Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curse Stompy! (Meme Deck, or, maybe not...)

Re: Curse Stompy! (Meme Deck, or, maybe not...)

Played in today's challenge. Got extremely lucky with MUs in the swiss to dodge fair blue, only unfair decks & fair non-blue so I placed 5th out of 63. In quarterfinals I faced depths, which as you can see above I decided in deckbuilding was a mu to just hope to dodge. Lost 1-2. Very happy with results, hopefully this will make people consider this a real stompy alternative to titan or moon stompy in unfair metas.

Could post a more detailed report if their is interest

Sep 2011

Great results!

Don't know what you could do about Depths other than maybe To the Slaughter SB?

Quote Originally Posted by Reeplcheep View Post
    Played in today's challenge. Got extremely lucky with MUs in the swiss to dodge fair blue, only unfair decks & fair non-blue so I placed 5th out of 63. In quarterfinals I faced depths, which as you can see above I decided in deckbuilding was a mu to just hope to dodge. Lost 1-2. Very happy with results, hopefully this will make people consider this a real stompy alternative to titan or moon stompy in unfair metas.

Great results, i'm interested!
    Is there a discord for this deck?

Please do!

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Please do!
    Tournament report for 8th in the 07/25/2020 MTGO Legacy Challenge.
    This list is not that different from prior mono-b lists; except M21 gave us eliminate which is an perfect addition for this deck. Having a card that answers delver, teeg, goyf, kotr, 3feri, & oko cleanly is huge for a stompy deck, without having to cut chalices for pyroblasts like moon stompy. Liked it so much (and rug being everywhere) meant I went up to 4. That was not enough in some leagues so I added on 2 murderous riders. Goal for this tournament was to top 32 so that I could garner more interest in the deck and make people see it as a legitimate alternative to titan/urza/moon stompy for certain metas.

R1: ttetera on burn
    G1 OTD. They t1 swiftspear, my t1 chalice is essentially gg. Eventually I draw rider to clean up the swiftspear and shut the door with lifelink. W on T6
    G2. Don’t remember much, I think they just had a super fast hand with an answer to chalice. L on T5
    G3. Had t2 curse of fools wisdom with any mana source, but wiffed and had to t2 curse of misfortunes. Locking out their creatures was not good enough, should have mulled to t1 chalice/3ball (which this deck does very well). L on t4

R2: Mikebrav on yorion D&T
    G1: OTD had a fast karn but couldn’t control the board. A few turns into the game I had opportunity to hard cast cruel reality, but instead took the more conservative bridge + murderous rider creature side. They manage to get enough mana denial so I was never able to cast my curses without drawing lands, and only drew more curses. L t10
    G2. They have no answer to t2 curse of misfortunes OTP. Playing sol lands and dark ritual in the same deck is an insane amount of fast mana that makes the 5 mana cost less unplayable than it looks. W t4

G3. t2 karn -> helm t3 helm kill gg W t3
    R3: ark4n on dredge. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/690190040?t=3h48m27s
    G1 OTD: I am a subscriber to his twitch, so I know from watching earlier he is on dredge. Mull to leyline. W T0
    G2 keep a 6 w/leyline. He removes it on my t1 and then just casts the blue looting spell but does not crack his LED to go all in. then he concede to t2 karn -> crypt. W T2

R4: Kanican on Urza Echo (with stone coil serpent?)
    G1: OTP Had a t2 helm kill with a black source, never drew it but when I drew sol land just played karn which they concede to. W t3
    G2: Answer their t1 urza with t1 rit -> rider, but the token & follow up (a stonecoil serpent then karn) kill me. L t4
    G3: T1 karn gg W T2

R5: flowrallia on hogaak.
    G1 OTD. Between his t1 supplier, several hard cast ghasts, and fetches/casting his 1 drops in hands he is able to feed gy enough to cast hogaak twice. I answer with both riders but that leaves me far enough behind for him to kill he with a topdeck vengevine. L t8
    G2: Leyline into cruel reality is essentially gg, but because of the bug don’t kill him actually until t11 with helm. W t11
    G3. Leyline into 3 ball into curse of misfortunes is essentially gg (he was stuck on 2 lands for ever and splendor stops fetches), but fool’s wisdom is exiled and cruel reality is bugged so he doesn’t actually concede until I lattice him on turn 17. W T17.

