Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Decks to Beat (2020-21) Discussion Thread

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Decks to Beat (2020-21) Discussion Thread

Anyone interested in this any more?

I wouldn't mind upkeeping it. I don't have access to the actual thread, nor can I move decks though.

Also, I am not so sure about the cut-off. As best I can tell, it was arbitrarily chooses to be 3.4%. Might be good, might not, hard to say, exactly, but I'd wonder why not just a 3.5% either? But then again, we can play that game all day until 4 or 5%.

In any case, here is the January 2020 data:

Which means 3.4% gives a cut off of (rounded) 108 points. I'd be apt to consider 3.5%, which is (rounded) 111 points.

I'd say TES gets in, Dark Depths just misses.

Top decks would be then:
    UR Delver
    Miracles
    Death and Taxes
    Eldrazi
    Grixis (Delver)
    4C Control
    Hogaak
    TES

Thoughts? Obviously I need to wait until February is well and over to compile those results.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Re: Decks to Beat? (2020 edition)

I appreciate the effort. Would be great if this was kept up to date. Oko doesn't seem to be much of an issue in legacy, just as I expected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

I'd like to do whatever I can to support this.
    Even if it means passing the torch off.

I think I remember that originally, it was done so there would be 5-6 decks to beat at a time. The metrics were all kind of wish washy before, so maybe a deeper look into that might be warranted.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    I appreciate the effort. Would be great if this was kept up to date. Oko doesn't seem to be much of an issue in legacy, just as I expected.
    Well, I think it and Veil are doing something, but are they dominating? No, not really. Keep in mind that most of the Miracles lists are running Oko themselves.

But, it hardly seems that Oko, Veil or Astrolabe are dominant. In fact, it seems the format has adjusted to either playing them, or fighting them, fairly efficiently.

Sep 2011

Thanks for doing this H! It'd be great to have the DTB section up and running again.

Quote Originally Posted by UseLess View Post
    I would guess most of those "Miracles" decks are Bant Miracles with Oko.

If you look at the Feb results so far, according to MTGTop8 and MTGGoldfish, the top 3 decks are:
    UR Delver
    Breach
    Snowko

Both Bant Snowko and 4C Snowko are top decks. Astrolabe Oko decks are doing well but not running over the format.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

It certainly seems like the following might be happening though:

Oko is being played, which means Red Blasts are really good. The decks taking advantage of that are UR and Grixis Delver.

Since many decks are playing Astrolabe and Basics, Wastelands are somewhat low, so 12 Post/Eldrazi is doing well, not to mention Moons are also low, so there is that lack of threat too.

Veil's effect is especially unclear in the data, but it might be the case that it is helping prop up Miracles lists that would otherwise we weaker to combo and/or discard?

Site Contributor

Feb 2011

Yeah I realized after making my post that the miracles lists probably contained some amount of Oko's. Still, not a problem card, just a strong one in the right decks. That meta list looks quite healthy to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice_Box View Post
    Non games are not only a common sight in Legacy, they are every decks plan. [...] Playing a deck like DnT and then complaining about "Non games" is hypocritical, because non games are your plan, you just disapprove of the way someone else is trying to achieve that same goal.

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

To me Veil shows up the most in seeing ANT and TES having swapped dominance in the results.
    For a while ANT was DTB or just barely out, with TES kinda middling behind somewhere in the masses.

Now that both your win condition in Tendrils is suspect, along with your main axis to remove the card in the form of discard is suspect, ANT has taken a hard hit.
    Meanwhile the less consistent poop out 16 Goblins deck is safer as a result. Also I've seen a number of Echo of Eons type decks being lumped in as TES, not sure what that does to the math.

But that's the most telling sign that something is up in the cardpool to see ANT drop so hard without taking all of storm decks down with it.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by PirateKing View Post
    To me Veil shows up the most in seeing ANT and TES having swapped dominance in the results.
    For a while ANT was DTB or just barely out, with TES kinda middling behind somewhere in the masses.

Now that both your win condition in Tendrils is suspect, along with your main axis to remove the card in the form of discard is suspect, ANT has taken a hard hit.
    Meanwhile the less consistent poop out 16 Goblins deck is safer as a result. Also I've seen a number of Echo of Eons type decks being lumped in as TES, not sure what that does to the math.

But that's the most telling sign that something is up in the cardpool to see ANT drop so hard without taking all of storm decks down with it.
    TCDecks categorization does indeed leave much to be desired, honestly. Most of there aren't too bad, but some of them are kind of just lumped together, or named strangely.

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

Thanks for posting! I utilize the Source quite a bit as my primary outlet, along with the LaL facebook page and the local yokels.
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Sep 2011

Also I've seen a number of Echo of Eons type decks being lumped in as TES, not sure what that does to the math.
    Not much. About 50% of those TES results are Bryant Cook.

His new build is on a hot streak. He made some big changes from older TES builds to adapt to the meta (Wishclaw Talisman over Infernal Tutor, Mox Opal, Defense Grid, Veil, Echo), but by definition whatever he's on is "TES". It still uses the signature cards of Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, and Empty. TES adapted to the meta. ANT hasn't.

