Thread: Amazon Aggro Combo

Amazon Aggro Combo

Last edited by kinda; 01-25-2020 at 09:57 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Re: Amazon Aggro Combo

Cool idea!

I'm not sure you need four Fetid Heath in the manabase, it doesn't even cast Cabal Therapy t1.

I think you should play four Green Sun's Zenith - seeing as your deck is based around a green creature combo.

I'm not sure what the singleton Tarmogoyf is doing to help you, I think having a utility creature would probably help you more - perhaps Scavenging Ooze, or something similar.

I would also go for having more castable targets for Pattern of Rebirth - perhaps something like Archon of Valor's Reach over Griselbrand. Emrakul being something that ends the game immediately is valuable, certainly, and it shuffles back in if you therapy yourself too - but Griselbrand doesn't do that in quite the same way and having multiple uncastables isn't great.

I would probably also play with the creature numbers as at a first glance the curve isn't optimal.

How does Sion interact with stuff like Control Magic or Wind Zendikon that changes something relevant when the aura is attached? Similarly, what happens with stuff like Flickerform or Oubliette?

The Sion ability will also fetch other auras like Wild Growth or curses.

If you run mana dorks or other spare bodies, then Breath of Fury could also be a way to combo ... EDIT: nevermind, that requires haste.

Edit: A while ago I had a really bad idea for using Nature's Chosen with Sram, Senior Edificer and Kor Spiritdancer. One of those might fit in with your concept.

Quote Originally Posted by hermit_druid View Post
    Cool idea!

I'm not sure you need four Fetid Heath in the manabase, it doesn't even cast Cabal Therapy t1.

I think you should play four Green Sun's Zenith - seeing as your deck is based around a green creature combo.

I'm not sure what the singleton Tarmogoyf is doing to help you, I think having a utility creature would probably help you more - perhaps Scavenging Ooze, or something similar.

I would also go for having more castable targets for Pattern of Rebirth - perhaps something like Archon of Valor's Reach over Griselbrand. Emrakul being something that ends the game immediately is valuable, certainly, and it shuffles back in if you therapy yourself too - but Griselbrand doesn't do that in quite the same way and having multiple uncastables isn't great.

I would probably also play with the creature numbers as at a first glance the curve isn't optimal.
    Hi! I'm not OP, but worked with him to build the list. Used a lot of silly shorthand, so 'heath' should be windswept heath, lol

Agree re 4 gsz and scooze too, and that should free a slot in the board. Archon is also a great idea. Goyf was just a dumb beater for when that's what you need, but I guess KotR can probably play that role.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus

[COLOR=#3E3E3E
    How does Sion interact with stuff like [/COLOR]Control Magic or Wind Zendikon that changes something relevant when the aura is attached? Similarly, what happens with stuff like Flickerform or Oubliette?

The Sion ability will also fetch other auras like Wild Growth or curses.

If you run mana dorks or other spare bodies, then Breath of Fury could also be a way to combo ... EDIT: nevermind, that requires haste.

Edit: A while ago I had a really bad idea for using Nature's Chosen with Sram, Senior Edificer and Kor Spiritdancer. One of those might fit in with your concept.
    I like the idea of running ramp auras, right now we are a little low on auras so she is likely to miss. Maybe some number of utopia sprawl would be correct.

As for the rules questions, my understanding would be that neither Control Magic or Wind Zendikon make a 1/1 for you, since the aura is not attached to a 'creature you control' but attached to a creature you don't control or a land, respectively. Flickerflorm should get you a 1/1 every time you flicker it. Oubliette would be the same, in that if Oubliette is destroyed and the rfg creature had an aura that is returning, you'll get a 1/1.
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    As for the rules questions, my understanding would be that neither Control Magic or Wind Zendikon make a 1/1 for you, since the aura is not attached to a 'creature you control' but attached to a creature you don't control or a land, respectively. Flickerflorm should get you a 1/1 every time you flicker it. Oubliette would be the same, in that if Oubliette is destroyed and the rfg creature had an aura that is returning, you'll get a 1/1.
    603.10 indicates that you check after the event. So I guess Wind Zendikon should trigger it, and Imprisoned in the moon should not.

There's also some potential for human or soldier tribal synergies.

Edit: I also think you want a pretty heavy supply of auras. (Like 12-16)

So, maybe a rampy package like:

4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Nature's chosen

4 Arbor Elf
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Siona, Captain of the Pyleas
    4 Shielded by Faith

1 Dryad Arbor

I'm not sure how the deck would fit in protection and card draw to round things out in the remaining slots.

Cool idea!

Meh.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

When can we expect a tournament report?

When can we expect a tournament report?
    When can I pencil you in for the mystery deck challenge?

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post

4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Nature's chosen

4 Arbor Elf
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Shielded by Faith

1 Dryad Arbor

I'm not sure how the deck would fit in protection and card draw to round things out in the remaining slots.
    By the time you've got 3 mana though you don't really need to find more I imagine. I do agree that 8 aura's might be light though.

@Hermit_Druid: I updated the list with 4gsz and cut goyf for scooze.

I'm very torn on if thalia is good in here.

Edit: Animate dead seems decent or rancor.