R6: basuta on dredge. (was his last played deck on mtggoldfish)
    G1 OTP: t0 leyline gg. He drags it out to see what I am doing before he has to discard to hand size. W T4.
    G2. T0 leyline, he cabal’s for chalice and wiffs, I t1 helm kill him (sol land + chome mox + drit + black card + helm)
    5-1 gets me 5th out of 63 in the swiss.

Quarters Terano on depths (nightmare mu since we are a slow deck that can’t interact with lands & it doesn’t care about our hate pieces).
    G1. Mulled a hand full of 3 balls into a fast curse hand. T1 eliminate his reclaimer into fast curse of misfortunes W T4
    G2. He strips my hand with discard and my eliminates look very sad rotting in my hand. Definitely a mu I would love to the slaughter but they are so much worse vs rug and other creature decks. L T5.
    G3. Have a t2 karn with a back up karn to play around discard. He discards the first one, hexmages the second and then discards the rest of my payoffs as I draw them.
    Loss gets me 8th.

Overall I won the MU lottery playing against lots of unfair decks and dodging fair blue. RUG MU has improved considerably since I added 6 reasonable oko answers to the maindeck, and it is good to see that I am still trashing non-depths non-blue decks with the changes. Hopefully this provides some encouragement that the deck is not just a meme and is a reasonable t2 stompy deck.
    If people enjoyed this and are interested in playing it, the discord permalink is here: https://discord.gg/hJNxrdD and I can write a mini primer.

list:

9 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Cruel Reality
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Eliminate
    1 Curse of Fool's Wisdom
    2 Castle Locthwain
    2 Murderous Rider

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Curse of Exhaustion
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Vault of Whispers
    3 Plague Engineer
    1 Dreamstealer
    2 Fatal Push
    1 Liliana, the Last Hope

Sep 2011

Great report!

R3: ark4n on dredge. https://www.twitch.tv/videos/690190040?t=3h48m27s
    G1 OTD: I am a subscriber to his twitch, so I know from watching earlier he is on dredge. Mull to leyline. W T0
    G2 keep a 6 w/leyline. He removes it on my t1 and then just casts the blue looting spell but does not crack his LED to go all in. then he concede to t2 karn -> crypt. W T2

R6: basuta on dredge. (was his last played deck on mtggoldfish)
    G1 OTP: t0 leyline gg. He drags it out to see what I am doing before he has to discard to hand size. W T4.
    lulz

This is the disadvantage of streaming. Dredge very badly needs to win game 1, and has 0% chance of doing that against maindeck Leyline + London Mulligan when you know they're on Dredge.

You must get a lot of free wins by just knowing when frequent players are on graveyard-dependent decks. BR Reanimator and Hogaak look like free wins too. That's a great advantage black Stompy has over Red and colorless versions. Fast wins from Helm are no joke either.

I noticed you cut 1 Plague Engineer for 1 Dreamstealker. When do you bring that in? How has it been?

Quote Originally Posted by FTW View Post
    Great report!

lulz

This is the disadvantage of streaming. Dredge very badly needs to win game 1, and has 0% chance of doing that against maindeck Leyline + London Mulligan when you know they're on Dredge.

You must get a lot of free wins by just knowing when frequent players are on graveyard-dependent decks. BR Reanimator and Hogaak look like free wins too. That's a great advantage black Stompy has over Red and colorless versions. Fast wins from Helm are no joke either.

I noticed you cut 1 Plague Engineer for 1 Dreamstealker. When do you bring that in? How has it been?
    Md leyline also really helps vs tribal/fair non-blue since it gives you more sideboard slots. Unlike moon stompy, where the karn package + 4 leyline takes up your entire sideboard, i have enough slots to totally sideout 3ball & trinisphere when they are bad.

