Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

May 2015
    PDX

Re: iKoria Spoilers: Godzilla is a creature type now

Well that hatebear has some re-assuring text, but maybe don't push the yard to such a ridiculous value zone we need cards like this. It's also rather ineffective against Snapcaster since they kill it and go about their lives. Shouldn't see much legacy play (can't Recruiter 3 toughness), and rather poor insurance vs GY as compared to the Delver-blocking, tutorable Remorseful Cleric.

This one of those times in legacy where you really miss what the graveyard policeman [DRS] did for the format. Seems like you could do a lot for the format by something as simple as printing the exact same DRS which specifies activating a not-land mode (successfully) like 2x before being able to eat lands. Ofc it could have also just said exile target land in yard, get a mana of a type it could produce...

Looks like legacy in general dodged a bullet with Snapdax, you'd have to be 5c to play that (alt cost) with Veil. Not an encouraging sign though, toying with pretend color restrictions, if they do undercost something incorrectly. WotC really needs to recognize that PWs are kinda bullsh*t, as a card type, and card that reset landbases and battlefield to the stone age while letting people maintain a PW makes them even more abusive and degenerate.

Quote Originally Posted by Glass House View Post

Weenie for the Weenie God!
    Hatebear for the Hatebear Throne!
    I hate this card with a passion. MtG are jerks. Luckily, hatebears aren't all that popular, and the corner cases it'll excell (cast from exile, cast from graveyard) are not so prolific that it'll see lots of play. In the block, it stops mutate, so I get it. Dislike that this is one-sided, hate bears have usually been symmetrical. Still - F U R&D.

Also, silly question. When one mutates a creature, and there's an effect, such as gemrazer - that destroy an enchantment/artifact is going to happen regardless if gemrazer is the top or bottom card, correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Looks like legacy in general dodged a bullet with Snapdax, you'd have to be 5c to play that (alt cost) with Veil. Not an encouraging sign though, toying with pretend color restrictions, if they do undercost something incorrectly. WotC really needs to recognize that PWs are kinda bullsh*t, as a card type, and card that reset landbases and battlefield to the stone age while letting people maintain a PW makes them even more abusive and degenerate.
    Oh gosh, I really want to play this card, the Mythos card too, kinda sorta, but not really. I unfortunately cling onto playing a team italia deck. This looks saucy, kind of appealing to someone not sober. I used to be 4c, but then some jerks decided DRS was too good because U, so it's back to being a 3c deck. I'm shocked this is actually playable, truth be told.

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    In the block, it stops mutate, so I get it.
    It has no interaction with mutate*.

*There is one creature that can use it's mutate ability from the yard.

May 2015
    PDX

Just realized it didn’t say lands, looks like they at least recognized the implications (card unplayable). Stil the mechanic of pretending off-color mana matters when Oko is permitting Astrolabe seems like a rather poor design space.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by ahg113 View Post
    I hate this card with a passion. MtG are jerks. Luckily, hatebears aren't all that popular, and the corner cases it'll excell (cast from exile, cast from graveyard) are not so prolific that it'll see lots of play. In the block, it stops mutate, so I get it. Dislike that this is one-sided, hate bears have usually been symmetrical. Still - F U R&D.

Also, silly question. When one mutates a creature, and there's an effect, such as gemrazer - that destroy an enchantment/artifact is going to happen regardless if gemrazer is the top or bottom card, correct?
    I don't understand why this hatebear isn't symmetrical, either. The whole point of hatebears is being symmetrical to impose interesting deckbuilding restrictions.

Putting it into the same decks it's trying to hose is defeating the whole purpose of hatebears.

On a different topic:

Doesn't seem too shabby as back-up removal in WB.

New fodder for Human decks:

Name up to the air, but kinda decent at its cost:

May 2015
    PDX

Dire Tactics outclassed by both Berserk and Orzhov Charm which have life-loss engine (Shadow) aspect and modal use towards winning the game rather than being solely reactive. The exile part is better ofc vs Marit Lage specifically. Dire Tactics impedes the best engine the fair BW-core has (Dark Confidant).

I am genuinely shocked that the cycling cards this set haven't been hit with the "it's got cycling so it needs to cost 1 more and the cycling cost needs to have an extra unnecessary colored mana added to it".

I don't expect Drift or a new Rift or anything good like that, but the two cycling humans are definitely at least theoretically playable.

I wonder if the lands for this set are going to be tri-colors with cycling 2, or perhaps double hybrid cycling costs centered on their wedge.

Just saw the BR companion: it costs five, demands only odd cmc
    Costed spells and makes all your odd cmc sources deal double damage. It's of note because I noticed in the original
    Language it was spoiled in isn't creature types are "horror infernal"

What's the reason this one says "player" instead of "opponent" like Coastal Piracy does? Am I supposed to hit myself? Does this have any applications in multi player formats? Is there some new rule coming that makes this text change reasonable? Is it for some text rewrite trickery? Or just random?

May 2015
    PDX

@nupert might be an attempt to bolster the counterburn archetype, seems fine with Eidolon-types. I would also guess that there is some infinite combo creature that has text like “discard a card, deal 1 dmg to a player.” The combat dmg requirement makes this impossible, so who knows. Maybe Stuffy Doll’s redirected damage counts as combat damage if it came from a combat source?

