Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to save Legacy

Re: How to save Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I've seen Nedleeds do it. Round 1 game 1 of an SCG I think it was. Opponent fetches a Volc, casts ponder, Nedleeds calls a judge on it being fake. Gets confirmed. Opponent had to change his card to a basic for the rest of the tournament. He supposedly had borrowed the deck so he didn't get a DQ I believe was the story
    I'll ask again "how" because it sounds like you're all using witchcraft.

So free nedleeds to get to the bottom of this

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    free nedleeds
    This thread is finally getting to the REAL issues!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I'll ask again "how" because it sounds like you're all using witchcraft.

So free nedleeds to get to the bottom of this
    I mean I'm not an expert, but playing the game for 20+ years and basically only playing eternal means you know what a real dual land looks like even across the table sleeved. It's not something I personally can do, but if you're looking for it and know what you;re looking for I can see how you'd be able to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

I mean I'm not an expert, but playing the game for 20+ years and basically only playing eternal means you know what a real dual land looks like even across the table sleeved. It's not something I personally can do, but if you're looking for it and know what you;re looking for I can see how you'd be able to do it.
    And yet you can't tell me how.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

I'm calling horseshit on anyone who says they can tell a fake across the table through a pair of sleeves.
    And double so on any judge who read some article online and thinks they can spot and dq players based on it.
    I've already spotted fake fetchies and a Surgical Extraction. Their color was way off so I took a close look. Told the players those are fakes and let them be. I want to play, not win because people don't want to pay dozens/hundreds/thousands of dollar/euros on cardboard (on a local level).
    Of course some fakes are better than those and some won't be spotted from a glance of the other side of the table.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    I've already spotted fake fetchies and a Surgical Extraction. Their color was way off so I took a close look. Told the players those are fakes and let them be. I want to play, not win because people don't want to pay dozens/hundreds/thousands of dollar/euros on cardboard (on a local level).
    Of course some fakes are better than those and some won't be spotted from a glance of the other side of the table.
    How do you know the coloring was off because they were fake and not because of a failure of the printing process or because of weathering?

Quote Originally Posted by thefreakaccident View Post
    Personally, I hope the fakes one day become indistinguishable from the real thing. I would love to be able to play legacy again.
    The problem is, if you sanction proxies, then... why not just go ahead and play Vintage?

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    The quality of fakes is consistently exaggerated. Visual inspection has been enough, but I'm happy to carry a loupe in my bag if there's ever a question.

Also, the "bend test" isn't a test. No one's bending cards.
    I don't want to beleaguer this issue but I would say the fakes you spotted were bad fakes. You've probably encountered dozens of good fakes that you couldn't tell were fakes.

Quote Originally Posted by jiazhouhuaqiao View Post
    The problem is, if you sanction proxies, then... why not just go ahead and play Vintage?
    To interject: it's a completely different format.

Even if proxies were legal, I'd still play way more Legacy than Vintage.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

I've seen Nedleeds do it. Round 1 game 1 of an SCG I think it was. Opponent fetches a Volc, casts ponder, Nedleeds calls a judge on it being fake. Gets confirmed. Opponent had to change his card to a basic for the rest of the tournament. He supposedly had borrowed the deck so he didn't get a DQ I believe was the story
    Somehow I'm not surprised someone that odious would be the person to attempt wins without playing the game.

How do you know the coloring was off because they were fake and not because of a failure of the printing process or because of weathering?
    Care to appraise that card for me?

Quote Originally Posted by jiazhouhuaqiao View Post
    Why the fuck would I want to play a one-deck format?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post

Why the fuck would I want to play a one-deck format?
    1) Since Narset got restricted, Vintage is the healthiest constructed format right now. All 5 colors have good cards in Vintage. That's not really true for Legacy.
    2) Also because it's fun to crack Lotuses and Ancestrals?

Being a good format is not why I care about Legacy. Actually I think Legacy has a lot of retardedness. I care about Legacy because of pet decks that I like, for example Enchantress or Solidarity.

