Thread: Blazing Kral

Blazing Kral

So I've got my pioneer deck together but can't play it until the end of the week, so on an unrelated note I decided to build a legacy deck instead.

The core of the deck is using Blazing Shoal and Ulrich of the Krallenhorde to make creatures bigger. Ulrich of the Krallenhorde (Kral for short) is good in the strategy because it gives you a long game plan if they have removal, and when it flips you can fight their elks.

Pattern of Rebirth gives you a plan for the Progenitus you need to enable Blazing Shoal.

Not sure on the other cards yet but here is version one, thoughts welcome!

Blazing Kral:

4 Thoughtseize
    3 Glistener Elf
    3 Monastery Swiftspear
    3 Phyrexian Crusader
    1 Scavenging Ooze
    4 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
    4 Blazing Shoal
    4 Progenitus
    3 Pattern of Rebirth
    2 Mutagenic Growth
    3 Tainted Strike
    3 Temur Battle Rage
    4 Vines of Vastwood

2 Inkmoth Nexus
    4 City of Brass
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Wooded Foothills
    2 Stomping Ground
    2 Overgrown Tomb
    2 Blood Crypt

//SB
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Helm of Obedience
    3 Abrade
    2 Sylvan Library
    4 Legion Warboss

Re: Blazing Kral

Pretty good guess to be honest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

The infect version does exist: https://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=21625&d=345199&f=LE. The midrange krenko version is what I'll be exploring.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I went 0-3 with this version, only difference is shocks over duals. I did get to win a game with hardcast ulrich vs reanimator...and one by making 10 tokens with varchild vs dnt. Not sure how to improve it...will likely look much different next time. Lost in three to dnt, karakas is a big problem.

Winter Maze

I think you need some number of Goblin Bombardment. Torbran would also be good with all the tokens you'd be getting, and makes goblin bombardment into lightning bolts.
    I'd cut 2 death's shadow, Ulrich, OUAT, add 2 goblin bombardment 2 torbran.

Fling is another card you could consider. Works well with varchild + blazing shoal. Kinda a 4 card combo at that point though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakobian View Post
    I think you need some number of Goblin Bombardment. Torbran would also be good with all the tokens you'd be getting, and makes goblin bombardment into lightning bolts.
    I'd cut 2 death's shadow, Ulrich, OUAT, add 2 goblin bombardment 2 torbran.

Fling is another card you could consider. Works well with varchild + blazing shoal. Kinda a 4 card combo at that point though.
    Cutting the decks namesake card? Nope...but otherwise sounds good.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

What about playing Orcish Lumberjack to ramp you into Kral?

Lumberjack also enables a turn 2 win via Blazing Shoal+Progenitus+Berserk.

Yes, you can quote me on "Lumberjack also enables a turn 2 win", and leave out the part where Mons's Goblin Raiders would get the same win.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    What about playing Orcish Lumberjack to ramp you into Kral?

Lumberjack also enables a turn 2 win via Blazing Shoal+Progenitus+Berserk.

Yes, you can quote me on "Lumberjack also enables a turn 2 win", and leave out the part where Mons's Goblin Raiders would get the same win.
    Running deaths shadow over turn one threats was definitely a mistake. The lumberjack version would need to be radically different though I think. Something like:

4 orcish lumberjack
    4 possibility storm
    1 thassa's oracle
    1 enter the infinite
    1 manamorphose
    1 borborygmos enraged
    1 simian spirit guide
    4 lovestruck beast
    1 rosethorn acolyte
    3 summoner's pact
    3 krenko, tin Street kingpin
    1 varchild, betrayor of kjeldor
    1 Ulrich of the krallenhorde
    2 Titania, protector of argoth
    3 blazing shoal
    2 hexdrinker
    1 berserk
    2 veil of summer
    2 mirri's guile

4 taiga
    3 ancient tomb
    4 wooded foothills
    4 arid mesa
    3 bloodstained mire
    3 forest
    2 mountain

SB
    2 veil of summer
    13 ?
    Last edited by kinda; 02-20-2020 at 12:41 PM.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

With Lumberjack you don't have to ramp into Possibility Storm combo. You could also just ramp into Kral and other fat

If you run Greater Gargadon instead of Progenitus it still pitches to Blazing Shoal but can also be cast normally and has synergy as a sac outlet (Varchild, Veteran Explorer, Titania). Gargadon combos with Varchild to come out quickly (sac Varchild, get the Survivors, sac the Survivors).

