Thread: [SCD]Bazaar Trademage

Hybrid View

Bald. Bearded. Moderator.
    Nov 2010
    Hell in a Nutshell

[SCD]Bazaar Trademage

Is this card Legacy playable? I would think that there has to be a way to take advantage of a Bazaar of Baghdad effect tied to an aggressively costed creature as a 3/4 for 2U. It can be reanimated for cheap (Reanimate, Unearth) and even 3 mana isn't too much to ask in legacy. In particular it single-handedly allows free Hollow One's and is a creature spell to trigger Vengevines.

So the question is this: how to glue these cards together to make a fast, aggressive graveyard deck?

Vengevine
    Hollow One
    Bazaar Trademage

Would it ever be anything but a worse version of Hogaak?
    Brainstorm Realist

I close my eyes and sink within myself, relive the gift of precious memories, in need of a fix called innocence. - Chuck Shuldiner

Re: [SCD]Bazaar Trademage

It seems like it could fit into decks with Heartless Summoning or maybe Emry, Lurker of the Loch and Champion of Wits.

I think that the "fast aggressive graveyard deck" slot has got some very strong options with dredge and reanimator that are going to be hard to dislodge.

Honestly, it might not be a terrible option if you want to try faerie stompy.

It's true that 3 mana is possible in legacy, but it's a lot. Is Trademage going to make as much of a difference as something like Oko?

Hymn-Slinging Mod
    Sep 2008
    The U-easy-anna

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Honestly, it might not be a terrible option if you want to try faerie stompy.

It's true that 3 mana is possible in legacy, but it's a lot. Is Trademage going to make as much of a difference as something like Oko?
    We actually had a local play a version of Sea Stompy a couple weeks ago, and despite not having a sideboard made, he didn't do that badly (4-2 in round robin play).

I feel like something tuned could likely be a decent tier 2 deck. I know he was playing the Trademage, but I don't think he had Hollow Ones.
    "The Ancients teach us that if we can but last, we shall prevail."
    Kaysa, Elder Druid of the Juniper Order

May 2015
    PDX

I think it’s be pretty hard to find a niche for this deck when you directly compare it to the escape-Ox and LED, which has turn 0 capabilities. The card is too slow for Rootwalla, and once you’re going that slow you kinda need controlling elements to survive, which makes losing 2 total cards from hand (draw 2, discard 3 and -1 addition card being the 3/4 leaving hand) not the best plan.
    The benefit of a slow-starting strategy should be increased hand size, and this card kinda ruins the one thing you had going for you. I don’t think you can even begin thinking about this card without ideas like Entomb target Vengeful Pharaoh since you’re so very dead to Goyf otherwise.

Sep 2011

Could this work in an Ancient Tomb deck with controlling elements of Chalice of the Void and Thorn of Amethyst backed by some combination of creatures like:

Bazaar Trademage
    Vengevine
    Hollow One
    Street Wraith
    Champion of Wits
    Neheb, Dreadhorde Champion
    Ox of Agonas
    Magus of the Wheel
    Anje's Ravager
    Rowdy Crew
    Skaab Ruinator
    Dack Fayden

With a critical mass of those draw/discard effects maybe you could cobble together an engine and make up for the card disadvantage and variance. Cards like Ox are even hardcastable in a Tomb deck.

The green Ancestral
    Mar 2010
    Seattle, WA

I was considering trying it out post-board in Breach, but now we'll never know how that would've turned out.

I think the card could be playable in a Punishing Dack or Loam shell. Discarding fuels Escape, and Uro is very good.

Global Moderator
    Nov 2009
    Copenhagen

I think the only way to make a deck with this guy that isn't strictly worse than hogaak is to approach the game on a slightly different axis.

I've tried to fit this into cloudvine builds, but I've struggled to make it work. It's possible I was too all in on this guy.

I think the key is to try and evaluate cards where this guy is a great mid and late game draw, and less about how to get an explosive turn 2.
    -rob

Thread Information