Winter Maze

Ran a list close to the one above (no thalias, more OuaT and Mom) through some practice matches. Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ufdCdvTjY

Unfortunately went 0-3 overall, one game lost to what was definitely a punt and a lot of mistakes overall so maybe not very conclusive but still. Overall impression was that the combo takes too many slots to really make sense in a more synergy-based deck like Maverick. Also executing the combo takes 6 mana over 2 turns, and that's not including the turn you actually attack with them, so it feels a tad slow. We're not playing any Thalia or other beaters other than the Knights, so the deck doesn't really have an aggro plan (no SFM, for example).

Instead, here's an alternate route, building off what kinda said about Animate Dead. We could try Siona in a more combo-focused shell with black as a stronger color. Green/white for mana dorks to ramp us, and she will find reanimation spells. That has the bonus of good synergy with pattern of rebirth as well.

Maybe...

4 Siona
    4 Shielded by Faith
    2 Pattern
    4 Animate Dead
    3 dance of the dead
    3 utopia sprawl
    4 Birds of paradise
    2 Noble
    4 entomb
    4 cabal therapy
    2 green sun's zenith
    1 scooze
    1 griselbrand
    1 archon of valor's reach
    1 archetype of endurance
    1 elesh norn
    1 ashen rider

19 lands that make mana

maaaaybe something like that? might just be a silly mishmash.
    Don't recall, Don't imagine, Don't think, Don't examine, Don't control, Rest

Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    Ran a list close to the one above (no thalias, more OuaT and Mom) through some practice matches. Youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6ufdCdvTjY

Unfortunately went 0-3 overall, one game lost to what was definitely a punt and a lot of mistakes overall so maybe not very conclusive but still. Overall impression was that the combo takes too many slots to really make sense in a more synergy-based deck like Maverick. Also executing the combo takes 6 mana over 2 turns, and that's not including the turn you actually attack with them, so it feels a tad slow. We're not playing any Thalia or other beaters other than the Knights, so the deck doesn't really have an aggro plan (no SFM, for example).

Instead, here's an alternate route, building off what kinda said about Animate Dead. We could try Siona in a more combo-focused shell with black as a stronger color. Green/white for mana dorks to ramp us, and she will find reanimation spells. That has the bonus of good synergy with pattern of rebirth as well.

Maybe...

4 Siona
    4 Shielded by Faith
    2 Pattern
    4 Animate Dead
    3 dance of the dead
    3 utopia sprawl
    4 Birds of paradise
    2 Noble
    4 entomb
    4 cabal therapy
    2 green sun's zenith
    2 spellskite
    1 griselbrand
    1 archon of valor's reach
    1 archetype of endurance
    1 elesh norn
    1 ashen rider

19 lands that make mana

maaaaybe something like that? might just be a silly mishmash.
    The video was fun, the games were very close...might even win if you put pattern on your own creatures . Are there other combos with shielded by faith in gwb?

I'll run this on Tues soon. I think the two ways to go are cut kotr and focus on the combo wins, or cut the pattern package and put in value auras. Something like this I think I'll run:

4 birds
    4 Siona, captain of the pyleas
    4 shielded by faith
    4 pattern of rebirth
    4 cabal therapy
    X Spellskite
    4 swords
    4 gsz
    3 ouat
    3 devoted druid
    1 collector ouphe
    1 scooze
    1 Emmy
    1 grizzzly or archon of valor's reach

22 Lands
    4 wasteland
    1 arbor
    2 canopy
    1 karakas
    4 Heath
    1 phyrexian tower
    3 Verdant catacombs
    2 Savannah
    1 bayou
    1 scrubland
    1 forest
    1 plains

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post

4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Nature's chosen

4 Arbor Elf
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Shielded by Faith

1 Dryad Arbor

Card draw: Kor Spiritdancer, Sram, or Enchantress effects.

Protection: Veil of Summer seems like a good magic card.

Here's an idea...

//Auras: 16
    4 Wild Growth
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Abundant Growth
    4 Shielded by Faith

//Creatures: 16
    4 Arbor Elf
    4 Sram, Senior Edificer
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    1 Gaddock Teeg
    1 Setessan Champion
    1 Knight of Autumn

//Spells: 11
    4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Once Upon a Time

//Lands: 17
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Forest
    2 Savannah
    1 Plains
    1 Karakas
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Veil of Summer
    2 Containment Priest
    2 Faerie Macabre
    1 Rest in Peace
    1 Collector Ouphe
    1 Qasali Pridemage
    1 Wilt-Leaf Liege
    1 Thornling
    2 Lignify

I ran a midrange version last night but it was too durdly. I think either in soldiers with preeminent captain or with 4 devoted druid (both let you combo in one turn) would be my next version.

4 siona, captain of the pyleas
    4 shielded by faith
    4 pattern of rebirth
    1 emmy
    1 grizzly (couldn't find archon)
    4 GSZ

3 jailer
    3 revoker
    2 ethersworn
    2 mom
    4 therapy
    4 swords
    1 bop
    1 devoted druid

2 chrome mox
    2 tomb
    1 dryad
    1 karakas
    17 L

SB
    4 leyline of the void
    1 collector ouphe
    3 thalia
    2 choke
    1 scooze
    1 thoughtseize
    1 bitterblossom
    1 carpet of flowers
    1 wreck sage

Winter Maze

Last edited by kinda; 01-29-2022 at 07:04 PM.

Winter Maze

Thread Information