Thread: Escape Brain Freeze

Hybrid View

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

Escape Brain Freeze

Wanted to start a thread here as I think this deck has enough to be decent after a few iterations.

Underworld Breach: 1R

Each nonland card in your graveyard has escape. Escape cost is equal to the card's mana cost plus exile 3 other cards from your graveyard. At the beginning of the end step, sacrifice Underworld Breach.

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Underworld Breach

// 19 Instant
    3 Brain Freeze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    2 Snap
    2 Cunning Wish

// 17 Land
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Prismatic Vista
    4 Scalding Tarn
    1 Mountain
    3 Island
    3 Ancient Tomb

// 12 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    4 Preordain
    4 Echo of Eons

to give an example of how this would work:

The deck can durdle until it finds this new Breach card. Once it does you just need to resolve a Brain Freeze to mill yourself most of your deck. Once you've done it a few times you can brain freeze them. If they have some way to engage with you, you can use cunning wish to find another win condition.

Because the deck is already running 4 LED in a blue shell, I also added in Echo of Eons. For slower matchups you can still just cantrip a few times and possibly kill them with brain freeze anyway.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Re: Escape Brain Freeze

Instead of Cunning Wish, maybe burning wish to search up Grapeshot for the kill?

My initial list was:

4 LED
    4 Underworld Breach
    4 Brainfreeze
    1 Win Con (Grapeshot or Laboratory Maniac) or even a wish

4 Force of Will
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Daze (currently may not have enough islands to make this work? My thinking is you search up the lone Volcanic island the turn you go off to be able to cast this)
    4 Ponder

1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow Covered Swamp
    1 Snow Covered Mountain
    1 Scrub Land
    1 Plateau
    1 Badlands
    1 Volcanic Island
    4 Arid Mesa
    4 Bloodstained Mire

4 Lotus Petal

4 Enlightened Tutor (can search for LED or Underworld Breach)
    4 Infernal Tutor (if you have LED, you can use this to search for BF OR Underworld Breach)

4 Astrolab (to help with all the weird mana requirements to start going off, and provide some Wasteland protection)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

that's really clever with the e-tutor and infernal stuff. i am not sure game 1 you need any kind of other win condition besides brain freeze. (just target them with the last one, they only don't die if they have eldrazi or progenitus etc.) you can run a singleton burning wish though.

i really like the echo of eons approach too as it helps the mulligan decisions. gonna goldfish a bit on cockatrice with some different options.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    that's really clever with the e-tutor and infernal stuff. i am not sure game 1 you need any kind of other win condition besides brain freeze. (just target them with the last one, they only don't die if they have eldrazi or progenitus etc.) you can run a singleton burning wish though.

i really like the echo of eons approach too as it helps the mulligan decisions. gonna goldfish a bit on cockatrice with some different options.
    I think you would like to run at least one non-BF wincon just in case you run into an Eldrazi game 1. That would suck, having your surprise combo stopped by something a singleton in your deck could avoid.

My issue with Eons is that if you're casting it, that means you have used and sacced LED already, and it seems like this deck is going to try to go for broke - so if you already using LED it should be because you have the pieces set up to just win the game outright.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

i was also thinking that breakthrough is effectively repeatable for U, and burning inquiry can fit into more a mono red build.

something like turn 1:

mountain + rof + rof + looting -> i think there's a lot of options here.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by mistercakes View Post
    i was also thinking that breakthrough is effectively repeatable for U, and burning inquiry can fit into more a mono red build.

something like turn 1:

mountain + rof + rof + looting -> i think there's a lot of options here.
    Do they work mathematically? you essentially need to exile 6 cards for each "loop" and they only put 4/3 in your grave respectively. . .

Would be nice if one of them could function as BF 5-8, then I could replace Astrolab (and work on the mana extensively) to make the combo more solid (along with Enlightened and Infernal Tutors)

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

here's another approach:

// 60 Maindeck
    // 8 Artifact
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal

// 4 Enchantment
    4 Underworld Breach

// 16 Instant
    4 Brain Freeze
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Lightning Bolt

// 17 Land
    2 Volcanic Island
    4 Scalding Tarn
    6 Island
    4 Prismatic Vista
    1 Mountain

// 3 Planeswalker
    3 Narset, Parter of Veils

// 12 Sorcery
    4 Ponder
    4 Echo of Eons
    4 Faithless Looting

what's nice here is that you get to run 4 lightning bolt. you can brain freeze yourself enough and bolt them out of the game. going with narset as FTV mentioned is a really great way to find either part of the combo.

i think you can get 21 damage pretty easily with lightning bolts.

it's also pretty cool that you can return led to play from grave before firing off an echo.
    -rob

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    Do they work mathematically? you essentially need to exile 6 cards for each "loop" and they only put 4/3 in your grave respectively. . .

Would be nice if one of them could function as BF 5-8, then I could replace Astrolab (and work on the mana extensively) to make the combo more solid (along with Enlightened and Infernal Tutors)
    So did the math on this and actually Breakthrough does work as Brainfreeze 5-8. Since Breakthrough puts 4 cards in the grave and only costs 1 it pays for itself and add 1 extra card to the grave. After casting it 3 times, you have enough cards to exile to cast LED and repeat the process. Do this enough until you find Brainfreeze to put a whole bunch of cards in your grave and then just loop Lightning Bolts FTW.

Sep 2011

Can Wheel of Fate be Escaped for 0 mana?

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Can Wheel of Fate be Escaped for 0 mana?
    Nope

Sep 2011

If you're playing LED-Echo, you might as well add a few Narsets. It helps dig for combo pieces and randomly wins games even when you can't storm.

If you're playing 4 Burning Wish main for the kill, the wishboard could have both Grapeshot and Tendrils of Agony (crack LED for BBB) while keeping the maindeck Ur without other weird splash colors.

Thread Information