Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curse Stompy! (Meme Deck, or, maybe not...)

Sep 2011

Re: Curse Stompy! (Meme Deck, or, maybe not...)

Deck looks a lot better with the extra Plague Engineer and the Chains and Ifnir.

If you're losing to Show and Tell, what about some Plaguecrafter in the SB. The only advantage over To The Slaughter is it comes down for free off SnT and won't be countered, but maybe that's not enough.

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Deck looks a lot better with the extra Plague Engineer and the Chains and Ifnir.

If you're losing to Show and Tell, what about some Plaguecrafter in the SB. The only advantage over To The Slaughter is it comes down for free off SnT and won't be countered, but maybe that's not enough.
    Plague crafter much worse at answering marit lage than to the slaughter. The deck is also reasonably good at enabling delirium if the opponent is interacting with you. Show & tell actually isn't a bad matchup, since I also beat one 2-0 in the same prelim. There was just lots of it.

Primarily this decks loses to Eldrazi, depths, and oko + >2 natural force of wills, delver OTD + multiple wastelands. For that reason I am trying a spyglass main.

If you want to see the updated list in action, donated the list to legacy_council and he almost 5-0'd with it again (losing an extremely close game 3 vs maverick with all the hate)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/590475777

5-0'd for the third time with this deck, and by no means am I a pro pilot. Snoko killing delver/depths and encouraging combo is really nice for this deck's spot in the meta.

https://twitter.com/reeplcheep/statu...60956304281602 for matchups, list and a spicy screen shot.

Any comments?

Tundra Player
    Feb 2011
    Atlanta

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    5-0'd for the third time with this deck, and by no means am I a pro pilot. Snoko killing delver/depths and encouraging combo is really nice for this deck's spot in the meta.

https://twitter.com/reeplcheep/statu...60956304281602 for matchups, list and a spicy screen shot.

Any comments?
    I love that this deck is still doing well, curious how well Read the Bones is doing compared to the original Night's Whisper. I guess in this deck the casting cost is pretty much the same most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by alphastryk View Post
    I love that this deck is still doing well, curious how well Read the Bones is doing compared to the original Night's Whisper. I guess in this deck the casting cost is pretty much the same most of the time.
    The thought is you have lots of dead cards so the scry 2 is very important. Nights whisper is better in case you have mox and not sol land t1 but often you are playing chalice in that situation. I really like treacherous blessing in that slot vs combo but the long games vs control it will just kill you. That slot is definitely what I am least sure about.

Have done lots of work on the deck, due to companions being op had to do a total redesign to accommodate yorion. At least suppression field is really hot rn so adding white doesn't hurt that much.

Will post once I have more results.

After many 4-1s finally got the 5-0 with yorion curses. Cast out/sevinnes/prism/silent clearing are there as smoothing that doesn't care about chalice. Suppresion field is the 9-12 copies of t1 hate piece and is very strong right now. Caverns are extra sol lands and petals are extra fast mana. The rest of the deck is just good etbs, and animate dead is a tutorable way to get back yorion if fow'd. Animate dead + yorion is also a worldgorger dragon like loop which doubles all your etbs every turn.

Edit: ok images aren't working list here:

1 Cruel Reality
    4 Trinisphere
    2 Gemstone Caverns
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Scrubland
    1 Animate Dead
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Dark Ritual
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Lotus Petal
    3 Karakas
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    4 Suppression Field
    3 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Concealed Courtyard
    4 Oath of Kaya
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    4 Silent Clearing
    4 Trial of Ambition
    4 Heliod's Pilgrim
    2 Sevinne's Reclamation
    3 Prophetic Prism
    4 Cast Out
    1 Hall of Heliod's Generosity

1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
    1 Curse of Exhaustion
    3 Sudden Death
    3 Davriel, Rogue Shadowmage
    2 Mindbreak Trap
    2 Stony Silence
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    2 Plague Engineer
    Last edited by H; 05-12-2020 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Fixed the card tags for you.

Sep 2011

Yorion with your removal suite is great tech. Looks like you found a way to handle creatures!

Sudden Death also looks like great tech to beat Lurrus (no Karakas or counters) and Zirda (can't combo off in response with extra mana). With both banned now, would you still keep Sudden Death or change it to something else?

Your deck seems low in card draw.

Your deck seems low in card draw.
    I agree for an 80 card deck no card draw is rough. Pivoted to UB over WB for the post lurrus pre nerf meta. Losing 3ball is rough but estrids & force of will are great. Omen of the sea is great consistency engine for a non loam chalice deck.

