Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emry Stompy

Sep 2011

Re: Emry Stompy

Bluepposition Agent makes for another direction for this deck to go.

2U - Lol
    Flash
    If an opponent would draw a card other than the first one this turn, you instead get that many treasure tokens.
    3/2

8Twist

//Lands: 17
    4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    7 Snow-Covered Island

//Creatures: 12
    4 Hullbreacher
    4 Emry, Lurker of the Loch
    4 Urza, Lord High Artificer

//Artifacts: 20
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Urza's Bauble
    4 Chalice of the Void

//Spells: 4
    4 Echo of Eons

//Planeswalkers: 8
    4 Narset, Parter of Veils
    4 Karn, the Great Creator

//Sideboard: 15
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Walking Ballista
    4 Force of Will
    1 Submerge
    1 Dismember

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Just drafted a quick draft that includes both hullbreacher and opposition agent

4 Seat of the Synod
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Snow-Covered Island
    2 Snow-Covered Swamp

4 Hullbreacher
    4 Opposition Agent
    3 Urza, Lord High Artificer
    2 Plague Engineer

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    2 Mishra's Bauble
    2 Urza's Bauble
    4 Chalice of the Void

2 Echo of Eons

Sideboard
    4 Force of Will
    2 Plague Engineer
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Open
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Sep 2011

I've been playing around more with Mind Twist Stompy.

This engine is busted. It has the memes of Pirate Stompy and Chains-Dark Deal with the explosive combo in Snow Day, only with much more combo.

Intuition is serious tech here.

//Lands: 16
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Seat of the Synod
    6 Snow-Covered Island

//Creatures: 10
    4 Hullbreacher
    2 Brazen Borrower

//Planeswalkers: 7
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils

//Spells: 10
    4 Force of Will
    2 Intuition
    4 Echo of Eons

//Artifacts: 17
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mox Opal
    3 Mishra's Bauble

1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimental Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    3 Walking Ballista
    2 Urza, Lord High Artificer
    2 Mystical Dispute
    1 Cyclonic Rift
    1 Karakas

Intuition for 3xEcho puts 2 in the graveyard and 1 in hand. That means you don't even need LED, you have a 2nd in the yard in case one is countered, and you have one in hand to pitch to Force (or discard to LED). That's effectively 3 chances to resolve the MindTwist/D7 all off one Intuition cast.

Echo doesn't end the turn, so you can chain it into another Echo or cast other threats without passing. The 7 treasures plus cards drawn are outrageous mana acceleration. Off 1 Echo I was able to hardcast Karn into Lattice into my opponent's empty hand... (10 mana = 7 treasures + Sol Land + Petal)

MD Brazen Borrower is tech I'm exploring here. In G1 it's another wincon (because there's no Urza or Sai). EOT bounce into Echo is also basically hard removal for any permanent, while the creature stays in the adventure zone to be cast after your new hand.

I'm a bit low on 0-mana artifacts. I find Baubles durdly. I've been testing if this works with Hullbreacher producing random treasures, and without Urza or Sai depending on as many artifacts. The higher blue count also helps support FoW.

Anvil of Bogardan seems to be an interesting alternative to intuition. It costs considerably less in a sol land deck, puts dead echos in hand into the gy, and inherently provides a mini combo with your draw hate.

Sep 2011

Intuition is an instant and can also tutor for FoW (to stop something), Karn (to win), LED (for mana/discard), or Hullbreacher/Narset if you already have Echo. I've already used it for all of those cards. I think the flexible utility outweighs having additional combo pieces in Anvil (only fills one role).

Finding 3xEcho is just an incredible value play against fair blue disruption because you get 3 attempts to beat counters out of one card. But it's not the only line with Intuition.

With an Emry in play, you can even tutor for 3 different artifacts and have access to all of them.

The deck feels light on win cons so I probably need some MD Urza.

Anvil is a slow value engine, but this deck really wants to lock them out all at once. Maybe 1x Anvil in the Karnboard.