Dreamstealer was not in the 4th plague engineer slot. It replaced the anti combo discard card (collective brutality/lost legacy/necromentia etc) since it is still ok there but is much better against a snoko player sitting on a pile of fows & fon (they have to fow it, and you can't fow the enternalize). Liliana replaced the 4th plague engineer since it is still ok vs tribal/fair non-blue but is much better vs snoko. I have been liking the changes except one game against infect (liliana couldn't answer inkmoth nexus). Essentially the tweaks were to make my blue midrange/control mu's better while still being acceptable for the mu's they were intended for (combo & aggro respectively)

Dreamstealer seems a nice tech =) the eternalize part is cool

Went 4-1 in the prelim. This deck is decently positioned; eliminate and dystopia makes the snowko/rug matchup close to even, and you destroy all the gy & tribal decks trying to prey on them. Also depths is nowhere to be found. Against snoko, casting haymaker after haymaker is boring but often they have trouble finding the 4th force effect out of their 8 :P , but they have little pressure when you are running 10 ways to deal with it.

Records:

LWW BR Reanimator OTD
    WLW Rug Delver OTP
    LWL Miracles + oko OTD
    WLW Snowko OTP
    W (game 1 t0 leyline lolololol) W Hogaak OTP

The pack rat cheese got forced a few times and won the game another time.

9 Snow-Covered Swamp
    4 Trinisphere
    4 Karn, the Great Creator
    2 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4 Chalice of the Void
    1 Curse of Death's Hold
    4 Ancient Tomb
    1 Cruel Reality
    4 Leyline of the Void
    1 Overwhelming Splendor
    4 Curse of Misfortunes
    4 City of Traitors
    4 Dark Ritual
    1 Helm of Obedience
    4 Chrome Mox
    4 Eliminate
    1 Curse of Fool's Wisdom
    2 Castle Locthwain
    2 Murderous Rider

1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Mycosynth Lattice
    1 Liquimetal Coating
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Sorcerous Spyglass
    1 Helm of Obedience
    1 Vault of Whispers
    4 Plague Engineer
    2 Dystopia
    2 Pack Rat
    []

Dystopia is excellent since it is the only card that can effeciently clean up an oko + elk, very impressed. Against delver sometimes you die vs arcanist with it in hand if you used eliminate on their oko earlier. So sequence carefully and that is why I am not running 4.

Had an excellent dono league with phil gallagher. I highly recommend checking out G3M3 vs snoko, some very interesting lines. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ign9eHhdCIs

Slowly puttering away at primer, here is list of plague engineer names that will hit more than 1 card. (note not necessarily the best names though)

1. RUG Delver
    a. Wizard (1/1 delver + DreadHorde Arcanist)
    2. UR Delver
    a. Wizard (1/1 delver + DHA)
    b. Human (delver both sides + Pyromancer)
    c. Faerie (sprite dragon + brazen borrower)
    d. Rogue (brazen borrower + True Name Nemesis)
    3. Goblins/Elves/Eldrazi/Slivers/Humans/Merfolk
    a. ↑
    4. D&T
    a. Human (most things)
    5. Breakfast
    a. Wizard (Cephalid Illusionist and Thassa’s oracle)
    b. Kor (Nomads-en-kor & SFM)
    6. Ninjas
    a. ↑
    b. Thopter (Changeling, ornithopter, & retrofitter)
    7. Hogaak
    a. Zombie (gravecrawler, supplier, imp, bridge from below; NOT bloodghast)
    8. Loam
    a. Human (bob, Meddling mage, Knight of the reliquary)
    b. Elf (reclaimer, leo)
    9. Maverick
    a. Human (mom, hierarch, thalia, KOTR)
    b. Dryad (arbor, Knight of Autumn)
    c. Knight (KOTR, KOA)
    10. Rector fit
    a. Human (explorer, both rectors)
    11. Titan Stompy
    a. Dryad (arbor, dryad of the illysian grove (errata))
    12. Karn Echo
    a. Construct (ballista + urza)
    13. Esper Vial
    a. Human (prince/recruiter/MM/jailer/plague engineer/peace keeper)
    14. Infect
    a. Human (Blighted agent + hierarch)
    15. Enchantress
    a. Human (argothian + setessan + destiny spinner)
    16. Yorion decks
    a. Yorion is a bird like strix but not a snake like coatl.

