Thread: FGC Stompy

FGC Stompy

So the requirements of the deck are it must run the 5 favorite cards of the namesake player: Cavern, chalice, winter orb, grizzly, hymn. The first shot to combine these is below, but let me know if you’ve got something better! Second, need to try to find someone to donation stream it...

4 chalice of the void
    3 hymn to tourach
    1 winter orb
    2 griselbrand

4 collective brutality
    4 buried alive
    4 exhume
    4 animate dead
    4 thought-knot seer
    4 reality smasher
    1 triskelion
    1 Phyrexian devourer
    2 necrotic ooze

2 cavern of souls
    4 ancient tomb
    3 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth
    2 city of traitors
    10 swamp
    2 eldrazi temple

SB
    4 leyline of the void
    2 helm of obedience
    2 unmask
    1 thought distortion
    3 liliana's triumph
    1 winter orb
    2 plague engineer
    Last edited by kinda; 03-08-2020 at 07:08 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Re: FGC Stompy

Before even looking at your list, I had a similar idea from those 5 cards.

Buried Alive into Worldgorger Dragon -> Walking Ballista is a quick win with Animate Dead. I like this better than the Phyrexian Devourer combo because you don't need to exile your library.

Reanimator Stompy

//Reanimator: 13
    4 Buried Alive
    4 Animate Dead
    3 Exhume
    2 Dance of the Dead

//Stompy: 6
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Winter Orb

//Creatures: 11
    4 Chancellor of the Annex
    4 Griselbrand
    1 Worldgorger Dragon
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Necrotic Ooze

//Spells: 7
    4 Collective Brutality
    3 Hymn to Tourach

//Mana: 23
    3 Chrome Mox
    4 Ancient Tomb
    2 City of Traitors
    2 Cavern of Souls
    8 Swamp
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Lake of the Dead

//Sideboard: 15
    4 Leyline of the Void
    2 Helm of Obedience
    3 Defense Grid
    2 Grave Titan
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Damping Sphere

Chrome Mox synergizes with Winter Orb

Titan is a good plan B through GY hate.

Chancellor + DGrid + Chalice + Orb provide mana denial to stop blue decks from disrupting you.
    Last edited by FTW; 02-27-2020 at 11:10 AM.

I like it!

miLLe!!!!!

Sep 2004
    itaLy

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Buried Alive into Worldgorger Dragon + Walking Ballista is a quick win with Animate Dead. I like this better than the Ooze combo because you don't need to exile your library.
    how do you get ballista to stick mid-combo with animate dead? it only works with dance of the dead
    miLLe!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by [reptiLe] View Post
    how do you get ballista to stick mid-combo with animate dead? it only works with dance of the dead
    You produce 100,000 Mana and ping them to death.

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by Pittplayer View Post
    You produce 100,000 Mana and ping them to death.
    That's not going to work if you Animate Dead a Ballista. It would ETB as a -1/0 and die before you could ever activate the ability, it doesn't matter how much mana you have.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

Yeah, that's a major oversight.

Here's a better fix. Replace Walking Ballista with Trinket Mage.

Buried Alive -> Worldgorger Dragon, Trinket Mage, Griselbrand
    Cast Animate Dead or Dance of the Dead on Dragon
    Get infinite mana
    Animate Trinket Mage
    Get Walking Ballista to hand
    Cast Ballista X=1000

That makes Cavern of Souls @ Construct relevant, so Caverns is more than just filler.

Site Contributor
    Jun 2013
    London

Or you can get Necrotic Ooze as the 3rd Buried Alive target and just Animate Dead that after making all the mana.
    Quote Originally Posted by CutthroatCasual View Post
    Storm was killed by Leovold
    Quote Originally Posted by LegacyIsAnEternalFormat View Post
    The power of blue is overrated...I personally play Jund and I consistently top 4 FNMs with it.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefaces View Post
    Or you can get Necrotic Ooze as the 3rd Buried Alive target and just Animate Dead that after making all the mana.
    Yeah, Necrotic Ooze works. Either way combos off with Buried Alive and only needs +1 slot in the deck. Ooze avoids getting blown out by counters on Ballista.

Needing to run DotD seems meh but combos work fine i think.
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Needing to run DotD seems meh but combos work fine i think.
    DotD is weak, but tapped Griselbrand still draws 14 cards (no Reanimate lifeloss!) and tapped Chancellor still stops spells. With Chalice and discard support too, hopefully the tempo drawback is less than in a typical Reanimator deck.

In either build you could also run Unmask for the turn 1 discard.

DotD is weak, but tapped Griselbrand still draws 14 cards (no Reanimate lifeloss!) and tapped Chancellor still stops spells. With Chalice and discard support too, hopefully the tempo drawback is less than in a typical Reanimator deck.

In either build you could also run Unmask for the turn 1 discard.
    Unmask was in the original list created by whitefaces plus 4 grizzly, I didn’t think it would be worth it but could be right.

Winter Maze

I like the idea of having an FGC oriented list, but maybe something more like the below?

3 Jace, the Mind Sculptor
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler
    2 Snapcaster Mage
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Entreat the Angels
    4 Ponder
    2 Portent
    3 Terminus
    4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    2 Predict
    2 Spell Pierce
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Arcum's Astrolabe
    3 Counterbalance
    4 Flooded Strand
    1 Mystic Sanctuary
    2 Prismatic Vista
    3 Scalding Tarn
    5 Snow-Covered Island
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Tundra
    1 Volcanic Island

1 Blue Elemental Blast
    2 Flusterstorm
    1 Force of Negation
    1 Hydroblast
    2 Monastery Mentor
    2 Pyroblast
    1 Red Elemental Blast
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Surgical Extraction
    2 Wear // Tear

As a side note, maybe we should unban Hermit Druid soon?

Jan 2017
    London

Hi! This is quite an entertaining post. At the moment I like hermit_druid's idea (the decklist, not the bit about Hermit Druid), and also the idea using Worldgorger Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by FGCmtg View Post
    Hi! This is quite an entertaining post. At the moment I like hermit_druid's idea (the decklist, not the bit about Hermit Druid), and also the idea using Worldgorger Dragon.
    It's cool but I much prefer the eldrazi version here.

Winter Maze

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

You can see Kinda's build live here, momentarily, being streamed now by Ark411. If you miss it, you can always catch the VOD later.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

Sep 2011

The Buried Alive combo part looks pretty bad and is easily hated out, while the Black Stompy aspects looked much stronger. The deck looked its best when it was casting discard spells and BigDrazi, and weakest drawing its graveyard-dependent stuff.

Oko is a real problem and monoblack has limited ways to deal with it. Murderous Rider might be good in the board.

Karn, the Great Creator probably belongs in the main and would also help find the Helm of Obedience for the HelmLine kill.

The Buried Alive combo part looks pretty bad and is easily hated out, while the Black Stompy aspects looked much stronger. The deck looked its best when it was casting discard spells and BigDrazi, and weakest drawing its graveyard-dependent stuff.

Oko is a real problem and monoblack has limited ways to deal with it. Murderous Rider might be good in the board.

Karn, the Great Creator probably belongs in the main and would also help find the Helm of Obedience for the HelmLine kill.
    Sure but without the reanimator package I'm not sure how to fit in griselbrand which is a core deck requirement.

Murderous rider or something else to get rid of oko is definitely needed. The oko games were brutal.

Winter Maze

Thread Information