Thread: New THB - Nightmare Shepherd

New THB - Nightmare Shepherd

Nightmare Shepherd

Does this ability work on animated non-creatures (be it enchantments from Starfield of Nyx, or any other case)?
    If I had an animated Saga that "dies" does it return as a 1/1 Enchantment creature indefinitely, or does it return as just the saga, if at all?

My understanding is it checks "as it last existed on the battlefield" but gatherer doesn't have any clarification on this one yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Re: New THB - Nightmare Shepherd

Quote Originally Posted by ronco View Post
    Nightmare Shepherd

Does this ability work on animated non-creatures (be it enchantments from Starfield of Nyx, or any other case)?
    If I had an animated Saga that "dies" does it return as a 1/1 Enchantment creature indefinitely, or does it return as just the saga, if at all?

My understanding is it checks "as it last existed on the battlefield" but gatherer doesn't have any clarification on this one yet.
    I don't have a rules citation, but I don't believe it would return as a creature at all, because the ability only sets the P/T and creature type, not setting the type to creature.

So, I believe it would simply return the Enchantment to the Battlefield, attempt to set it's P/T and creature type, fail since it isn't a Creature, and that is that. You'd just get a token version of whatever it was.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    So, I believe it would simply return the Enchantment to the Battlefield, attempt to set it's P/T and creature type, fail since it isn't a Creature, and that is that. You'd just get a token version of whatever it was.
    There are some possibilities for strange scenarios.

The ability won't put token versions of manifested instants or sorceries onto the battlefield.

If something like Opalescence is in play, then a token copy of an enchantment might have its P/T set since it's entering as a creature. (I also don't know how that works if the saga is the 5th enchantment with Starfield of Nyx.)

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    There are some possibilities for strange scenarios.

The ability won't put token versions of manifested instants or sorceries onto the battlefield.

If something like Opalescence is in play, then a token copy of an enchantment might have its P/T set since it's entering as a creature. (I also don't know how that works if the saga is the 5th enchantment with Starfield of Nyx.)
    I'm guessing it gets into layers at that point, which i am not familiar with without looking them up. Thanks for the responses, both of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    Look at the bright side, if Legacy becomes like Vintage all of us old dudes can get together, drink whiskey, and smoke cigars while we play the gentleman's format. Like an MtG speak-easy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cire View Post
    And the Reserved List causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their portfolios: and that no man might buy or sell cards or Chinese rip offs, save he made a post about the Reserved List or the number of its Threads: 666.

Thread Information