Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: How to save Legacy

Stackbuilder

Mar 2012

Re: How to save Legacy

Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    You get that blurry printing from possibly too munch ink being put onto the card would make it feel different right? Would account for the bad colors too.

The real crime though was playing without sleeves where you could touch and begin an inspection mid match.
    Are you into astrology? Because it looks like you are looking for a rare luminary eclipse or planetary constellation.
    Sleeves are not glued onto cards and you can talk with people.

Anyway, I am done. This is not going to get us anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JDK View Post
    Are you into astrology? Because it looks like you are looking for a rare luminary eclipse or planetary constellation.
    Sleeves are not glued onto cards and you can talk with people.

Anyway, I am done. This is not going to get us anywhere.
    I'm into this razor that says it's more likely the company known for printing problems had a printing problem.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Guys, it's over.

It's been nearly 10 years since WotC gave us a the biggest "fuck you" possible with what happened in March 2010 and the lead-up to it. If they had done that today, there would have had been hell to pay on social media, but I digress.

I've moved on; I only have an Old School deck, a completely uncompetitive painter deck with proxied CoTs and some other stuff, and Commander decks. WotC does not care about the Legacy/Vintage player.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    Guys, it's over.

It's been nearly 10 years since WotC gave us a the biggest "fuck you" possible with what happened in March 2010 and the lead-up to it. If they had done that today, there would have had been hell to pay on social media, but I digress.

I've moved on; I only have an Old School deck, a completely uncompetitive painter deck with proxied CoTs and some other stuff, and Commander decks. WotC does not care about the Legacy/Vintage player.
    Not sure where you live, but I’ve played in a 2K, a 1K and registered for a 20K in March. All of this since the SCG announcement. Legacy events are starting to organically rise in the eastern US.

Guys, it's over.

The outcome is not decided. Not yet.

But Legacy players need to wake up to the fact that this is a state of WAR and the only possible outcome is the annihilation of one side or another. If Legacy is to be saved, Modern MUST be completely, entirely destroyed, and time is on their side, not ours.

It might SEEM Modern is losing this fight since Pioneer has taken a huge chomp into the Modern playerbase, but this is the ONLY thing Legacy has going its way. WotC is backing Modern, and as long as Modern's playerbase remains significantly larger than Legacy's, that wont change and that's fatal to us. We need to deal Modern a deathblow while it's staggered. The longer this goes, the stronger Modern's position will get reinforced by WotC's support.

Even not counting the WotC factor, Modern can replenish its ranks by drawing from new players, Standard, Pioneer, AND Legacy players who go over. The ONLY playerbase that Legacy can draw from is Modern.

This is why we NEED to act NOW. Right now Modern players are jumping out. Many of them WANT to jump to Legacy, but they can't because of the dual lands. 99% of the jumpers are jumping to Pioneer. We NEED them to jump to Legacy, and the only way to get them to do that en mass is to drop the dual lands.

I went to Kadou in Beijing last Sunday. There were 35 players in the Pioneer tournament, about 20 players in the Legacy tournament, and only 2 players in the Modern tournament. I want to be encouraged by that, but the truth of the matter is that those numbers are temporary. It's instead a BAD sign that the Modern players are trying Pioneer. It means that they are not coming over to Legacy. They can't because the card availability can't sustain it. In 6 months, many of them will quit Pioneer, but that will just entrench them in Modern, just in time for Modern Horizons 2. And then WE ARE DEAD.

So the ONLY WAY we can win this war is to ANNIHILATE Modern NOW, so that those players who are dallying with Pioneer do not have a format to return to in 6 months. We need to shanghai the remaining Modern players into Legacy NOW, before Modern can regroup and are rejoined by their erstwhile comrades. If we let Modern hang around, WE ARE DEAD AND FUCKED, like Napoleon at Waterloo.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

Guys, it's over.

It's only over if you want it to be. You're in "Raincouver." Drive down to Seattle and play in our Legacy 3K THIS WEEKEND. Details here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...day-January-11

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by jiazhouhuaqiao View Post
    ...and time is on their side, not ours.
    I disagree. Formats that utilize only a small section of printed cards will never last as long as formats that use the entirety of card printings. I don't see how time is on Modern's side at all. Legacy has endured longer, and with bigger shakeups. If Legacy didn't die when Modern was good, why would it die to the shit-tornado Modern is now?

It might SEEM Modern is losing this fight since Pioneer has taken a huge chomp into the Modern playerbase, but this is the ONLY thing Legacy has going its way. WotC is backing Modern, and as long as Modern's playerbase remains significantly larger than Legacy's, that wont change and that's fatal to us. We need to deal Modern a deathblow while it's staggered. The longer this goes, the stronger Modern's position will get reinforced by WotC's support.
    Modern is terrible right now, with Oko ruining yet another format. Modern has a recurring problem that way where there just isn't enough versatility in the competitive card pool to deal with overpowered outliers.

