Thread: Underworld Breach + Jeskai Ascendancy

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Underworld Breach + Jeskai Ascendancy

I know a lot of people are trying to find the best way to use Underworld Breach. I was thinking that this might be the missing piece to making a Jeskai Ascendancy deck work in legacy. They compliment each other quite well. Ascendancy loots every time you play a spell, which feeds the graveyard for escape costs. Most of the cards will be non-creature, non-land cards to fit the criteria. I imagine Faithless Looting and Careful Study would super-charge combo turns as well.

Just some thoughts. Does Underworld Breach make Jeskai Ascendancy a legitimate combo for legacy?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Re: Underworld Breach + Jeskai Ascendancy

It might. I'm trying to figure out whether Ascendancy would be overkill; recurring a Lion's Eye Diamond doesn't require so much dedicated support imo. Were you thinking along the lines of the Modern Ascendancy builds?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Deuce View Post
    It might. I'm trying to figure out whether Ascendancy would be overkill; recurring a Lion's Eye Diamond doesn't require so much dedicated support imo. Were you thinking along the lines of the Modern Ascendancy builds?
    I was thinking the older versions with Birds of Paradise/Fatestitcher but lately Modern versions have been focused on Emry and Urza. With the more powerful draw spells in Legacy (Faithless Looting/Careful Study/Brainstorm/Ponder) these two enchantments could essentially power each other in a loop. Green Sun's Zenith allows for some pretty absurd consistency as well.

4x LED
    4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Green Sun's Zenith
    4x Underworld Breach
    4x Jeskai Ascendancy
    4x Faithless Looting
    4x Careful Study
    4x Brainstorm

I'm not sure what the win condition would be, maybe Grapeshot. I know some versions just attacked with a massive BoP but I don't know how feasible that would be in Legacy, maybe a plan 'B'.

Mainly I just saw the synergy between Ascendancy 'looting' with each non-creature spell cast which feeds the graveyard to re-cast those spells with Underworld Breach.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Land Destruction Enthusiast
    Jul 2012
    Kennesaw, GA

I guess I'm just not sure how having to play both is better than just straight up building around 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cheese View Post
    I've been taking shitty brews and tier 2 decks to tournaments and losing with them for years now. Welcome to the club. We meet for cocktails after round 6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevestamopz View Post
    Top quality german restraint there.

If I'm at the point where I'm rage quitting, you can bet your kransky that I'm calling everyone involved a cunt.

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by Megadeus View Post
    I guess I'm just not sure how having to play both is better than just straight up building around 1.
    Redundancy and being able to go off with a small amount of resources. Something as simple as a flashback Faithless Looting with an Ascendancy could feed you an Underworld Breach, which lets you go off. Breach is a more efficient mana-costed Past in Flames, that also allows you to rebuy your Lotus Petals/LED's if you have enough graveyard to feed it. Ascendancy feeds the graveyard while having a repeatable mana source (Birds untapping.)

It could be terrible, I just thought there was enough overlap with elements each enchantment needs to work that it could potentially open up a resilient combo deck. Whether it's Legacy playable or not is definitely a stretch. I just thought it was an interesting interaction.
    Brainstorm Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Just some thoughts. Does Underworld Breach make Jeskai Ascendancy a legitimate combo for legacy?
    It certainly seems like casting breach once Ascendacy starts to go off makes fizzling extremely unlikely unless there's GY hate in play, but I'm not sure how much the strategies really overlap. Ascendancy wants creature-based durable mana to exploit the untap effect. Breach wants single shot mana so that it can be reused from the graveyard. I'm not sure that there are so many cards that are good with both.

I think there's more of a case for trying to combine Underword Breach with something like Second Sunrise since both want to turn cards over into the graveyard.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    It certainly seems like casting breach once Ascendacy starts to go off makes fizzling extremely unlikely unless there's GY hate in play, but I'm not sure how much the strategies really overlap. Ascendancy wants creature-based durable mana to exploit the untap effect. Breach wants single shot mana so that it can be reused from the graveyard. I'm not sure that there are so many cards that are good with both.
    Is there anything like Llanowar Mentor, but not locked into green and actually fast enough to be worth considering?
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/visual/2592938

I play this pile. The decks is good enough without breach, but you can change the Riddlesmith+ovalchase pack for brain freeze and underworld breach or something like that

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by atopebenidorm View Post
    http://mtggoldfish.com/deck/visual/2592938

Fixed the link for you. Also, that is a totally absurd list, but in a good way, maybe.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

You could try something with mana rocks, Emry and Riddlesmith. But frankly Riddlesmith just seems like a lower-costed Ascendancy engine if you want to go for that backup plan.

Edit: Ninja'd x2

I'd argue 4x Gamble is way better in that strategy than Jeskai Ascendancy. Gamble is really strong with LED+Echo, and it also finds Riddlesmith or Ovalchase. Jeskai costs UWR, which is not easy to pay in an 11-land deck.

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    http://mtggoldfish.com/deck/visual/2592938

Fixed the link for you. Also, that is a totally absurd list, but in a good way, maybe.
    This decklist is not a random pile of cards. I win small tournaments very easy because the opponent can't imagine a 25/24 Riddlesmith in turn 2. With jeskai ascendancy on-line you can win very easy. The T1 Emry cause your opponent search counters everywhere as fast as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by atopebenidorm View Post
    This decklist is not a random pile of cards. I win small tournaments very easy because the opponent can't imagine a 25/24 Riddlesmith in turn 2. With jeskai ascendancy on-line you can win very easy. The T1 Emry cause your opponent search counters everywhere as fast as possible.
    Along with Underworld Breach, I'd be heavily tempted to try stuff like Gamble, Salvage Titan, Lifespark Spellbomb, Artificer's Intution, Second Sunrise and Transmute Artifact + Lotus Blossom in a deck like that. Faithless Looting is probably better than all of those, and still not good enough to make the cut.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

It has been awhile. But my recollection of Ascendency combo was not so much pittering out as fragility, aka getting something countered. I see Underworld Breach as a strong anti-FoW card. It might be SB.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    It has been awhile. But my recollection of Ascendency combo was not so much pittering out as fragility, aka getting something countered. I see Underworld Breach as a strong anti-FoW card. It might be SB.
    To pull ascendancy out of the GY with breach, you'd have to cast Breach for 1R and then find RUW for the Ascendancy which is a pretty tall order. The Sevinne's Reclamation and Echo of Eons in H's list seem better for that.

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

It's pretty clear that just casting Underworld Breach is a good enough win condition. What do you gain by jamming another weird combo enchantment into your Breach deck? Another way to get blown out by Abrupt Decay?
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Quote Originally Posted by thefringthing View Post
    It's pretty clear that just casting Underworld Breach is a good enough win condition. What do you gain by jamming another weird combo enchantment into your Breach deck? Another way to get blown out by Abrupt Decay?
    Yes, that is imminently clear now. This thread is a month old and out-of-date.
    Brainstorm Realist

All the copies target you.
    Apr 2011
    Kitchener, Ontario

Serves me right for not looking at the dates! I hadn't realized how far The Source had fallen in terms of activity.
    "I'm willing to imagine a TES where Past in Flames replaces Ill-Gotten Gains entirely, and we just don't play Diminishing Returns." - me, 29/09/2011
    Founding member of Team Scrubbad: Legacy Legends

Thread Information