Care to appraise that card for me?
    So is that a "I don't" to the "how did you know" question?
    Or is this a call back to the "there is no market therefore cards can't be valued" thread?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

And yet you can't tell me how.
    Well I'm not nedleeds, and like I said unlike him I don't have 20+ years experience playing with duals. I can't tell you how because I am unsure of exactly how he knew, all I know is what I witnessed happen.
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Somehow I'm not surprised someone that odious would be the person to attempt wins without playing the game.
    Because playing by the rules (using legal real magic cards) and calling an opponent out for not playing by those same rules is scummy /s

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Kinda of? I mean, it's not really a rule that goes towards game play but instead goes towards purchase price. It would be like if there was a NFL rule requiring players to have spent $X+ on their cleats, and Player A points out that Player B's cleats were <$X. The cleats, other than price, allowed the player wearing them to play football just as well as the $X+ Cleats. You better believe that there will be Op-Eds calling Player A scummy. Now MTG is not the NFL, Wizards won't exist if people didn't use the more expensive cards, but that is a corporate problem, on a personal - player level, it does feel scummy to forfeit someone because they don't have the funds for the more expensive real cards. Just play and enjoy the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Kinda of? I mean, it's not really a rule that goes towards game play but instead goes towards purchase price. It would be like if there was a NFL rule requiring players to have spent $X+ on their cleats, and Player A points out that Player B's cleats were <$X. The cleats, other than price, allowed the player wearing them to play football just as well as the $X+ Cleats. You better believe that there will be Op-Eds calling Player A scummy. Now MTG is not the NFL, Wizards won't exist if people didn't use the more expensive cards, but that is a corporate problem, on a personal - player level, it does feel scummy to forfeit someone because they don't have the funds for the more expensive real cards. Just play and enjoy the game.
    That's fine and dandy, but the rules state that you must play with real cards. If you don't play with real cards then you're breaking the rules. I mean I am all for proxy events and I wish that they would be allowed to make it easier to play legacy, but it is what it is. I've definitely played substandard lists because of card availability. If a player is willing to knowingly break the rules by playing with fake cards who knows what other rules that person is willing to break.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

That's fine and dandy, but the rules state that you must play with real cards. If you don't play with real cards then you're breaking the rules. I mean I am all for proxy events and I wish that they would be allowed to make it easier to play legacy, but it is what it is. I've definitely played substandard lists because of card availability. If a player is willing to knowingly break the rules by playing with fake cards who knows what other rules that person is willing to break.
    Ah, yes - but as I said, but whether you see it scummy to call someone out on it is a question of the classic question To Be Lawful or Good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

The coloring was off, so I took a close look. It caught my interest because at first glance it looked weird. Upon closer inspection the printing was way off compared to US or EU printings (blurry) and the surface felt different.
    Spotting fakes if you can inspect the cards closely isn't that hard in _most_ cases. First you look at color + print patterns + card texture. If you have access to a magnifying glass, scales and a flashlight it gets easier and more accurate.
    I am not sure if you are serious and try way to hard to bring across your point of "you cannot be 100% sure though". Of course you cannot spot 100% of the fakes in a game with nothing but your eyes. Some are spottable though. We good now?

Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Ah, yes - but as I said, but whether you see it scummy to call someone out on it is a question of the classic question To Be Lawful or Good.
    Well in a tourney setting where money is on the line, I'd err on the side of Lawful just in case that person that isn't Lawful is also not Good. Allowing people to slide is how Bertocini's and Mike Longs are created. It sucks, but that's the way it is. Don't get mad at the guy upholding the rules, get mad at those who blatantly break them.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    The coloring was off, so I took a close look. It caught my interest because at first glance it looked weird. Upon closer inspection the printing was way off compared to US or EU printings (blurry) and the surface felt different.
    Spotting fakes if you can inspect the cards closely isn't that hard in _most_ cases. First you look at color + print patterns + card texture. If you have access to a magnifying glass, scales and a flashlight it gets easier and more accurate.
    I am not sure if you are serious and try way to hard to bring across your point of "you cannot be 100% sure though". Of course you cannot spot 100% of the fakes in a game with nothing but your eyes. Some are spottable though. We good now?
    You get that blurry printing from possibly too munch ink being put onto the card would make it feel different right? Would account for the bad colors too.

The real crime though was playing without sleeves where you could touch and begin an inspection mid match.

Because playing by the rules (using legal real magic cards) and calling an opponent out for not playing by those same rules is scummy /s
    If you want to compare bank accounts instead of playing Magic there's Old School right over there...

Thread Information