbrand is a side advantage that only takes 1 slot.

Footfalls is very strong with Arcanist and Entomb/Faithless.

Arcanist recurring Faithless Looting sets up Mongoose pretty quickly.

I don't think the deck looks incredibly strong, and it folds to dedicated graveyard hate, but it does have a plan and looks fun.

I think 2 Therapy is too few, and 5 discard in general is too little interaction with unfair decks. Maybe Stitcher's Supplier and more Cabal Therapy would improve the deck.
    Last edited by FTW; 11-06-2019 at 03:22 PM.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

Because this reminds me of the bride of Frankenstein list I was playing, a single bloodghast can add a lot of value. Especially if you add a dread return later.
    The Parfait Meta-Game

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Yeah I was trying to find the Bride of Young Frankenstein thread earlier today but failed, but here it is (for inspiration): http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...g-Frankenstein

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

what's the urza list? :-D
    -rob

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    what's the urza list? :-D
    I played against whitefaces https://twitter.com/WhiteFacesmtg/st...987650560?s=19 .

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I’ll work on version two for one Tuesday next month.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

May 2014
    Winnipeg, Mb

The Parfait Meta-Game

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon X View Post
    Pretty similar! Drs is banned unfortunately but I think you'd enjoy my build. If you try it let me know how it goes .

Winter Maze

Thread Information