I mean seriously, who still enjoys modern? Masochists, that's who. The format is a dumpster fire. As long as Pioneer continues to create buzz Modern is doomed to the status of the old Extended days: a competitive format on the Pro Tour (or whatever the fuck it is now) and nothing else.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post

I mean seriously, who still enjoys modern? Masochists, that's who. The format is a dumpster fire. As long as Pioneer continues to create buzz Modern is doomed to the status of the old Extended days: a competitive format on the Pro Tour (or whatever the fuck it is now) and nothing else.
    It doesn't matter that Modern is terrible when Legacy can only support 1% of the magic playerbase maximum.

Ooh... Shiny!

Aug 2005
    Raincouver

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    It's only over if you want it to be. You're in "Raincouver." Drive down to Seattle and play in our Legacy 3K THIS WEEKEND. Details here:
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...day-January-11
    brb telling my wife I'm re-buying a US$3000 deck to play a few times a year.

Setting priorities in live is impotant!

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

Me except telling myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

1) You're being dismissive, but there are more than just a few events down here, and I hear about plenty of events in Canada via the Canadian Threshold podcast. You said, "Guys, it's over," and it's clearly not.

2) Not all Legacy decks are $3,000. I'm not telling you to sell your Old School deck, but ... you have an Old School deck, so acting like $3,000 is even a dealbreaker is a little rich. How many Commander decks do you have? Do you love and need all of them? It's pretty easy to get back in if you want to, especially if you have lots of other cards.

If you chose to sell out, that was your choice. If you regret it, you can buy back in and enjoy playing in Legacy tournaments again.

bruizar

Quote Originally Posted by jiazhouhuaqiao View Post
    It doesn't matter that Modern is terrible when Legacy can only support 1% of the magic playerbase maximum.
    That 1% is the better half though!

-> Select / Prioritize / Economize

You can make that new Brainfreeze Storm deck for about 1k I think. Just replace duals with shock duals. It doesn't matter because you should combo off on turn 2 anyway and you're not relying on Ad Nauseam / life as a resource. Seriously, people underestimate how good shock lands are, especially in combo decks.

The only really expensive card is LED, and those are easy to sell back anyway.

-> Want to be more effective stop over optimizing
    https://thenextweb.com/lifehacks/201...er-optimizing/

It's all about ROI. You can over optimize with dual lands for those few times you play Legacy per year, or you just substitute for a shock dual and play a deck that's fast enough to make the damage irrelevant.

Also, Arcum's Astrolabe and Prismatic Vista has significantly reduced the cost of entry to legacy.

"Play a worse deck because you can't afford the better one" Isn't the compelling argument you think it is.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

"Play a worse deck because you can't afford the better one" Isn't the compelling argument you think it is.

"Don't be poor" is much more straightforward. No more compelling though...
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

bruizar

It doesn't matter if you win your games at 18 life instead of 16 life. The games you go to zero with a combo deck, are games where your plan was disrupted beyond repair anyway. If you can't win by turn 6 playing combo, turn 7 will be relevant a negligible amount of games..

Quote Originally Posted by bruizar View Post
    It doesn't matter if you win your games at 18 life instead of 16 life. The games you go to zero with a combo deck, are games where your plan was disrupted beyond repair anyway. If you can't win by turn 6 playing combo, turn 7 will be relevant a negligible amount of games..
    If my opponent is only dealing two damage to me then they need a better deck.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

If my opponent is only dealing two damage to me then they need a better deck.
    Many games with combo decks end before the other deck manages to deal much damage, however many games are also drawn out and in these games a couple of points of damage will make a difference (in some non-negligible percentage of games). Edit: or well, whether that's a negligible percentage of games or not is the central question here, not intending to answer it. Maybe it's negligible, maybe not. Should depend on the deck..

Modern and Legacy are comparitively priced.

You don't need to play a worse version of a deck at all.

"But dual lands are expensive" so are Caverns and fetch lands and Lilis and Goyfs and blah blah blah. Just like you don't need to play the most expensive deck in modern, and you don't need to play the most expensive deck in Legacy.
    In fact the most expensive legacy decks are actually bad. Looking at you Pox and Tezzerator.

We don't need to poach only modern players. Be open and friendly to anyone with questions. We've recently had an influx of standard/pioneer players at our locals.

I'm fact it's easy to be like "why play modern when you can play legacy for similar cost?" To ppl LOOKING at modern.

Also modern gets natural disastered like once a year. It's not much work to kill it. Now it's oko. Last time was Hogaak. Time before that was KCI. Before that Eldrazi winter. Bc it's a "turn 4 format" it's actually very easy for whatever breakout deck bc the finish line to break modern is "win by turn 3". Modern decks will constantly get bans for balancing leaving bad tastes in players mouths.

Part of the reason I'm anti- most legacy bans is because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by compacta_d View Post
    Modern and Legacy are comparitively priced.
    By "comparatively" priced you mean that we can compare them. Like we can compare the top deck in Legacy: UR Delver at 2500 dollars, and UG Whirza at 1400. A difference of over a thousand buckeroos.
    You don't need to play a worse version of a deck at all.
    Shocks are not duals. Shadow excepted.
    "But dual lands are expensive" so are Caverns and fetch lands and Lilis and Goyfs and blah blah blah.
    Caverns are sixty, Taigas are a hundred and sixty, hundred bucks per card, blah blah blah.

Thread Information