Thread: Hunting Squee

Hunting Squee

So I feel like enchantments are well positioned right now (read won't become elks). The goal of this deck is to assemble using commune with the gods either squee plus food chain or hunting grounds plus grizzly. Commune and vessel fill up your yard which helps with hunting, squee, and p fire.

4 hunting grounds
    1 emrakul, the aeons torn
    3 griselbrand
    1 grave titan
    4 swords to plowshares
    4 commune with the gods
    4 food chain
    4 squee, the immortal
    4 once upon a time
    4 vessel of nascency
    3 punishing fire
    1 walking ballista
    1 fierce empath
    2 recruiter of the guard

4 chrome mox
    4 grove of the burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 forest
    2 savannah
    2 taiga
    2 plateau
    4 windswept heath

SB:
    3 red elemental blast
    3 defense of the heart
    4 tormod's crypt
    4 deafening silence
    1 progenitus
    Last edited by kinda; 03-25-2020 at 07:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Re: Hunting Squee

More fetchlands seem like the easiest way to fill the graveyard for threshold. Cantrips would help. You're in Naya unfortunately but there's still Faithless Looting.

Utopia Sprawl on a snow-Forest may be good for mana fixing in a deck that wants enchantments over Astrolabe. Abundant Growth is another option.

Enlightened Tutor finds Hunting Grounds or Food Chain and fills the yard.

If you consider Bant instead of Naya, you'd have blue cantrips, Misthollow Griffin instead of Squee, possible countermagic, and Show and Tell backup plan. If you keep Red instead of blue, you have Stronghold Gambit as a possible SB plan. Maybe even Eureka or Elvish Piper.

Destiny Spinner makes your combo uncounterable, forcing opponent to counter or remove it first.

Overall Hunting Grounds just seems a lot more vulnerable a combo. It's a Show and Tell that leaves you more vulnerable to grave hate and Abrupt Decay. It has no interaction with the Food Chain combo. Food Chain seems like a stronger line.

Staying in Naya...

//Spells: 16
    4 Faithless Looting
    3 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Commune with the Gods
    3 Punishing Fire

//Enchantments: 12
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Food Chain
    1 Hunting Grounds
    1 Sterling Grove
    1 City of Solitude
    1 Ghostly Prison

//Creatures: 12
    3 Destiny Spinner
    4 Squee the Immortal
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Fierce Empath
    1 Walking Ballista
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn

//Lands: 20
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Prismatic Vista
    2 Snow-Covered Forest
    1 Snow-Covered Plains
    1 Snow-Covered Mountain
    1 Taiga
    1 Savannah
    1 Plateau
    3 Grove of the Burnwillows

It looks pretty weak though.

A good enchantment combo to run right now is Rest in Peace+Energy Field, with tutorable Helm of Obedience finish. That's relatively immune to Oko and lets you run FoW, Brainstorm, Terminus, and other goodies.

May 2015
    PDX

I don‘t think you can really beat Oko with an enchantment [Hunting Grounds] that allows you to cheat a creature they can immediately [+1] on into play. Grave Titan-type cards are fine since you‘re making 7 power vs an Oko (but this can‘t race an Uro followup, which you know they‘ll play).

Permission is absent so you have to stack the deck up to Enchantress. Their deck has a much higher incidence of engine cards which get better in multiples (ramp + card draw engine) and invest fewer slots into cards that ‘go big.‘ You‘ve got a pretty large amount of cards that get worse in multiples (Squee, Food Chain, Destiny Spinner), and that‘ll be hard to overcome. There‘s also a pretty high amount of draws that don‘t help you ‘do the thing‘ (but they do meet the ‘don‘t die to a Goyf‘ requirement of deckbuilding).

So you‘ve got the hybrid problem again where Enchantress does the combo/engine better and Food Chain is a much better deck at making the tools come together (pitch to exile w/ FoW, fixing topdecks with Manipulate Fate). Both also answer the ‘dies to Goyf‘ test in their own velocity-positive ways, while your list is coming to a complete stop to waste a drawstep on Plow (whatever Enchantress does to overcome Goyf will draw a card, and Food Chain will either use a deathtouch etb-value wall to stop a Goyf or get transmuted into beginning of the Food Chain sequence). So your deck does both of the things, but in a much slower way, without achieving it‘s goals in a significantly novel way.

Sep 2011

The Hunting Grounds/Enchantment engine just seems too weak. It requires too many slots to set up, using mediocre cards, only to be a worse version of Show and Tell.

But Food Chain into Walking Ballista is a viable deck, and the enchantment tutors would let you run Heliod, Sun-Crowned as another combo engine with Ballista.

I added some fetches and played 4 games online going 3-1. Not a huge sample obviously but the deck functions fine. I do really like the ballista+heliod inclusion, will try this version if I can borrow cards. I've got some pics on twitter: https://twitter.com/NKrenko . I'm not thrilled with the sb.

My current list:

4 hunting grounds
    3 griselbrand
    1 iona, shield of emeria
    4 swords to plowshares
    4 commune with the gods
    4 food chain
    4 squee, the immortal
    3 once upon a time
    4 vessel of nascency
    2 punishing fire
    3 living wish
    2 moat
    1 elvish piper

3 chrome mox
    3 grove of the burnwillows
    1 Karakas
    1 forest
    1 plains
    1 mountain
    2 savannah
    1 taiga
    1 plateau
    2 windswept heath
    2 wooded foothills
    3 arid mesa

SB:
    1 Elvish piper
    1 eternal scourge
    1 emrakul, the aeons torn
    1 progenitus
    1 karakas
    1 abrade
    1 wreck sage
    2 red elemental blast
    3 faerie macabre
    3 deafening silence
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sep 2011

Interesting. What decks did you face?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Interesting. What decks did you face?
    1-0 vs ur delver, 1-0 vs bug snoko, 1-1 vs uwg omni tell. Being able to just run out hunting grounds turn one or two is sweet, plays out quite differently to snt.

Winter Maze

Managed to win my match vs. Phil (ThrabenU) in his "Phil vs. Subs" event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhb0f_oDWxo. Minutes 6 to 23.

Winter Maze

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Managed to win my match vs. Phil (ThrabenU) in his "Phil vs. Subs" event: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhb0f_oDWxo. Minutes 6 to 23.
    Fun match! Hunting Grounds does look very strong if you can support it.

The 1-of Elvish Piper is also hilarious. Phil was really caught off guard.

Does your deck want Sterling Grove to both protect your combo enchantments and tutor for them?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Fun match! Hunting Grounds does look very strong if you can support it.

The 1-of Elvish Piper is also hilarious. Phil was really caught off guard.

Does your deck want Sterling Grove to both protect your combo enchantments and tutor for them?
    Thx! I could see grove being good.

Winter Maze

Thread Information