Anvil isn’t quite as good agreed as enabling echo, but you are light on both t1 sol land plays and artifacts, and heavy on 3 cmc plays. Having an enabler that can be recurred by Emry also seems good as you don’t have many artifacts worth recurring.

If you don’t want to play bauble or anvil best options would be either Chrome mox or mox opal (you would need to sub out borrower for Erayo in that case)

Sep 2011

Yeah, the 3 drops are crowded, and I'm losing tempo in the games without 3 mana on turn 1. If I have to Intuition into the combo (either Hull or Echo), then that's T2 3-mana spell, T3 3-mana spell, T4 3-mana spell... awkward curve.

I do have 3x Mox Opal already (and 4x Lotus Petal), and have thought about replacing a Bauble with another Opal. But the 4th Opal seems bad with the lower artifact count.

The T1 plays so far are Chalice and Emry (which is a 1-2 mana card in practice). What else would fit? Erayo would want more 0ccs, cutting cards at the top end (probably FoW). The top cards I have in mind are:
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Sorcerous Spyglass
    Spellskite

Interestingly, Spellskite is a 3/3 Elk vs an undefended Oko. It also protects Hullbreacher and Narset from Bolts in response to Echo, and it makes players regret playing Pyroblast over REB.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Yeah, the 3 drops are crowded, and I'm losing tempo in the games without 3 mana on turn 1. If I have to Intuition into the combo (either Hull or Echo), then that's T2 3-mana spell, T3 3-mana spell, T4 3-mana spell... awkward curve.

I do have 3x Mox Opal already (and 4x Lotus Petal), and have thought about replacing a Bauble with another Opal. But the 4th Opal seems bad with the lower artifact count.

The T1 plays so far are Chalice and Emry (which is a 1-2 mana card in practice). What else would fit? Erayo would want more 0ccs, cutting cards at the top end (probably FoW). The top cards I have in mind are:
    Phyrexian Revoker
    Sorcerous Spyglass
    Spellskite

Interestingly, Spellskite is a 3/3 Elk vs an undefended Oko. It also protects Hullbreacher and Narset from Bolts in response to Echo, and it makes players regret playing Pyroblast over REB.
    Oops I meant mox amber not mox opal

Sep 2011

Not enough Legends that could be in play before the Mox Amber.

Chrome Mox is awkward as card disadvantage. It consumes blue cards. Combined with FoW, that squeezes you on business slots, because the business spells are mainly blue. You can't afford to give up too many blue cards and still do things. Mox Diamond might even be better, just by consuming a non-blue resource instead of a blue card. Due to the curve, 3 mana on turns 1-2-3 is better than making sequential land drops.

I tested cutting FoW and Borrower to play Erayo and more 0ccs. I didn't like it. Erayo flip was too easy to stop (e.g. Bolt) and Erayo was a bad outside the opening hand. It might work better in the UW build, but here the Hullbreacher combo is much stronger to lock out the opponent and Erayo's Essence is not needed. Meanwhile I missed having FoW to protect the main plan. I ended up back at this.

//Lands: 16
    2 City of Traitors
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Seat of the Synod
    6 Snow-Covered Island

//Creatures: 10
    4 Hullbreacher
    2 Urza, Lord High Artificer

//Planeswalkers: 7
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils

//Spells: 10
    4 Force of Will
    4 Echo of Eons
    2 Intuition

//Artifacts: 17
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Mox Opal
    2 Mishra's Bauble

1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimental Coating
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Spellskite
    2 Walking Ballista
    2 Defense Grid
    2 Brazen Borrower
    1 Urza, Lord High Artificer
    1 Karakas

I kept the Borrowers SB and Urzas main for now, feeling a bit light on win conditions otherwise. Without Urza I was 90% of wins were Karn into Lattice, and I wanted a MD line that works when Lattice doesn't.

