Thread: Chalice Checking?

Chalice Checking?

Hello, played in my weekly Legacy tournament. A topic came up about chalice checking and if it's still legal. In case you don't know my vernacular, it's intentionally casting a spell that you know will be countered by chalice on the hope your opponent will miss the trigger. According to someone at the tournament Throne of Eldraine changed that. Can anyone clarify if that is allowed at competitive REL? I scoured google, and nothing. So I think it's still fair game, but someone said it wasn't maintaining the game state? Anyway, let me know.

Re: Chalice Checking?

Quote Originally Posted by Gunofmercy View Post
    Hello, played in my weekly Legacy tournament. A topic came up about chalice checking and if it's still legal. In case you don't know my vernacular, it's intentionally casting a spell that you know will be countered by chalice on the hope your opponent will miss the trigger. According to someone at the tournament Throne of Eldraine changed that. Can anyone clarify if that is allowed at competitive REL? I scoured google, and nothing. So I think it's still fair game, but someone said it wasn't maintaining the game state? Anyway, let me know.
    You are allowed to chalice-check your opponent in paper by casting your spells into their chalice

You aren't allowed to chalice-check your opponent by casting spells into your own chalice

This hasn't changed with Eldraine as far as I know
    Here is the current IPG from the wotc website (emphasis mine

Triggered abilities are common and invisible, so players should not be harshly penalized when
    forgetting about one. Players are expected to remember their own triggered abilities;
    intentionally ignoring one may be Unsporting Conduct — Cheating
    (unless the ability would
    have no impact on the game as described above). Even if an opponent is involved in the
    announcement or resolution of the ability, the controller is still responsible for ensuring the
    opponents make the appropriate choices and take the appropriate actions. Opponents are not
    required to point out triggered abilities that they do not control, though they may do so if they
    wish.

Re: Chalice Checking?

Thank you! I was 99.9% sure, but figured I'd ask. I found it odd that there wasn't any articles or discussions on the change, considering it would be pretty big.

Thread Information