Thread: For Fun - Which of the Mystery Playtest Cards would've been played in Legacy

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

For Fun - Which of the Mystery Playtest Cards would've been played in Legacy

So the convention center versions of the Mystery Booster packs will contain some Playtest Cards. Some of these look quite fun. They will not be legal, ever, but instead of spending our time discussing the Reserved List or even the health of the format, thought it would be fun to peruse these and just dream up what could've been if any of these were ever printed.
    Last edited by Cire; 11-25-2019 at 05:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Re: For Fun - Which of the Mystery Playtest Cards would've been played in Legacy

The thread so nice you made it twice.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: For Fun - Which of the Mystery Playtest Cards would've been played in Legacy

Ha, no clue how that happened. If a Mod could delete the other thread, much appreciated!

The link's not working, so I'm gonna go with, umm... I dunno.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Link is here and will update OP (realized how I double posted too, I clicked back to edit the first link instead of just clicking edit post)

https://www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-set...laytest-cards/

Fun thread idea!

Animate Spell is a great hard counterspell.
    Buried Ogre looks abusable.
    Wizened Arbiter gives D&T a wish board, which is insane.
    Baneslayer Aspirant pairs very nicely with Gideon of the Trials and Gideon, Ally of Zendikar.
    Witty Demon is a VERY intriguing card imo. 3 mana for a 4/3 flyer that tutors any card, with the condition that your deck must have at least 73 cards. I think it's worth it.
    Puresteel Angel is also interesting. Connect once and you are protected for the remainder of the match.
    Mirrored Lotus is obviously good for combo. You hold it in hand until the turn you want to go off.

Animate Spell (Clutch counterspell that messes with uncounterable effects)

Bear with Set's Mechanic (Just a gszable doublestrike dude for your equipment, but probably maverick decks already have better options than this)

Biting Remark (Brainstorm -> Preordain -> Free 3/3 seems in the realm of playable but maybe it's a little bit too difficult)

Bone Rattler (Just a weird lingering souls variant but is unique enough that it would probably see play somewhere. E.g. in the grixis phoenix decks you could put 1 in a buried alive pile and it gives you infi threats/blockers/therapyfood for the rest of the game)

Buried Ogre (Depends if this works by pulling it out of your library at the start of the game or it has to be in your hand like a leyline. If it's the first case then it's obviously insane. Delve fodder, Ichorid fodder, Reanimate target, lose life for Deaths Shadow, etc. If you have to ditch it from your hand then it's crap)

Form of the Mulldrifter. (It draws 2 cards itself on ETB and is insane with any squee type of card but maybe this is too durdly for legacy)

Geometric Weird (You can do weird stuff like turn 1 announce this, tap city of brass to pay for it, cycle street wraith, crack bauble, but maybe this isn't good enough for legacy either)

Innocuous Insect (2/1 Flash Flying draw a card *on cast* is already pretty solid for 3 mana and then you factor the buyback into it and it seems very strong)

Lazier Goblin (Tarfire that can be cast from Cavern or Vialed in and leaves behind a Goblin permanent to boost all your Gempalms etc)

Learned Learner (maybe this is at the intersection of slightly too durdly + slightly too hard to activate but it's reasonable to go e.g. turn 1 this, turn 2 Reliquary Tower)

Mirrored Lotus (obviously broken, you just hold it until you're ready to combo off)

Pithing Spyglass (maybe this is too narrow, Infect, Storm, Dredge all seem fine things to name, but probably not worth boarding in to name something like Flying or Protection. Also if you name Infect then I think Inkmoth still gets around it. I think you can name indestructible against depths. Also if you name 'Protection' then you can plow Emrakul which is semi-interesting but probably not the plan you want to be on)

Ral's Vanguard (nuts if legal, but assume not because it's a vanguard card)

Stack of Paperwork (DNT might play this as a 1-of just because of how it interacts with Karakas and you can also blink it for value with Flickerwisp. I don't think there's any other deck that cares enough)

Sunimret (Maybe this is too hard to set up but you can like Preordain it to the bottom and then crack a fetch to cast it, and unlike terminus this doesn't use up a card from your hand. It's also interesting with Mistveil Plains)

Transcantation (like Animate Spell this card is super clutch because it stops uncounterable spells e.g. Decay, Dovins Veto, Boseiju and it also dodges Veil of Summer)

Trial and Error (Extra copies of Exquisite Firecraft)

Truth or Dare (milling someones entire library except the bottom 10 cards seems abuseable for 3 mana, from there they lose to any Brain Freeze / Glimpse etc)

Witty Demon (seems a small price to pay for having basically the most insane Recruiter ever, it can search for Aluren or just go in some kind of value deck. But if people already dislike fetchlands in paper can you imagine having to count your opponents' entire libraries all the time)

Wizened Arbiter (it could be nice to exchange plow in your hand for cataclysm or whatever, can't see the p/t in the pic but I assume it can be found with recruiter of the guard)

Yawgmoth's Testament (I assume this is broken somehow)

Animate Spell is pretty OP as a counter. It also has potential with split spells.