Decklist:

4 Baleful Strix
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    2 Gemstone Caverns
    1 Prophetic Prism
    4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Snow-Covered Island
    4 Estrid's Invocation
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Omen of the Sea
    4 Polluted Delta
    4 Force of Will
    4 Snow-Covered Swamp
    3 Underground Sea
    4 Darkwater Catacombs
    1 Prophetic Prism
    4 Disinformation Campaign
    1 Cruel Reality
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    2 Elspeth's Nightmare
    4 Trial of Ambition
    2 Force of Negation
    2 Medomai's Prophecy

1 Curse of Exhaustion
    1 Yorion, Sky Nomad
    4 Grafdigger's Cage
    4 Plague Engineer
    2 Mystical Dispute
    2 Drown in the Loch
    1 Unmoored Ego

Went 6-3 with this in the lotus box tourney yesterday, for 26th out of 209. MU were RUG Delver 2-1, RUG Delver 1-2, Keruga RG Eldrazi 2-0, Jegantha elves 2-1, Hogaak 1-2, Gryuda 0-2, RG lands 2-1, Gyruda 2-1, Food chain 2-1.

Most of my losses were to keeping 1 or 2 landers and no mana sources in top 5-7 cards, which is just bad beats. Remaining loses were just the issues of 80 card decks finding their hate vs 1 dimension decks like gyruda/hogaak.

Since the yorion nerf tried to make 60 card estrid's invocation + curses work but the manabase was to inconsistent. Pretty consistently negative winrate. Additionally the estrid's invocation engine was really great when it worked but trying to outgrind uro/oko seems like a fools errand in this deck considering how much fast mana/card disadvantage it has.

Switched back to mono-black which is a much more focused t1 lock piece t2/t3 win the game card build. Winrate shot back up to ~65% and i got a 5-0 within 3 leagues. Eliminate is an excellent addition to the deck. Against big mana non-blue decks it can look bad (can't answer lage/chandra/karn/tks) but having an efficient answer in stompy to oko is unprecented. Moon stompy can run pyroblast post-board but then they have to cut chalice.

8 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    3 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Cruel Reality
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Dark Ritual
    2 Helm of Obedience
    4 Chrome Mox
    2 Eliminate
    1 Curse of Fool's Wisdom
    3 Castle Locthwain
    2 Murderous Rider

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Curse of Exhaustion
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Vault of Whispers
    4 Plague Engineer
    1 Necromentia
    2 Eliminate
    Last edited by Reeplcheep; 07-21-2020 at 09:13 AM. Reason: card syntax

Main-deck Leyline and no love for Ill-Gotten Gains? :)

That's one of my all-time favorite combos!

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Keller View Post
    Main-deck Leyline and no love for Ill-Gotten Gains? :)

That's one of my all-time favorite combos!
    Win-more? If you have Leyline, you can already win the game with Karn or Helm. Meanwhile IGG seems bad without Leyline.

@OP: I saw an interesting NicFit list using Academy Rector + Cabal Therapy with the Curse package. But Stompy is probably better positioned in this meta than Nic Fit.

Yes i have seen the curse fit builds but prefer stompy as you have way more game against combo. Thiago on twitter seems to be the main guy.

I tried out IGG for black count (unlike helm can be pitched to chrome mox, which is very important) but as FTW said its so bad as a fair card and as a combo it doesn't win compared to helm. Unlike DETH we don't have LEDs or Infernal tutor to make it a fair win card.

Any other comments FTW? I mostly lose to delver and was wondering best way to deal with it. Is 4 grid in the board reasonable? This deck destroys fair non-blue and most combo except depths.

Curse Stompy! (Meme Deck, or, maybe not...)

If you lose to delver you need two thing; reliable mana to beat soft permission and removal to buy yourself time. You seem to have #1 so just run more riderd, eliminate and deluge/dow in main and board.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    If you lose to delver you need two thing; reliable mana to beat soft permission and removal to buy yourself time. You seem to have #1 so just run more riderd, eliminate and deluge/dow in main and board.
    Don't have enough snow permanents to run dow. Deluge is good but was wondering if it was too iffy in a tomb deck. Riders are often too slow or you don't have BB, you kill their oko and they just play another one and hit you for 3. Probably more eliminates and snuff outs/fatal push might be good.

Sep 2011

You already have 2 Rider + 2 Eliminate main and 2 Eliminate SB. Seems good for removal.

Grid does protect your big plays, but it costs a lot of SB space.

Do you need 4x Plague Engineer? What are the big tribal decks you worry about? If you cut down that could make room for 1-2 Deluge.