From my twitter:

Dismissed as hot garbage in spoiler season, I have been impressed with Pelakka Predation in my deck. Went 4-1 in my first league. It traded for 4 Forces, a Rabblemaster and 2 3feri's. Even if inefficient, this is insane for a utility land; it directly lead to the wins vs blue.

Edit: figured out how to link images

Why this is strong even though it looks so bad is because of sol lands, 3ball and mox.

Pondering for a land, a rite of flame or a duress is something that is totally reasonable in tes.

Playing this card ETB tapped, putting it under a chrome mox or casting it respectively is essentially the same thing but doesn't care about your own lock pieces. The discard mode is essentially a duress in this deck since 3ball + chalice means the only non-creature spells you care about are PW & forces usually. Occasionally it will hit creatures out of non-blue decks as a bonus.

Having 4 extra lands is also amazing in 3ball lock situations; against delver you often will go t1 3ball and then they will wasteland your sol land. Being much more likely to draw out of it than your opponent, without affecting your topdeck quality too much, is insane.

Sep 2011

From my twitter:

Dismissed as hot garbage in spoiler season, I have been impressed with Pelakka Predation in my deck. Went 4-1 in my first league. It traded for 4 Forces, a Rabblemaster and 2 3feri's. Even if inefficient, this is insane for a utility land; it directly lead to the wins vs blue.
    Interesting.

It looks like it's adding a lot of value for you by letting you run a whopping 14 black-producing lands + 4 Chrome Mox = 18 permanent black sources, which is unheard of in a stompy deck. Yet it still acts as a black card to imprint on Chrome Mox and costs the same as Thoughtseize under a Trinisphere. It also has synergy with Chalice and Eliminate, which already shuts off low-cost cards, so you only really care about the high cost ones anyway.

The deck looks very streamlined now. Before you were struggling with running some 1BB cards main to handle enemy creatures, but couldn't consistently cast them. Now you're just on 4x Eliminate + 4x Predation as diverse answers to handle their biggest threats, plus the core black Stompy package and the Curse package, and you should have a much easier time producing BB for any SB cards.

Edit: Changeling Outcast snuck in Ingenious Infiltrator with Ninjitsu

Interesting.

It looks like it's adding a lot of value for you by letting you run a whopping 14 black-producing lands + 4 Chrome Mox = 18 permanent black sources, which is unheard of in a stompy deck. Yet it still acts as a black card to imprint on Chrome Mox and costs the same as Thoughtseize under a Trinisphere. It also has synergy with Chalice and Eliminate, which already shuts off low-cost cards, so you only really care about the high cost ones anyway.

The deck looks very streamlined now. Before you were struggling with running some 1BB creatures main to handle enemy creatures. Now you're just on 4x Eliminate + 4x Predation as diverse answers to handle their biggest threats, plus the core black Stompy package and the Curse package, and you should have a much easier time producing BB for any SB cards.
    Yes, being able to cut my last BB cards MD (castle and murderous rider) makes sol lands considerably stronger. The extra black sources also allow me to get away with a karakas, which helps the gawd-aweful depths mu.

The deck is finally in a spot where everything feels fast and at least not embarassing to cast, which feels great as a brewer. As you can see in the list, the deck now divides neatly into 1/4 black mana 1/4 acceleration 1/4 disruption 1/4 expensive "win the game" cards.

What do you mean by that edit.

Edit: My mana is probably good enough at this point that I could consider 2 karakas.

Additionally the deck now feels like playing a black control deck since you have discard and removal; before eliminate & predation you just felt like any other karn deck splashing black for curse & plague engineer. In my subjective opinion that makes it more fun since you get some of the control fun of black midrange without auto-losing to veil of summer.