I just recognized that Bident of Thassa has the same wording as Reconnaissance Mission so it might just be something that Wizards does like that nowadays? It still gets me wondering.

Sushi or Meat and Eggs
    Apr 2007

Some cards:

Call of the Death-Dweller 2B
    Sorcery
    Return up to two target creature cards with total converted mana cost 3 or less from your graveyard to the battlefield. Put a deathtouch counter on either of them. Then put a menace counter on either of them.

Pretty cheap way of getting two creatures from graveyard onto the battlefield. Don't know what you can do with such low CMC.

Crystalline Giant 3
    Artifact Creature - Giant
    At the beginning of combat on your turn, choose a kind of counter at random that that Crystalline Giant doesn't have on it from among flying, first strike, deathtouch, hexproof, lifelink, menace, reach, trample, vigilance, and +1/+1. Put a counter of that kind on Crystalline Giant.
    3/3

It'll get its first counter the turn it comes into play? So at worst its a 3 mana 4/4 with . . . reach? So at worst it's first attack is as a 3 mana 5/5 with reach and . . . deathtouch?

Gemrazer 3G
    Creature - Beast
    Mutate 1GG
    Reach, trample
    Whenever this creature mutates, destroy target artifact or enchantment an opponent controls.
    4/4

Seems pretty cheaply costed?

General's Enforcer WB
    Creature - Human Soldier
    Legendary Humans you control have indestructible.
    2WB: Exile target creature from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, create a 1/1 white Human Soldier creature token.
    2/3

Human Tribal? Wait . . . are legendary humans good?

Yidaro, Wandering Monster 5RR
    Legendary Creature - Dinosaur Turtle
    Trample, haste
    Cycling 1R
    When you cycle Yidaro, Wandering Monster, shuffle it into your library from your graveyard. If you've cycled a card named Yidaro, Wandering Monster four or more times this game, put it onto the battlefield from your graveyard instead.
    8/8

Would love to see if this may be slotted into somehow to Cycling decks. . . .

Zilortha, Strength Incarnate 3RG
    Legendary Creature - Dinosaur
    Trample
    Lethal damage dealt to creature you control is determined by their power rather than their toughness.
    7/3

This is new . . . essentially a 7/7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Safety View Post
    You sir are a ninja of fine quality.

May 2015
    PDX

Call of the Death-Dweller seems fine with 2x Dreadnoughts. Also perfectly fine to rebuy a Delver + Goyf/Pyro in a black-using Delver deck.

Crystalline Giant seems pretty decent in limited, but this [otherwise fine] card auto-loses to Goyf.

Yidaro seems like one of the more decent creatures in the context of Standstill, but doesn’t do enough early stop combo nor is it quick enough to snipe Oko (EoT haste trick) plus or minus combining this idea with Teferi. It’s a pretty funny combat trick/value trick engine late - particularly with a Karakas. The inherent anti-mill (in the sense that an 8/8 can kill quickly) isn’t nothing, and if you’re doing the Karakas stuff this thing is basically a Blinking Spirit on ‘roids.

Mar 2007

@Cire

Crystalline Giant doesn't work this way. The +1/+1 counter is part of the 10 counters. So it's either a 4/4 that can't further get more +1/+1 counters by itself or a 3/3 with a random ability.

Gemrazer seems alright. Worse cast scenario, you fetch a Dryad Arbor if you need to blow up something.

The first thing that comes into my mind with General's Enforcer is Leyline of Singularity. Between this and Karakas, there should a bunch of fun interactions, like Karakas + Recruiter + Vial becoming a serious engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    @nupert might be an attempt to bolster the counterburn archetype, seems fine with Eidolon-types. I would also guess that there is some infinite combo creature that has text like “discard a card, deal 1 dmg to a player.” The combat dmg requirement makes this impossible, so who knows. Maybe Stuffy Doll’s redirected damage counts as combat damage if it came from a combat source?
    Stuffy doll doesn't redirect damage it takes damage, and has a triggered ability when it takes damage.
    But if you did manage to redirect damage it would still be combat damage, yes.

Shark Typhoon.

A new (blue) variant on Decree of Justice. Don't know that it'll make Standstill a deck again, but between that and Yidaro, UR has the tools to at least make a go at it as far as win cons are concerned.

Also, standard Jeskai control is going to be a really stupid mirror.

Mar 2007

Pretty cool card. Should be good with Faithless Looting, cycling, Dack, Bazaar (in Vintage) or, if you want of YOLO your hand, LED. There should be plenty of ways to abuse this.

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post

Pretty cool card. Should be good with Faithless Looting, cycling, Dack, Bazaar (in Vintage) or, if you want of YOLO your hand, LED. There should be plenty of ways to abuse this.
    Seems like Breakthrough is the way to break it. It does it all and it doesn't cost a fortune.

May 2015
    PDX

Quote Originally Posted by nupert View Post
    Seems like Breakthrough is the way to break it. It does it all and it doesn't cost a fortune.
    I think the issue is more that you have to get up to PW mana, cast this at sorc speed, and pass the turn (into an Oko). Doubt you can afford to have a deck with Breakthrough it can’t cast until ~turn 4. Probably better off hiding the effect in the manabase with Cephalid Colosseum.

Thread Information