Maybe also -1 Castle +1 Swamp to have more stable early mana. Stumbling on early mana will make Delver harder.

You already have 2 Rider + 2 Eliminate main and 2 Eliminate SB. Seems good for removal.

Grid does protect your big plays, but it costs a lot of SB space.

Do you need 4x Plague Engineer? What are the big tribal decks you worry about? If you cut down that could make room for 1-2 Deluge.

Maybe also -1 Castle +1 Swamp to have more stable early mana. Stumbling on early mana will make Delver harder.
    Went down to 2 castles, feels better thanks.

4 Plague engineer is for sideboard mapping reasons; you only have lots of cuts vs decks that don't care about 3ball & chalice, and those decks usually die to plague engineer. I don't think I have 6 cards to cut vs blue decks. Vs delver my only bad cards main are the karns, one of which i replace with the sideboard helm so I should really only have 3 things to bring in vs delver.

Comparatively, for moon stompy/loam/goblins i have at least 8-9 bad md cards i would like to cut (3balls/grids/chalice).

Perhaps that is as wrong approach but I think it makes more sense to tune md for blue decks rather than side (since you have few things to cut). Considering grids over removal/4th 3ball main for that reason.

If people are interested in seeing how it plays i just beat jarvis_yu with it on stream. (He was on humans)

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/686647778?t=2h53m39s

Sep 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    4 Plague engineer is for sideboard mapping reasons; you only have lots of cuts vs decks that don't care about 3ball & chalice, and those decks usually die to plague engineer.
    Makes sense. Just wondering if 2 Plague + 2 Deluge or 3 Plague + 1 Deluge would answer a wider range of decks than 4 Plague? Or is Plague Engineer better for those matches to have a body?

Perhaps that is as wrong approach but I think it makes more sense to tune md for blue decks rather than side (since you have few things to cut). Considering grids over removal/4th 3ball main for that reason.
    I think cutting 3ball for Grid seems wrong, since 3ball just murders any tempo deck even more than Grid.

Cutting removal for Grid could work if you want to play towards protecting a big threat (Karn, Helm, Curse) instead of disrupting their threats. The only drawback is Oko can break all your resistors, and you need removal for Oko.

How good is the Curse of Fool's Wisdom main?

Have you ever tried Torment of Scarabs? I can't tell if that card is too slow to be impactful vs if killing noncreatures and being hardcastable are worth it.

Makes sense. Just wondering if 2 Plague + 2 Deluge or 3 Plague + 1 Deluge would answer a wider range of decks than 4 Plague? Or is Plague Engineer better for those matches to have a body?

I think cutting 3ball for Grid seems wrong, since 3ball just murders any tempo deck even more than Grid.

Cutting removal for Grid could work if you want to play towards protecting a big threat (Karn, Helm, Curse) instead of disrupting their threats. The only drawback is Oko can break all your resistors, and you need removal for Oko.

How good is the Curse of Fool's Wisdom main?

Have you ever tried Torment of Scarabs? I can't tell if that card is too slow to be impactful vs if killing noncreatures and being hardcastable are worth it.
    Plague Engineer: Vs D&T, Goblins and Elves being a permanent, creature effect matters a ton more than a wipe they can rebuild from. Additionally i assume they will cut removal game 1 so engineer gets stronger. Most decks with creatures bigger than 1/1s are probably those where chalice is not worth cutting imo, except for maverick & eldrazi. Could definitely cut plague for 1 deluge to bring in vs delver.

Grid: Sometimes i lose where they go t1 delver, and if i t1 2ball OTD it hurts because they can literally just counter every spell i play after that if i have to tap tomb to cast through the ball. Grid plays better with dark ritual so thats why i was considering a 2/3 split. Like tomb grid, t2 swamp rit curse is considerably stronger than t1 swamp drit 3ball, t2 swamp pass, t3 tomb curse. But allowing them to still cantrip is obviously bad too. Could go to a 1 grid /4 ball split. I cut balls since i have found 10 or more artifact lock pieces (chalice/3ball/grid) is too many since you have a lot of hands with lands and 3 lock pieces that doesn't do much of anything unless you topdeck a threat or answer

Fools Wisdom is A. MTGO is horribly bugged so cruel reality does not do damage for the last 3 weeks and B. Otherwise you are dead in the water to klothys and C. Having a curse that combo sort of cares about main but not as embarassing as exhaustion is nice. If A. was fixed I may cut it, not sure.

If torment was worded like cruel reality i would consider it, but I have almost no lifetotal pressure so it will likely not do anything till t7 when they are at 3.

Thread Information