Site Contributor
    Dec 2010
    Houston, Texas, USA

No more Legacy on the SCG Tour

http://www.starcitygames.com/article...ur-Update.html

Legacy is dead.
    Long live Legacy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    You don't get to play the most powerful cards in the format and then bitch when someone finally says no. You also don't get to bitch that it's not fun when someone finally tells you no instead of voyeuristicly watching you masturbate with Cantrips.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: No more Legacy on the SCG Tour

Well, I was right on the effect, wrong on the time-frame.

Legacy is dead, long live Legacy indeed.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Make Wombat Great Again
    Mar 2010
    FEMA Region X

So when is the Great Sell-off? I'm hungry for bargains.
    Listen up shitizens! http://www.noagendashow.com/
    Be a part of the magic! OBDM https://ourbigdumbmouth.com/

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    PM me.

I've been active on the Reddit thread about this, but I'll give the same advice here as I gave there: Don't sell off. I don't think our shift from supporting Legacy at the SCG CON level (instead of the SCG Tour level) is going to long-term affect prices on Legacy staples.

Quote Originally Posted by the Thin White Duke View Post
    When Wizards changes Legacy to an online-only format, so not yet.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

I've never sold anything and I don't plan on starting now (or ever). My kids will get some valuable cards, or a pile of junk. I wish I had some capital to pick up some stuff if people fire-sale it, but times are a bit tough at the moment.

In the mean time, we'll be running our Legacy FNMs until we likely die.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by BenBleiweiss View Post
    I've been active on the Reddit thread about this, but I'll give the same advice here as I gave there: Don't sell off. I don't think our shift from supporting Legacy at the SCG CON level (instead of the SCG Tour level) is going to long-term affect prices on Legacy staples.
    You said "our" are you from SCG? 'Cause I'd really like to hear the explanation for why legacy cards were on sale this weekend but the announcement came today.
    Also, doesn't that sale kinda suggest the opposite of what you're claiming here?

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    You said "our" are you from SCG? 'Cause I'd really like to hear the explanation for why legacy cards were on sale this weekend but the announcement came today.
    Also, doesn't that sale kinda suggest the opposite of what you're claiming here?
    Considering Ben owns SCG as far as I know I'd say yes. I think prices of non RL stuff will fall off, and that RL stuff will fall in the short term, but I think EDH plus legacy still being a popular grassroots format will keep RL stuff at decent prices
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I'm the General Manager of SCG. I plan all card sales and am in charge of our group of pricing department (about 8 people deep).

Last week's weekly sale was our Halloween sale. This week's sale is our 50% off sale.

I *THINK* the sale you're referring to is the #BensBirthdaySale from Tuesday (https://twitter.com/StarCityBen/stat...31954317713410), where I put all of our actual-scan cards (anything over a certain dollar amount gets scanned individually on our website) on sale. This included cards from Alpha, Beta, Unlimited, Arabian Nights (Bazaar, Juzam, Library), Antiquities (Candelabra, Workshop), Legends (Nether Void, The Abyss, The Tabernacle), Urza's Legacy (Monolith Foil), and Promos (Gaea's Cradle).

There were around 160 cards on the sale. Of these, about 80% were Power / Vintage Cards / High End Alpha cards (Shivan Dragons, Nightmares, etc), 10% were Legacy cards, and 10% were Alpha/Beta/Blue UL/FBB duals.

You can get a pretty accurate representation of the types of cards based on what didn't sell, for reference (http://www.starcitygames.com/results...&go.x=0&go.y=0). For instance, I'd count an Alpha Serra Angel as "Power/Vintage/High End Alpha" and not "Legacy" because, while it's technically legal in Legacy, nobody is buying that card to play in a Legacy deck.

Other Legacy cards (anything below the scan threshold) were not on this sale, and haven't been on sale on our website in quite a while. We are actually selling Dual Lands faster than we're getting them in (http://www.starcitygames.com/results...y=3&numpage=25).

I'm going to have a longer explanation later tonight once I get home from work. If people want to sell out because of our announcement they are welcome to, but I'm going to be up front and say "I wouldn't recommend doing it because you think the prices are going to tank."

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    Considering Ben owns SCG as far as I know I'd say yes. I think prices of non RL stuff will fall off, and that RL stuff will fall in the short term, but I think EDH plus legacy still being a popular grassroots format will keep RL stuff at decent prices
    Pete Hoefling owns SCG. I'm the General Manager. I'm just a lot more active on social media than Pete :)

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Pete Hoefling owns SCG. I'm the General Manager. I'm just a lot more active on social media than Pete :)
    Apologies. I knew you were high up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jun 2011
    Arcadia, CA

As a secondary supplier of cards, SCG would not want cards to tank.

I'm the General Manager of SCG. I plan all card sales and am in charge of our group of pricing department (about 8 people deep).
    You should really make this more obvious, either in your signature or your custom title.

Sorry, I'm not much into honorifics :)

Sorry, I'm not much into honorifics :)
    Dont make it wierd. Its an identifier so people will know to take your advice with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by itslarryyo View Post
    Dont make it wierd. Its an identifier so people will know to take your advice with a grain of salt.
    ROFL

bruizar

To me the glory days of legacy were those where scg ran video coverage of their legacy games. I watched them almost every weekend on Twitch and I like them a lot better than Wizards’ own coverage. I actually bought a new TV back then specifically to run the SCG games on my tv. I’m very sad to see this happen but I understand the appeal of Pioneer. As with vintage, the legacy young guns have grown old and it is time for a new generation of people who grew up with Magic to get the support from scg. I do hope we get at leadt some semi regular legacy content, be jt in the form of high quality articles or something else.

My fantasy is a tournament setup where a player competes in standard, then day 2 has to compete in Pioneer, then modern, legacy, and finally then vintage, to win the ultimate crown of magic

Edit:
    Benbleiweiss: what do you think of Trinity as a solution for the deck prices and card diversity of legacy without requiring the reserved list to be abolished? Imo this would allow new growth in both players and the secondary market for cards that are now outclassed in a 4-off format.
    https://www.mtgtrinity.com/format

I have been advocating for Trinity for the preservation of a healthy legacy format. We as a community should proactively modify our format rather than letting it slowly disappear, i’ve seen this happen to Vintage and it was painful to watch that format die even though we had so many discussions on themanadrain about solutions to the reserved list, proxies, collector’s edition, etc etc..

plays Mountains
    Mar 2011
    Philadelphia Area

Called it. It was a fairly obvious direction to take though.

Even if there is a 'Great Legacy Sell-Off', any downward movement in price is temporary as the EDH market would jump on the opportunity and drive the price back up.

Thread Information