//Creatures: 21
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Lovestruck Beast
    3 Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor
    1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
    1 Questing Beast
    3 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
    4 Greater Gargadon

//Spells: 15
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Berserk
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Blazing Shoal

//Lands: 24
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    2 Taiga
    1 Badlands
    3 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Collector Ouphe
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Murderous Rider
    1 Assassin's Trophy

Synergies:

Lumberjack into T2 Titania + 5/3 Elemental

Lumberjack into T2 Kral

Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy/Gargy

1/1s + Lovestruck Beast

1/1 into T2 win (Blazing Shoal X=10 + Berserk) (12 turn 1 1/1s + 8 fetches for Dryad Arbor)

Punishing Fire + Grove

Titania + Gargy = make Elementals

Varchild/Krenko + Shoal = make a lot of 1/1s

Varchild/Krenko + Gargy = remove a lot of counters via tokens

Cabal Therapy + 1/1 tokens

Gargadon + Volrath vs StP/Terminus = put creatures in graveyard instead to recur

Lovestruck/Titania + Berserk = 10 damage trample (enough to finish many games)

With Lumberjack you don't have to ramp into Possibility Storm combo. You could also just ramp into Kral and other fat

If you run Greater Gargadon instead of Progenitus it still pitches to Blazing Shoal but can also be cast normally and has synergy as a sac outlet (Varchild, Veteran Explorer, Titania). Gargadon combos with Varchild to come out quickly (sac Varchild, get the Survivors, sac the Survivors).

//Creatures: 21
    4 Orcish Lumberjack
    4 Veteran Explorer
    4 Lovestruck Beast
    3 Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor
    1 Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin
    1 Questing Beast
    3 Titania, Protector of Argoth
    1 Ulrich of the Krallenhorde
    4 Greater Gargadon

//Spells: 15
    4 Cabal Therapy
    2 Thoughtseize
    2 Berserk
    3 Abrupt Decay
    4 Blazing Shoal

//Lands: 24
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    2 Bayou
    2 Taiga
    1 Badlands
    3 Snow-Covered Forest
    2 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows
    1 Volrath's Stronghold
    1 Dryad Arbor

//Sideboard: 15
    3 Punishing Fire
    3 Veil of Summer
    2 Collector Ouphe
    1 Thrun, the Last Troll
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Surgical Extraction
    1 Murderous Rider
    1 Assassin's Trophy

Synergies:

Lumberjack into T2 Titania + 5/3 Elemental

Lumberjack into T2 Kral

Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy/Gargy

1/1s + Lovestruck Beast

1/1 into T2 win (Blazing Shoal X=10 + Berserk) (12 turn 1 1/1s + 8 fetches for Dryad Arbor)

Punishing Fire + Grove

Titania + Gargy = make Elementals

Varchild/Krenko + Shoal = make a lot of 1/1s

Varchild/Krenko + Gargy = remove a lot of counters via tokens

Cabal Therapy + 1/1 tokens

Gargadon + Volrath vs StP/Terminus = put creatures in graveyard instead to recur

Lovestruck/Titania + Berserk = 10 damage trample (enough to finish many games)
    Gargadon is pretty cool. I was thinking possibility storm with him though since I think it’s the most powerful rg 5 drop. Titania is great too of course since it replaces the land, but everything else feels very meh to me with orcish.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Gargadon is pretty cool. I was thinking possibility storm with him though since I think it’s the most powerful rg 5 drop. Titania is great too of course since it replaces the land, but everything else feels very meh to me with orcish.
    Possibility Storm requires a narrow deck build. You need a bunch of the Adventure guys, can't play any sorceries, and can't do Shoal tricks once it resolves. It's a different deck. Kral, Blazing and Krenko are Lose-More in that, they just get in the way of the engine.

Titania's the best Lumberjack payoff that doesn't require additional support. Questing Beast seems good too (T2 Beast +1 mana open for discard or Daze). Neither are bad if you have to get there via Explorer instead of Lumberjack. You won't always draw or untap with Lumberjack.

Kral does feel meh at 5, off Lumberjack or any time. Varchild and Krenko feel meh too. But you wanted a deck with them... They use up the high-end of the curve that could go to less meh cards.

Kral does feel meh at 5, off Lumberjack or any time. Varchild and Krenko feel meh too. But you wanted a deck with them... They use up the high-end of the curve that could go to less meh cards.
    Haha, bit of background...this was built as a theme deck for our friend Karl (who self describes as Kral) to borrow. So the deck needed the Kral card of course. He only knew the lands before playing it too .

Winter Maze

Thread Information