Sep 2011

By the edit I meant you Ninja'd in with another comment already explaining some of the stuff I speculated about, between when I read yours and when I posted. Post ninja might be an outdated meme by now...

Valakut Awakening might add value to red stompy in the same way, being mana when you need mana or card filtering when you're flooded. I like this idea of colored lands being able to play dual roles. It fills a consistency gaps that Legacy Chalice stompy decks struggle with, trying to balance mana sources with spells and deal with variance in draws.

By the edit I meant you Ninja'd in with another comment already explaining some of the stuff I speculated about, between when I read yours and when I posted. Post ninja might be an outdated meme by now...

Valakut Awakening might add value to red stompy in the same way, being mana when you need mana or card filtering when you're flooded. I like this idea of colored lands being able to play dual roles. It fills a consistency gaps that Legacy Chalice stompy decks struggle with, trying to balance mana sources with spells and deal with variance in draws.
    Ok sorry. The first post was just a cntrl+c, cntrl+v from my twitter, ninja was additional thoughts.

I definitely agree, although the untapped nature of shattergang is appealing. The tapped lands are much better spells and the mythics are very unefficient. It will be interesting to see which is better. Agadeem's does nothing in my deck so I can't comment on the relative power level of shattergang pass vs valakut awoken.

I think the uncommons are better if you want it to be a spell most of the time (like my deck) and the mythics are better if you want it to be a land most of the time (like Oops). I am not sure what side moon stompy falls on.

Sep 2011

I definitely agree, although the untapped nature of shattergang is appealing. The tapped lands are much better spells and the mythics are very unefficient. It will be interesting to see which is better. Agadeem's does nothing in my deck so I can't comment on the relative power level of shattergang pass vs valakut awoken.

I think the uncommons are better if you want it to be a spell most of the time (like my deck) and the mythics are better if you want it to be a land most of the time (like Oops). I am not sure what side moon stompy falls on.
    For Oops, they don't even care what the text on the front side says. It could be a 16-mana 1/1 and they would play it, because it's untapped colored permanent mana source that counts as a spell.

Stompy decks tend to struggle with balancing the line between having enough colored sources and having enough gas/not losing too many games to variance and flooding. The mechanic is still new, but it looks like a promising way to address both sides of the issue. It does both depending on what you need.

I think Shatterskull Smashing is overrrated for Moon Stompy. Because it takes a land drop, ETB untapped still doesn't help accelerate turn 1 lock pieces the way SSG/Ritual and Mox do, so how much does the speed matter? Losing 3 life is a big drawback for an Ancient Tomb deck, while the front side is a 5-mana Arc Lightning or 4-mana Forked Bolt (that can't even hit players) when they can already run Fiery Confluence. It just looks bad both as a mana source and as a spell. Meanwhile the spell side of Awakening looks very relevant and castable, filtering out extra mana and redundant lock pieces into more gas.

For Oops, they don't even care what the text on the front side says. It could be a 16-mana 1/1 and they would play it, because it's untapped colored permanent mana source that counts as a spell.

Stompy decks tend to struggle with balancing the line between having enough colored sources and having enough gas/not losing too many games to variance and flooding. The mechanic is still new, but it looks like a promising way to address both sides of the issue. It does both depending on what you need.

I think Shatterskull Smashing is overrrated for Moon Stompy. Because it takes a land drop, ETB untapped still doesn't help accelerate turn 1 lock pieces the way SSG/Ritual and Mox do, so how much does the speed matter? Losing 3 life is a big drawback for an Ancient Tomb deck, while the front side is a 5-mana Arc Lightning or 4-mana Forked Bolt (that can't even hit players). It just looks bad both as a mana source and as a spell. Meanwhile the spell side of Awakening looks very relevant and castable, filtering out extra mana and redundant lock pieces into more gas.
    The argument is that etb untapped is relevant for followup to t1 chalice (karn or moon or something) but I think I agree with you that having a better spell is more important.

Thread Information