The UW list posted in the other thread had only 17 artifacts too. With artifact lands and Hullbreacher making Lotus Petals, I think that's enough.

Emry has plenty of business to recur. Often its role is just to mill Echo of Eons to make it cost 2U without LED. Other times it recurs a milled or countered LED (to turn on the Echo in hand), a used Lotus Petal, a milled/Wasted Seat of the Synod, or a countered/killed Chalice. I use those modes often enough that I'm not even recurring Baubles much, making the Baubles look weak and durdly. I think Bauble is still better than a card disadvantage Mox, because the draw is useful sometimes, but maybe not by much.

I would consider Sevinne's Reclamation here if I had a white splash. It recurs all the key pieces, has value when milled with Emry, and allows more versatile Intuition piles.

Sep 2011

This combo is dumb.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-15-2021 at 10:37 AM.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Now that SnowDay is banned, there's much less reason not to play Echo
    Enjoy it while you can, I give Echo about 6 months until people realize it's getting axed. Welcome back to total hand destruction meta Hymn vs CB vs Echo.

I’m not so sure. The deck is worse against other stompy decks (which should be coming back) and mana denial (death and taxes and rg lands looks strong) than it was vs oko. Loam and maverick also seem difficult and should come back from extinction.

Grixis delver actually seems more difficult for this deck to beat than rug, and it’s stock should go up.

Snow day was already only playing 2 oko, don’t you think they will just add another narset and days undoing?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I’m not so sure. The deck is worse against other stompy decks (which should be coming back) and mana denial (death and taxes and rg lands looks strong) than it was vs oko. Snow day was already only playing 2 oko, don’t you think they will just add another narset and days undoing?
    The Curse Stompy matchup is abysmal, yes. Otherwise maindecking Force should improve the stompy matchups while also protecting the combo. My version of the deck is less of a grindy Sai/Urza/Bauble goodstuff deck and more focused on quickly annihilating their hand and winning that turn with the Treasures. That's a space Day decks can't occupy because Day passes the turn. This deck wins the turn it resolves the draw 7. It's Combo-Prison. It may still be worse, but I think the hand destruction strategy has potential.

Also Snow Day's entire core fundamentally changes. They lose Astrolabe, completely changing their manabase. Ice-Fang Coatl is soft-banned because they won't have so many snow basics, and without Oko there's less reason to be in green at all. Will they stay green just for Uro now that splashing comes with a manabase cost? Astrolabe was the glue for 4c snow piles.

I think blue control will return to UWx Miracles and Grixis control, with less reason to be green at all. Grixis already has other ways to blow up hands. UW Miracles might keep splashing HullDay combo.

I think this deck does seem good. 90% of the time you are probably getting echo with intuition; would it be better to just run days undoing so you have 6 of each combo piece and you aren’t dead to graftdiggers cage?

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    I think this deck does seem good. 90% of the time you are probably getting echo with intuition; would it be better to just run days undoing so you have 6 of each combo piece and you aren’t dead to graftdiggers cage?
    Could be a good option, especially postboard. Probably better than trying to bounce the Cage/Leyline with Borrower.

G1 with no early gravehate (except from Curses) the plan is to set up Hull+Echo ASAP, protected by Chalice or FoW, and then try to win the same turn. The most common line is to annihilate their hand and then chain into Karn->Lattice or Aetherflux storm, using all the free Treasure mana. Lattice is usually enough. Day doesn't help that plan, while Narset and Intuition can at least dig for pieces. But postboard beating hate matters more than the exposive win.

Intuition can serve multiple roles:
    -Early game it finds 3x Echo (which gives you 2 attempts to draw 7 without LED + a blue card to pitch to FoW) - insane card advantage
    -3x FoW to counter a spell
    -3x Hullbreacher at EOT if you already have LED+Echo
    -post-combo it gets 3x Karn -> Lattice, greatly increasing the consistency of that line
    -post combo it can also set up a 2nd Echo if you need to chain into more Treasure mana and cards/storm
    -can also grab Urza, Chalice or Grid in grindier games

It sets up the combo, protects the combo, and improves consistency of the finish. I've been really happy with the card, especially vs fair blue.