"Spark" abilities seem like energy without the stupid.

Enchanted Praire has potential.

Buried Ogre (Depends if this works by pulling it out of your library at the start of the game or it has to be in your hand like a leyline. If it's the first case then it's obviously insane. Delve fodder, Ichorid fodder, Reanimate target, lose life for Deaths Shadow, etc. If you have to ditch it from your hand then it's crap)
    If it works by pulling out of the library, then it's an obvious include for living end type stuff, but just thinning the deck is something people will mess with.

Do-Over is busted. Potentially extra-busted in storm depending on the details of the rules.

Frogkin Kidnapper might be playable since it's almost a 2-for-1.

Gold Mine is a no drawback rainbow land.

Jasconian Isle has a bunch of potential.

Lantern of Undersight seems like it does good things with Ancient Stirrings,Brainstorm, and Recross the Paths it's probably not good enough, but there's potential for breaking games.

Lazier Goblin is a shock that leaves a body and can be vialed in.

Mirrored Lotus - Duh

Smelt // Herd // Saw is a great utility card.

Sunimret is super strong.

Transaction - Red Counter Spell

Witty Demon - The drawback is not significant compared to the advantage.

Wizened Arbiter - Toolbox tutor that gives a body and slots right into death & taxes.

Yawgmoth's Testament - Spoils of the Vault or Tainted Pact anyone? Maybe Plunge into Darkness is better. WotC has taken to using the exile zone with mechanics like cascade, so there may be some extra-silly finisher too.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

I would love to see Spark printed and I really like the Ransom mechanic (as long as it stays at (3) for each ransom - multiple costs might get really confusing).

I agree with Rufus that Buried Ogre might even be played in decks that do nothing with him. Lose 4 life but play with a 56 card deck may not seem great, but efficient combo decks would definitely try him out.

Slivdrazi tribal here we go

bombardment has more potential than I thought. For example it interacts pretty nicely with Spellweaver Helix and Infernal Tutor.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    bombardment has more potential than I thought. For example it interacts pretty nicely with Spellweaver Helix and Infernal Tutor.
    Does it combo with infernal tutor? Because it also turns your Infernal Tutor into a shock

It does work pretty well with Experimental Frenzy though

Quote Originally Posted by kombatkiwi View Post
    Does it combo with infernal tutor? Because it also turns your Infernal Tutor into a shock

It does work pretty well with Experimental Frenzy though
    It does not combo with infernal tutor (unless you have a quicken effect to cast bombardment with Tutor on the stack)
    It does, however, combo with Thrumming Stone

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    It does not combo with infernal tutor (unless you have a quicken effect to cast bombardment with Tutor on the stack)...
    I was wrong about that. Quickening doesn't help either since it changes spells on the stack too. (Playtest cards are silly.) Though, I think that does mean you can combo by resolving a Bombardment with the ripple ability on the stack.

I was wrong about that. Quickening doesn't help either since it changes spells on the stack too. (Playtest cards are silly.) Though, I think that does mean you can combo by resolving a Bombardment with the ripple ability on the stack.
    I don't think it changes spells on the stack. A spell on the stack is a spell on the stack, it's represented by a card you own but once you cast it it ceases to be a card.. Meanwhile revealed cards from your deck are definitely cards.

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    I don't think it changes spells on the stack. A spell on the stack is a spell on the stack, it's represented by a card you own but once you cast it it ceases to be a card.. Meanwhile revealed cards from your deck are definitely cards.
    I'm pretty sure that spells on the stack are cards, and would be affected.

Some stuff refers to spells as cards like eye of the storm.

I did go looking for potential enablers for a Quient Speculation/Spellweaver Helix combo, but Lava Dart - which would otherwise be perfect - is an instant rather than a sorcery.

I'm pretty sure that spells on the stack are cards, and would be affected.

Some stuff refers to spells as cards like eye of the storm.

I did go looking for potential enablers for a Quient Speculation/Spellweaver Helix combo, but Lava Dart - which would otherwise be perfect - is an instant rather than a sorcery.
    Rule 601.2a says that it becomes an object with characteristics of the card. Therefore changes to the card would not effect the object on the stack.
    Any card would work with spell Weaver because the imprinted cards would have their name changed to missile which is also the name of the spell you cast

Any card would work with spell Weaver because the imprinted cards would have their name changed to missile which is also the name of the spell you cast
    Yeah. I was wondering whether there was a way to make a combo like that without Bombardment.
    Last edited by rufus; 11-27-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Thread Information