That also makes the results hard to interpret. Does it mean TES is that much more dominant in this meta, or does it just mean Bryant Cook is good at storm?

Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Not much. About 50% of those TES results are Bryant Cook.

His new build is on a hot streak. He made some big changes from older TES builds to adapt to the meta (Wishclaw Talisman over Infernal Tutor, Mox Opal, Defense Grid, Veil, Echo), but by definition whatever he's on is "TES". It still uses the signature cards of Rite of Flame, Burning Wish, and Empty. TES adapted to the meta. ANT hasn't.

That also makes the results hard to interpret. Does it mean TES is that much more dominant in this meta, or does it just mean Bryant Cook is good at storm?
    No I mean, I've watched his streams, I understand the changes and why. Of course he'll be the best example of the deck. But even then, one man can't put up enough numbers to affect the results like that. It would take several players having similar success, and if we assume they are all not as skilled as their patron, then the deck must have something going for it.

But even beyond all that, I feel like you just said the same thing I said:
    TES adapted to the Veil of Summer meta. ANT hasn't.
    To which, I agree.

Sep 2011

But even then, one man can't put up enough numbers to affect the results like that. It would take several players having similar success,
    No, what I'm saying is it is one man.

Check out the MTG Goldfish Legacy metagame. TES is one of the top decks in the current meta.
    https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetyp...s-137062#paper

Then look to the right.
    13/25 of the decks are Bryant Cook.
    Most of the others are Vivarus.
    It's just 2 TES pros wrecking the meta.

On MTGTop8, which includes paper events, it's harder to parse. There's a lot of "Storm", but most aren't TES. Even some of the ones called "TES" are really ANT (Cabal Rit, Infernal Tutor, PiF, no Rite).
    https://www.mtgtop8.com/archetype?a=35&meta=39&f=LE
    Of the 8 true TES decks there, 3 are Bryant Cook. They're missing his 3rd place @ Leaving a Legacy VI, making it 4/9.

He's singlehandedly half of the recent TES results.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-24-2020 at 09:44 PM.

Aug 2015
    The woods again

Getting better source material than TCDecks provides would be good. So would transparency regarding what constitutes a "deck to beat."

I miss seeing the mods' take on what's good and what isn't, but I'm not pleased at the amount of sludge it fueled—and fueled with data ripe for cherry-picking.
    All Spells Primer under construction: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...Tl7utWpLo0/pub
    PM me if you want to contribute!
    Quote Originally Posted by TsumiBand View Post
    Just in time for Valentines Day 💝

Roses are red, violets are blue
    Omae wa mou shindeiru
    Quote Originally Posted by FourDogsinaHorseSuit View Post
    Quick question, are you also still waiting for the great pumpkin it did you finally pick it in once December hit?
    Quote Originally Posted by iatee View Post
    I am tired of malicious top 8s and it is time to put an end to the practice.

Mar 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Also, I am not so sure about the cut-off. As best I can tell, it was arbitrarily chooses to be 3.4%. Might be good, might not, hard to say, exactly, but I'd wonder why not just a 3.5% either? But then again, we can play that game all day until 4 or 5%.
    I assume it was chosen for a historic reason, then kept to enable comparison between different periods.

GrimGrin and Glissa are in a boat...

Jan 2013
    French Riviera

Quote Originally Posted by H View Post
    Anyone interested in this any more?

I wouldn't mind upkeeping it. I don't have access to the actual thread, nor can I move decks though.

In any case, here is the January 2020 data:

Which means 3.4% gives a cut off of (rounded) 108 points. I'd be apt to consider 3.5%, which is (rounded) 111 points.

I'd say TES gets in, Dark Depths just misses.

Top decks would be then:
    UR Delver
    Miracles
    Death and Taxes
    Eldrazi
    Grixis (Delver)
    4C Control
    Hogaak
    TES

Thoughts? Obviously I need to wait until February is well and over to compile those results.
    I sent a few PM to dice_box in order to have it updated... never had a response.
    I'd be glad if anyone would do this again.

The bigger question is whether or not Decks to Beat would be an actual measure of anything.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Wrath of Pie View Post
    The bigger question is whether or not Decks to Beat would be an actual measure of anything.
    That really depends on what we consider to be "actual" there.

I think it does serve a purpose, that purpose being to frame what seem to be the top performing deck of the previous month. That doesn't mean they necessarily are, but rather, simply we can capture that seeming.

In a sense, it gives us a notion of a meta to consider. From there, of course, we need to actually think further about what the expected meta would be for a given event. But at least the frame is notionally set. Like all frames, it fails to capture the whole of the picture, but it at least provides a structure to evaluate to and from.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    No, what I'm saying is it is one man.
    Not going to lie, that is so awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Well, to be 100% clear, I am not exactly a huge fan of the methodology I followed, but I also don't hate it, per se. I simply followed the previous formulation. I don't think TCDeck's parsing of the data is at all ideal in any sense, but what would be the other options?

If there was another way to aggregate the data, I'd be all for it, but I really don't want to be doing the whole thing manually.

Thread Information