Postboard 3xDay might be better than trying to beat gravehate.

If you are focusing on the combo could Defense grid be better than some of the top end or fow? Gives you more t1 tomb plays, helps post echo like in TEs.

Sep 2011

Not a bad idea to have Grids main, then FoW and Day SB. FoW is better in the Day plan anyway because of passing the turn. Force does help vs other combo and stuff like T1 Chalice/Sphere.

Edit: Maindeck/SB swap
    -4 FoW
    +3 Grid
    +1 LED (better in main to maximize combo, then board it out as a Karn target in grindier postboard games)

Days may replace Ballistas, since the plan against fair decks is just to combo off.

Sep 2011

Revisiting this now that Urza's Saga is a thing. It replaces some of the top end (like Urza) functioning as the same kind of beatdown wincon and card advantage engine, while in early combo mode it can tap for mana and tutor for LED. This allows the deck to lower the curve without compromising on win conditions.

This is for the combo-control version I've been working on above, as opposed to the generic "good stuff" version that sees more play.

//Lands: 20
    4 Urza's Saga
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    10 Island

//Artifacts: 22
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Mox Opal
    3 Lion's Eye Diamond
    3 Mishra's Bauble
    1 Retrofitter Foundry
    3 Defense Grid

//Creatures: 8
    4 Hullbreacher

//Planeswalkers: 6
    2 Narset, Parter of Veils

//Spells: 4
    4 Echo of Eons

1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Aetherflux Reservoir
    1 Teferi's Puzzle Box
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Lion's Eye Diamond
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Walking Ballista
    3 Hope of Ghirapur
    2 Brazen Borrower
    2 Day's Undoing

Cutting Intuition reduces consistency of some combo lines but it also reduces vulnerability to grave hate. I need to see how much I miss Intuition. It played many useful roles, but it made the curve out awkward because you want to go 3-3-3. Instead of tutoring for Echo, the plan is to board into 2 Day's Undoing. That gives more copies of the same effect without risking the GY vulnerability postboard.

With the lower blue count and more combo-y strategy, I'm testing 0 FoW (instead of 3-4 in SB) and protecting the combo with Chalice, maindeck Defense Grids, and SB Hope of Ghirapur (which can be uncounterably tutored by Urza's Saga to set up a protected turn vs heavy blue).

The Karnboard is testing some silver bullets:
    -Aetherflux Reservoir, which can often give a noncombat win condition fueled by all the Treasure mana
    -Teferi's Puzzle Box, which makes a prison with Narset/Hull while digging into a win condition

Controversially I cut Seat of the Synod for Island. I think there are already enough artifacts to fuel Emry, while it's more important that a blue source isn't lost to Wasteland/B2B/Moons/Affinity hate.

Edit: Some explanation of why I Necrod the thread.
    UR Delver is clearly the top deck right now. It will just get better as they fine-tune slots. How to beat Delver? Current configurations are weak to Chalice @ 1, with a 1-heavy curve and few answers to Chalice. 6x Narset effect punishes cantrip decks, Urza's Saga into Foundry is very strong against fair blue, and maindeck Grid and SB Hope lets you do degenerate stuff with Echo and Karn through counters. Playing basic Island over Seat of the Synod dodges Wasteland, Meltdown, Null Rod, B2B, etc. but you can still play turn 1 Emry from the higher overall artifact count. I think that gives this archetype (and this particular combo-control configuration) legs to fight Delver-heavy metas. Needs testing. On the flip side of it, the Echo combo is degenerate against Affinity and other nonblue fair decks trying to hate out Delver.
    Last edited by FTW; 06-07-2021 at 02:43 PM.

Have you tested Paradoxical Outcome in this deck? Maybe also with Sai.

Thread Information