Thread: Quarantine, aka COVID Stompy

Sep 2011

Quarantine, aka COVID Stompy

Snowko was already strong before. Now with Breach's banning, Oko decks have even less natural competition.

4C Snowko, BUG Snowko, RUG Delver Oko, BUG Delver Oko, RUG Painter Snowko, BUG Zenith Oko, 4C LoamKo, Bant OkoBlade, Snowko & Tell....

So how do we beat Oko + Astrolabe Xerox decks?
    Let's punish greedy manabases, activated abilities and Xerox cantrips with CVOID (Chalice of the Void) and Suppression Field.

//Mana: 24
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 City of Traitors
    2 Karakas
    9 Plains

//Lockdown: 9
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Suppression Field
    1 Quarantine Field

//Social Distancing Police: 14
    4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    1 Tomik, Distinguished Advokist
    3 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Aven Mindcensor
    3 Palace Jailer

//EMTs: 6
    3 Aerial Responder

//Forecasters: 4
    4 Thought-Knot Seer

//Army: 6
    3 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Militia Bugler
    1 Daru Warchief

//Sideboard - When all else fails: 15
    //Medics: 7
    2 Containment Priest
    1 Remorseful Cleric
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Leonin Arbiter

//Death: 2
    1 Faerie Macabre
    1 Tormod's Crypt

//End of Days: 6
    1 Holy Light
    1 Cast Out
    2 Deafening Silence
    2 Armageddon

Card Choices:
    Suppression Field: Shuts off fetchlands, Wasteland, Oko, Karn, equipment, and many other things

Chalice of the Void: Shuts off cantrips, Astrolabe and combo

Cavern of Souls: Naming Soldier or Human protects most of your white creatures. Also produces colorless mana for TKS.

Thalia, Guardian of Thraben: Hates on cantrips, walkers, combo and other spell-heavy decks

Thalia, Heretic Cathar: Hates on fetchlands even more. Stops Sneak Attack and similar hasty combos. Blockers ETB tapped.

Phyrexian Revoker: More activated ability hate for Oko, Astrolabe, Karn, equipment, etc

Thought-Knot Seer: Hand control

Palace Jailer: Board control and card draw

Recruiter of the Guard: All-purpose tutor

Militia Bugler: Card draw with more variance than Recruiter but a better body

Daru Warchief: Tutorable Lord effect for ground battles. Also reduces costs

Aven Mindcensor/Leonin Arbiter: Even more hate for fetchlands. Also hates on GSZ, Prime Time, SFM and other things.

Armageddon: Tool for ramp and control matchups when they try to stockpile many lands to play through disruption.

Quarantine Field: Flavor. Pitches to Chrome Mox. Makes space to board in cards G2.

Note: This is NOT White Eldrazi/Thalia Stompy because it doesn't want cards like Eldrazi Displacer or Eldrazi Temple, instead running Suppression Field and more white cards.

This is also not Soldier Stompy as it wants to run more hate and less durdle, although it's close to Soldier Stompy. The problem with Soldier Stompy is you're forced to run 30 Soldiers to make Enlistment Officer any good and the Preeminent Captain engine is high variance. Meanwhile white has a lot of good non-Soldier hatebears.
    Last edited by FTW; 03-21-2020 at 10:33 AM.

Feb 2020
    Madison, WI

Re: Quarantine, aka COVID Stompy

Hahaha, this is so much fun.

With some pretty great tax effects and a higher-than-average curve, have you considered Trinisphere? I haven't tested any of this yet so I don't know how dissynergistic it would be, but it might be a fun "social distancing" card?
    Quote Originally Posted by aslidsiksoraksi View Post
    He doesn’t have wasteland this turn, but he finds it the next. And wastes my Maze. I do get 1 zombie, but apparently stealing a zombie is just an act of petty theft? Seems like kind of a big theft to me since it stole the whole game... I die.

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by alec View Post
    Hahaha, this is so much fun.

With some pretty great tax effects and a higher-than-average curve, have you considered Trinisphere? I haven't tested any of this yet so I don't know how dissynergistic it would be, but it might be a fun "social distancing" card?
    Yeah Trinisphere was on the list of cards that just barely missed the cut for SB (along with Thorn of Amethyst and Vryn Wingmare), opting for Deafening Silence instead. There's probably room.

Im loving it!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Quarantine, aka COVID Stompy

Last edited by JackaBo; 03-22-2020 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Misclick

I'd cut 2-3 aerial responder for preeminent captain, there's enough soldiers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Thread Information