Thread: Deck Advise

Deck Advise

Hello Everyone,

So I just started playing magic again a couple months ago and getting back into the game. I mostly have been playing Pioneer, but since I have a bunch of older stuff, I am working on building a legacy deck too.

So this is my first time homebrewing a deck, rather than finding a decklist and building, I was hoping to get some advise on the deck I am working on.

I am trying to do a BR control deck.

So far this is what I have.

4x Pillage
    4x Lighting bolt
    4x Dreadbore
    4x Bedevil
    4x Cruel Tutor
    4x Lotus Petal
    3x Leyline of the Void
    3x Helm of Obedience
    2x Mox Diamond

4x Badlands
    4x Blood Crypts
    4x Dragonskull Summit
    3x Mountain
    3x Swamp

Only thing I have so far for Sideboard is

4x Chaos Warp

So I will say from the start, I have no intention of playing in any professional tornys or anything, just tournaments at the local game shop, so doesn't have to be a top tier deck.

So what I have so far is a 50 card deck and 4 card side board.

Looking for advise as to what to change/add to the deck. The main win condition is the Helm/Leyline combo, using all the creature/planeswalker/artifact hate to keep dangers off the board until I can get the combo off. The Chaos Warp is in the SB for the rare circumstances where I need to be able to get rid of enchantments(black and red have a big lack of being able to do so.). For the missing 10 cards, I feel like I should put in some creatures to punch my opponents in the face with but unsure what are some powerhouse creatures for the format.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated! Thanks everyone!

Re: Deck Advise

You're probably going to want 4 Leylines.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    You're probably going to want 4 Leylines.
    Okay thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how come? I figured the 3, plus the 4 tutors to dig for them? Trying to get a feel for what I would be up against in the format.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi84 View Post
    Okay thanks!

Just out of curiosity, how come? I figured the 3, plus the 4 tutors to dig for them? Trying to get a feel for what I would be up against in the format.
    Well, they're a combo piece that's free if they're in your opening hand. You can combo off on turn 3 with your mana accel.

You're also gonna need some proactive removal (aka discard) like Thoughtseize, Duress, Hymn to Tourach etc to protect your combo and hinder faster decks.

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour_Asses View Post
    Well, they're a combo piece that's free if they're in your opening hand. You can combo off on turn 3 with your mana accel.

You're also gonna need some proactive removal (aka discard) like Thoughtseize, Duress, Hymn to Tourach etc to protect your combo and hinder faster decks.
    Ok. So bump leyline to 4. Should I bump helm to 4 as well? Duress x 4(until I can get thoughtseize) is that enough discard or should I do hymns too? Do I need any creatures for this deck?

Some thoughts:
    I have a feeling this is going to turn into a BR Pox deck with a helm combo finish lol.

Your deck has lots of creature removal, some PW and some artifact removal. Hand disruption is probably where to turn to next as decks will likely otherwise be able to disrupt your game plan (or out race you), and if they do you have nothing to fall back on. Duress is a pretty good budget option. Inquisition of Kozilek is also a decent substitute, especially if you plan to choke off their mana base. Hymn can be very strong as well.

The second place to look (in my opinion) is some kind of additional threat as a backup plan. you are going all in on your combo with no fallback and minimal disruption. A good beater I think would go a long way (delve creatures can be good, or possibly the new BR escape titan, Korxa. That looks spicy and can double as disruption).

Lastly, maybe this is just because you are at a 50 card deck now, but 2 mox diamonds and 18 lands isn't right (in a 60 card deck). Unless I suck at math, I think you realistically have room for maybe 4 more non-land cards and need to fill the rest out with up to 6 more lands. Lotus petal may be ok to cut for more high impact cards, but I'm not so sure as I haven't played this deck. You or others will have to make that decision, but I feel like if you want to accelerate dark rituals would be better as they net 1 extra mana over the petals.

Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Quote Originally Posted by Digi84 View Post
    Ok. So bump leyline to 4. Should I bump helm to 4 as well? Duress x 4(until I can get thoughtseize) is that enough discard or should I do hymns too? Do I need any creatures for this deck?
    Not with the tutors, but you may want to cut 1-2 of those. You can always go with Mishra's Factory for creatures.

Honestly I think ronco is right. It's looking like a Helm Pox deck. In that case you may want to switch out the Pillages with Sinkholes as they're much more mana efficient.

Thread Information